Author Topic: Wells Phargo phishing scam  (Read 1825 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Wells Phargo phishing scam
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
FWIW, warning for those with Wells Fargo accounts.

I have just received a probable phishing email, purporting to be from Wells Fargo.  It claims that the recipient must confirm their account information with WF, to avoid fraud.  Then, it kindly advises that accounts may be suspended, if one fails to comply.   ;/

Any-hoo, be careful, folks.  And yes, I did report it to Wells Fargo. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Wells Phargo phishing scam
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
I'm not liking Wells Fargo very much lately. The nearest ATM/ Branch is some 40 miles away. I may have to change banks. They've had these phishing scams before.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
Of course it's phishing.

NO, and I repeat that NO reputable business will ever ask you to confirm account information via an e-mail.

Also, a business that you already have a relationship with will, when they e-mail you, normally use your given name, NOT something like Dear Wells Fargo customer, Dear Client, etc.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »
I'm not liking Wells Fargo very much lately. The nearest ATM/ Branch is some 40 miles away. I may have to change banks. They've had these phishing scams before.

I've seen phishing emails for Wells Fargo, Citigroup, the local credit unions, discover, GTC, ebay, paypal, etc...

The closest ATM/Branch is one thing, but I wouldn't let some phishing schemes scare you away.  It's not like WF is the one putting them out.

I have to admit, while some have horror stories, WF has always treated me right.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
Put your mouse over the link and look in the bottom right corner of your browser.  Chances are the link will be something like rdf.gotcha.com/link/entry/ or something equally wierd.  That's one surefire way of determining a fraudulent request.

Also, as Mike iterated, no business will have you confirm your info via a link.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
I've seen phishing emails for Wells Fargo, Citigroup, the local credit unions, discover, GTC, ebay, paypal, etc...

The closest ATM/Branch is one thing, but I wouldn't let some phishing schemes scare you away.  It's not like WF is the one putting them out.

I have to admit, while some have horror stories, WF has always treated me right.

I got one for Bank of America* as well, and I think my brother got one for a local bank that handles his student loans. 

There are phishing scams for pretty much every major bank out there, and not a few of the local ones. 

*At the time the FBI was investigating that one and was asking anyone who received that email to report it to them, so I ended up sending them a report.   I hope they caught the bastards (though the attempt was transparent to anyone who knew what to look for, thankfully).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Also, as Mike iterated, no business will have you confirm your info via a link.

But it gots pretty horsies on it! 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:26 PM »
I was leary of this so I gave them my neighbors account info.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »
I've gotten them for Royal Bank of Scotland.

I normally give a string of 0 followed by a 1 as my "account number," and my password is something very filthy...  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48:29 AM »
someone once sent me as a joke the info on a very famous person while kidding me about getting a few credit cards. if it wasn't someone i admire i'd be tempted to use it on a phishing scam. wonder if they'd have the gnads to use their info.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I