Author Topic: Favorite cheap beer  (Read 10391 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Favorite cheap beer
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:31 AM »
Santa Claus sent me a case of Yuengling for Christmas.

Otherwise, it's New Glarus Spotted Cow in my fridge as the standard.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:36:52 AM »
gonna have to go with PBR. although i will drink bud when thats what there (i'm just not as picky as you gentleman)

back in college, me and my friend lilly could get reasonably drunk on a couple pitchers of PBR and not break our very limited budgit. the best night at the bar was when the PBR rep was at the bar. we drank for free that night.  =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:02 AM »
Miller High Life.

I don't actually like it, but the... flavor, I guess you might call it... brings back memories of good times.  :| =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »
Yeungling.  About 8 bucks a Twelver of bottles. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »

Yuengling or Sam Adams.  Nothing less.  8 bucks for a 12 pack, Jamis?   Hrm.  Must be shipping costs.  I tend to pick it up within a stone's throw of the brewery in Pottsville.   

My favorite is the Stone Brewing Co selection.   I like Ruination over Arrogant Bastard, but either will do.  Definitely not cheap, but quality is worth it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
My favorite is the Stone Brewing Co selection
Mine too, Stone and Lost Abbey.
But this is a cheap beer thread! 

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Well since I already mentioned my favorite (most tolerable?) cheap beer and the thread has drifted somewhat to good beer, here are my favorites:

1. Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, by a longshot.  If you can get this brew in your area, you MUST try it.   
2. Bell's Hell Hath No Fury Ale.
3. Sam Adams Boston Ale.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
Another vote for PBR.
When I want good beer I brew my own. When I want cheap and easy I'll have a Pabst.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

bmitchell

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
I'm very partial to J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown, but it's not as cheap as the day is long.
I also really like Tecate but I have no idea how much it costs, since I've never bought any.
I'd say for the cheapest I like, Miller High Life (the Champagne of Beers) retains the title.

Ben

mfree

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 09:16:39 AM »
I've a vague recollection of posting in a thread almost exactly like this one.... huh.

Anyways, Miller High Life. It's not bitter, not skunky, not obviously watery like some of the other "commercial" beers. Drinks like a soda.

Yuengling is a close second but I've noticed that it gets a little skunked with age, and I never seem to get through a six pack before the last two bottles aren't nearly as good as the first ones. Otherwise it's very good cheap beer.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
I've been known to turn down free beer when its Miller/bud/pbr/etc......
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
When I lived in Chicago, the only "cheap" beer I drank regularly was Hamm's . . . during the mid '70s, you could get a 24-can case for $3.99, which was cheap even then. (Hamm's used to run commercials with cartoons of the Hamm's Bear during White Sox games.)

The cheap beer I drank when I was in Minnesota was Heileman's "Old Style", or more often, their "Special Export." When I found it, I also liked Ballantine Ale, mentioned earlier in this thread. Leinenkugel's was decent then, too.

In grad school, I had Genesee 12-Horse Ale along with Molson's and Labatt's, both of which were pretty cheap in NY.

Now in Texas, I pretty much stick to various Sam Adams varieties (except that awful Cherry Wheat and disgusting Cranberry Lambic!) along with Pete's Wicked Ale, none of which are particularly cheap. (Haven't seen Pete's for a while . . . )

(Remember Old Milwaukee? IMHO, that needed to be put back in the horse it came out of . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
I can drink just about any beer if it's cold enough.l

I could never get Hamm's cold enough.

God that stuff was disgusting.

National Bohemian was my cheap beer of choice for years.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Anyone remember Old Dutch beer? How about USA (u save a lot) beer? That wes back in the early 80's.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »
If Carling Black Label is not available I'll go with Miller.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
Sam Adams is about the cheapest I can drink. In Florida, the cheap stuff was Red Stripe beer from Jamaica.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
Coors Original.
The other legend since 1873.

I actually prefer my whiskey better.

USA Beer was that the stuff in the short bottles for like $2.00 a case?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
I used to drink Blatz with my neighbour 15+ years ago. wasn't bad, eventhough it was the cheapest beer available at the time. mostly I drank st pauli girl dark. these days i drink iced tea.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
Shiner..............except the lite.........drinking lite beer is like eating a tufu burger, why bother.......chris3

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
Shiner..............except the lite.........drinking lite beer is like eating a tufu burger, why bother.......chris3

We always said lite beer was like having sex in a boat.
Fing near water.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
My tastes are odd that I like beer at the two extremes, but not much in the middle.  If I need a lot (for a camping trip, for example), I'll go with something like Miller High Life or MGD (Killians if I can find it on sale), but if I want a beer or two for an evening, I'll go to Total Beverage and peruse the import/boutique beer section and find a heavy Scottish or English Ale or maybe a heavy porter/stout.  I'll end up spending as much or more on 2 beers as I would on a sixer of Miller.

I don't have much love for stuff like Sam Adams, Shiner, Pete's Wicked, etc.  I do drink Old Dominion from time to time because it's a local microbrew, but even then I mainly drink their barleywine or bourbon stout, not their other stuff.  Yuengling is ok, but doesn't have enough "bite" for me.  My wife likes it, so I end up buying it more often than I would otherwise.

BTW, the reason Yuengling is "inexpensive" (different than "cheap") is because a bunch of investors pumped money into the company so it could take it's products nationwide and compete with the likes of Budweiser.  Before that happened, they were not an inexpensive beer in Virginia.

I used to be a beer snob, but I couldn't afford to be when I was going on week-long deer or turkey hunting trips.  Plus, I realized I actually like the taste of Miller High Life and MGD, especially on a boiling hot day when the beer has been sitting in ice water. :D

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
I just wish they'd have followed through on their goal to make Yuengling a nation-wide product.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

psyopspec

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
I used to drink Blatz with my neighbour 15+ years ago.

Wasn't that the brand that if you saved up 3 UPC's, you could send away for a free .22 rifle?  Just pay shipping and handling!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »
I just wish they'd have followed through on their goal to make Yuengling a nation-wide product.   =(

Here's an oddity.....Yeungling is widespread regionally.  However its hard as hell to get in WV, they don't sell it there.  Not sure why.  Brought some with me on a fishing trip last summer and it was a major hit with the WV crew.  Most of 'em have had it, when they are fishing in VA.....
 :laugh:
JD