Author Topic: More hope and change!  (Read 3516 times)

erictank

• friends
More hope and change!
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
From http://hotair.com/archives/2009/01/29/the-age-of-obama-heat-for-me-but-not-for-thee/, found via a link from a Yahoo news article.

The Age of Obama: Heat for me, but not for theeposted at 10:44 am on January 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
Send to a Friend | Share on Facebook | printer-friendly Last week, Barack Obama caused quite a stir when he allowed himself to be photographed in the Oval Office without wearing a suit jacket, ending the Bush tradition of coat-and-tie for the West Wing.  The New York Times reports on how Obama made that possible during a colder-than-usual Washington winter.  All Obama did was turn up the thermostat to Hawaii hothouse levels:
The capital flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his first full day in the White House, President Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat.
“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?” said Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, who occupies the small but strategically located office next door to his boss. “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”
Thus did a rule of the George W. Bush administration — coat and tie in the Oval Office at all times — fall by the wayside, only the first of many signs that a more informal culture is growing up in the White House under new management. Mr. Obama promised to bring change to Washington and he has — not just in substance, but in presidential style.
And thus did the Times fall down on the job yet again in the Age of Obama.  While candidate Obama talked endlessly of the need for energy conservation and limits on the use of fuels that produce so-called greenhouse gases, President Obama has no trouble heating the White House for himself to greenhouse levels, according to David Axelrod.  Did the Times even note the hypocrisy, or at the very least the incongruity, in its report on Obama’s White House?  Not at all.
Many people in America, especially where I live, would like to heat their homes to a comfort level where sweaters and coats become unnecessary.  However, Obama and the Democrats want to impose ruinous taxes and penalties on energy production and fuel that produces carbon dioxide — a naturally-occurring element — and make that choice economically unbearable for us.  In fact, candidate Obama spoke directly to that end in May of this year:
“We can’t drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times … and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK,” Obama said.
“That’s not leadership. That’s not going to happen,” he added.
Well, apparently some of us can, and those lucky few do call themselves “leaders”.  The rest of us call them hypocrites as we fetch another sweater.

"I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning!"  :laugh:

On the plus side, one would imagine that The One would almost HAVE to back off of pushing the "Gorebal Warming Climate Change" thing, right?

Right?

zahc

• friend
Re: More hope and change!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
It's especially bad in the winter because heating the place not only burns energy, but puts heat into the environment at the same time. At least running air conditioning cools things down while it burns energy. Yotuba Koiwai would not approve.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lone_gunman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
I don't like Obama, but with all the problems we have ahead of us, arguing about the temperature in the Oval Office seems ridiculous.  No wonder the Republicans got their asses handed to them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
I don't like Obama, but with all the problems we have ahead of us, arguing about the temperature in the Oval Office seems ridiculous.  No wonder the Republicans got their asses handed to them.

So, you think because people on the internet talk about Obamian hypocrisy, that's why Republicans have been losing elections?  Srsly?  By internet standards, this is another Teapot Dome.  And to extrapolate, the TDS would have been like Pearl Harbor.  And Pearl Harbor would have been TEOTWAWKI.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lone_gunman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »
So, you think because people on the internet talk about Obamian hypocrisy, that's why Republicans have been losing elections? 

Republicans have lost elections because they are out of touch and not focusing on the right things  Getting all worked up into a lather over the temperature in the Oval Office while the economy crashes and burns is simply the latest manifestation of this.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:27 AM »
I see what you're saying.  It's just that I don't see any Republicans getting worked up into a lather about this.  It's the first I've heard of it.  People talk a lot, about a lot of little petty nonsense on the internet.  That doesn't mean the Republican Party is including this in their daily talking points.   :rolleyes:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:22 AM »
I'm not worried....Washington DC has a surplus of hot air...I'm just glad to see it finally put to good use....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »
“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?”

I thought he was from Chicago.

Yeah, he was supposedly born in Hawaii, but his previous gigs after school all seemed to center around the South Side.

Is it possible the aide who uttered those words does not his boss' history?  Or did we just get another "change" - where you are born defines you for life.

If the latter, I'm investing in shave ice carts and Spam. :angel:

stay safe.  Try not to be confused.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »
Obama's new slogan "do as I say, not as I do"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »
I'm sure Jimmy Carter can lend Barack some of those old sweaters he wanted us all to wear.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 01:41:07 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:56:19 PM by Don't care »