Author Topic: It keeps getting worse every day. Is this ever going to end?  (Read 7295 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
It keeps getting worse every day. Is this ever going to end?
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
Next up: Let The Unions Destroy Everything Task Force, Led by a Liberal Ideologue.

=(

January 31, 2009
Obama Moves to Reverse Bush’s Labor Policies
By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON — On yet another morning of grim economic news, President Obama sought to further distance himself from his predecessor on Friday as he announced steps that he said would strengthen organized labor and improve the lot of middle-class Americans.

At a White House ceremony, the president signed three executive orders that he said would “reverse many of the policies towards organized labor that we’ve seen these last eight years, policies with which I’ve sharply disagreed.”

Soon afterward, Vice President Biden drew applause when he flung another dart at former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney (on Mr. Cheney’s 68th birthday) as he told labor officials in the audience, “Welcome back to the White House.”

Mr. Obama, following up on his Thursday condemnation of “shameful” bonuses for Wall Street bankers, seized on the latest economic numbers to push yet again for enactment of his $800 billion-plus economic stimulus package. He and Mr. Biden spoke not long after the nation’s gross domestic product reflected its greatest contraction in a quarter-century.

“So this is a difficult moment,” Mr. Obama said, “but I believe if we act boldly and swiftly it can be an American moment, when we work through our differences together and overcome our divisions to face this crisis.”

“While our G.D.P. may have grown smaller, it’s undiminished when it comes to our innovative spirit, our work ethic, our values and our resolve and resilience as Americans,” the president said.

The orders he signed, which union officials say will undo Bush administration policies that tilted toward employers, would require federal contractors to offer jobs to current workers when contracts change, and would make it more difficult for federal contractors to discourage union activities.

In addition, Mr. Biden said the first meeting of the previously announced task force “to bring together those Cabinet members who have the greatest impact on the well-being of the middle class” would be Feb. 27 in Philadelphia. The task force will look at issues as diverse as health care and college opportunities, Mr. Biden said, and will focus on “restoring the balance in the workplace.”

The task force will be led by Jared Bernstein, a prominent liberal economist who has been writing a study on the impact of Mr. Obama’s stimulus plan. The focus of the first meeting will be “green jobs, those jobs that pay well, can’t be outsourced and will help us move toward a cleaner, more self-sufficient energy future,” Mr. Biden said.

Future monthly meetings will be held across the country to discuss the mundane but essential concerns of working people like child care, workplace safety and retirement security, the vice president said. The administration has set up a Web site, AStrongMiddleClass.gov, that Mr. Biden said would tell people what their government was doing and invite them to share their thoughts.

The president and vice president did not precisely define the “middle class,” a term used in conversation and politics to describe aspirations as well as income levels. But it was clear that they were not speaking of the Wall Street people who shared in the enormous bonuses that Mr. Obama denounced on Thursday.

“These are the men and the women who form the backbone of our economy, the most productive workers in the world,” Mr. Obama said.

When Mr. Bush was president, he often used virtually identical language in describing American workers, but he generally emphasized entrepreneurship and small business more than Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden did today.

“I do not view the labor movement as part of the problem,” Mr. Obama said. “To me, it’s part of the solution.”

But the president said there need not be a conflict between “the interests of workers and the interests of shareholders,” and that American business and industry could be “lean and mean” and thus competitive in the global marketplace.

Mr. Biden said that, by lifting the middle class, the new administration would improve life for the poor — “and by the way, the wealthy do better as well. Everyone does better.”

Mr. Obama’s and Mr. Biden’s remarks pleased union leaders. “It’s a new day for workers,” said James P. Hoffa, the Teamsters president, who attended the White House ceremony. “We finally have a White House that is dedicated to working with us to rebuild our middle class. Hope for the American Dream is being restored.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/31/business/economy/31obamacnd.html?hp

buzz_knox

• friend
Re: It keeps getting worse every day. Is this ever going to end?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
But the president said there need not be a conflict between “the interests of workers and the interests of shareholders,” and that American business and industry could be “lean and mean” and thus competitive in the global marketplace.

BS.  The unions need this conflict to remain in power, and he needs the unions so that he can remain in power.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
So what were the actual executive orders.  It didn't really say.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
It keeps getting worse every day. Is this ever going to end?

Perhaps, once they drive business into the ground hard enough that basic needs aren't being met anymore.

Atlas Shrugged:  Not just fiction anymore!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
So how much of the work force is unionized that fits middle class incomes?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
Perhaps, once they drive business into the ground hard enough that basic needs aren't being met anymore.

Atlas Shrugged:  Not just fiction anymore!

Well, the Machinist's Union striking and refusing to accept any concessions just caused Boeing to close down its entire landing gear manufacturing division and fire 10,000 workers, so they're off to a great start!

This is getting scarier by the day.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
It just got worse.  Michael "you don't need an assault weapon to go hunting" Steele is the new RNC chairman.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
It just got worse.  Michael "you don't need an assault weapon to go hunting" Steele is the new RNC chairman.

The one who was proud that he owned zero guns?

Oh, f... :P

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:56:27 PM »
OK, minor nitpick...

>Jared Bernstein, a prominent liberal economist who has been writing a study on the impact of Mr. Obama’s stimulus plan<

Ummm... woldn't that have to, at this time, qualify as a complete work of fiction?

And wasn't it partly "strong labor" that crippled the big three?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
OK, minor nitpick...

>Jared Bernstein, a prominent liberal economist who has been writing a study on the impact of Mr. Obama’s stimulus plan<

Ummm... woldn't that have to, at this time, qualify as a complete work of fiction?

That history will be revised. It will have been caused by evil rich people.

Won't you look forward to reading the new editions of what had happened that you didn't know because you were too busy seeing what was actually going on at the time to understand the truth?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
OK, minor nitpick...

You understand how Obama-style trickle down economics works, right?

They dictate from on high and the results of it trickle down to you.  Hence the need for a psychic liberal economist to scry the tea leaves and tell us the results of unrealized, unimplemented and unsigned legislation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
OK, thanks for explaining all that to me. Had me confused for a minute...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
The sooner we all face what is really coming and what we need to do to survive the better off we'll be.  There is nothing opaque about the agenda and the goals here.

Is this ever going to end?  "This" will end when people like those on this forum are in museums.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »
Is this ever going to end?  "This" will end when people like those on this forum are in museums.

I have the sinking feeling that history will be completely rewritten so that people like "us" won't be noted at all.

"Half of writing history is hiding the truth".

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
i think the labor leaders need to disclose their pay AND PERKS package. it would make donald trump blush.  then disclose that of all their relative employed by the union.  the corruption is a part of the culture
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:41 PM »
You understand how Obama-style trickle down economics works, right?

reagan already used that term, this will have to be  president obama's "trickle up" economics.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »

Graves. Unmarked graves.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jeff B.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »
I've already heard that there are a number of trucking companies that have pretty much made up their minds that they'll go out of business if the Employee Free Choice Act is enacted.  The intimidation and pressure that accompanies the "Card Check" program and the resultant imposition of a contract by a government appointed "mediator" is not something they are prepared to cope with.

If the Teamsters Union through the support of the Obama Administration gain any real traction in the trucking industry, you can look forward to seeing the inflation we've been worried about getting going.

Jeff B.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 01:54:22 AM »

I'd say it's plausible, though indirectly responsible for their problems.  A reputation for poor reliability was certainly at play over the last 20 years or so, but that could very well be a consequence of paying more for assembly labor and not having enough left for R&D and engineering.

The other day I heard on the local NPR affiliate one of Michigan's state reps going on about how he's "never heard of a business moving out of Michigan because of taxes."  I thought to myself, "Yeah, well, you never hear of a business moving INTO Michigan because of low taxes either." I started to think about that.  I've been looking at buying cars since the wife's was totalled a few weeks ago and there almost everything we were looking at I'd find, via Wikipedia, was built in Ohio or Indiana.

"That's probably because they're better on taxes." I thought to myself and then I started to talk myself out of it.  Obviously the taxes in Michigan weren't bad enough for GM and Ford to move their business out of state.  No even the automotive suppliers that dot the countryside here bothered to move out of state. Sure, new stuff was built south of the border, but was it just because of taxes?  And then it hit me:

If you built something up here in Michigan next to unionized GM and Ford plants, even if you weren't unionized yourself, you'd have to compete with their wages and benefits packages.  You slide yourself 4-6 hours south of here and you've got a totally new labor pool.  It's just an added bonus that Indiana and Ohio are a bit more business friendly, not the actual driving reason for those locations.

Businesses build in areas where they can get cheap labor.  Dell did it in Ireland, IT companies are teaming up with Indian development shops, auto has been building in Mexico for a while, etc.  Heck, I remember an article a few years ago about how companies were accepting telecommuting because they could hire up skilled workers that lived in rural areas with a lower cost of living.  The same thing happens right here within our own borders.

So, yeah, I think it was high labor costs that really hurt GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:38 AM »
The other day I heard on the local NPR affiliate one of Michigan's state reps going on about how he's "never heard of a business moving out of Michigan because of taxes."

I left Michigan in 1980, when reported unemployment in the upper peninsula was over 35%. The state is a monument to the rapaciousness of unions and professional victims of imaginary "racism."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 11:33:32 AM »
reagan already used that term, this will have to be  president obama's "trickle up" economics.

Michael Savage calls it "Trickle up Poverty".

I've already heard that there are a number of trucking companies that have pretty much made up their minds that they'll go out of business if the Employee Free Choice Act is enacted.

They shouldn't need much of a nudge. My dad already has had a trucking business go down due to the fuel bubble followed by the current drying-up of freight in the Midwest. It's impressive if any trucking companies but the veny biggest are in business at all anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
Hadn't read much about the Employee Free Choice Act until now, that would be an unmitigated disaster. I wonder if right to work states can sue the Feds for overstepping their bounds?  ;/

The EO concerning unions and government contracts are hilarious. So, here's what you do if you work for Blackwater in the sandbox and you like your tax-free check. First, organize a union. Second, sue Triple Canopy and DynCorp if they fail to offer you employment once they take over Blackwater's contract. Hilarity ensues.  =D

Why any company would bid on federal work under those union rules is beyond me. The EO concerning making it difficult for companies to discourage union organization pretty much guts any corporation with a labor relations department, that's their job.

I previously said I wanted Obama to do his four years quietly because any early exit would fuel a really bad race relations problem. Now, I hope he finds his Watergate. Quick. I also hope the loyal? opposition unsticks their collective head by the 2010 election and remodels Congress. This stuff is getting ridiculous, if I wanted to read Ayn Rand I'd read it, not the headlines on Reuters.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

djw

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Sure looks like the current administration believes that you can spend your way into prosperity. A mighty attempt to outspend the last ruler is underway. Gratefully I am 64 and won't have to see too much more of this foolishness................
Dave

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »

Economy is getting worse, allegedly.  If the Employee Free Choice Act passes, American industry is screwed.  EFCA is that bad.

Sigh.  I have a feeling things aren't going to get better for a couple of years.  My only hope out of all this mess is that housing prices correct.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
Judd Gregg (R-New Hamp.) is about to leave the Senate for a cabinet post with the Obamas.  Hmmm.  Now 'splain that one to me.  It doesn't compute.  I'm figuring Sen. Gregg has been promised the world to give the Dems the 60 Senate seats (after he's replaced by a Dem appointee) they crave.  The GOP needs to wake up and recognize what is happening here.  The fix is in.  They need to NOT COOPERATE with anything Obama proposes.  Let Obama go it alone and take full responsibility for everything that happens.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.