Author Topic: Michael Steele wins RNC chairmanship race  (Read 9139 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Michael Steele wins RNC chairmanship race
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
I hope that 'in with the new' will do something to urge the majority of Conservative voters to vote in the next election.  We still need Conservative people to run in all election districts.

Michael Steele wins RNC chairmanship race
Former Maryland Lt. Governor to be first African-American chair
Associated Press
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28914110/

WASHINGTON - Michael Steele was elected Republican National Committee chairman on Friday, defeating the incumbent party chief and three other challengers over six rounds of voting to become the first black to lead the GOP.

The former Maryland lieutenant governor takes over a beleaguered GOP as Republicans seek to rebound from back-to-back defeats in national elections that gave Democrats control of Congress and the White House.

"As a little boy growing up in this town, this is awesome," said Steele, the most moderate candidate in the field and considered an outsider because he's not a committee member.

In a brief acceptance speech, the new GOP chairman struck a tone of inclusiveness.

"We're going to say to friend and foe alike: We want you to be a part of us, we want you to with be with us, and for those who wish to obstruct, get ready to get knocked over," Steele said.

He won 91 votes out of a possible 168 in the sixth round. A simple majority of 85 was needed, but it took six rounds for Steele to win
[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:06:01 PM by Desertdog »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Michael Steele wins RNC chairmanship race
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
Borrowed from another thread.....

It just got worse.  Michael "you don't need an assault weapon to go hunting" Steele is the new RNC chairman.

The one who was proud that he owned zero guns?

Oh, f... :P

I'm pretty sure we've just seen the final nail driven into the GOP coffin......how are the Libertarians holding up?....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
Republican National Committee: "we ran the most liberal person with an R in front of their name we could, and we STILL lost! Uh, ummm, well.... let's try a black guy."

Idiots....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »
D-dog, did you just quote a source, without attribution?   :|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »
D-dog, did you just quote a source, without attribution?
It was an Associated Press release but it did't copy.

URL put in place, also. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
hes allowed to not own guns and be proud of it.  the 2nd amendmant doesn't require you to it allows you to
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
He's allowed to. Doesn't bode well for us tho.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
Wait a minute, he's not a committee member, but they elected to lead the committee?  What the hell is that all about?
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
It was an Associated Press release but it did't copy.

URL put in place, also. 
What? No APA citation? Heads will roll! :police:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Wait a minute, he's not a committee member, but they elected to lead the committee?  What the hell is that all about?

They needed a Black Dude because the other side had a Black Dude, and look where it got them!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
And WHO IS JOHN GALT?
Consider that a most vile proclamation?

So as a constant stream of the inane policy and legislation is gearing up in DC for the biggest run on the window of opportunity. Obomitron has 2 years to make his utopia and then two more to prove it.
Who is Steele, what has he done, what does he say that he wants. Wishing and hoping he has some kind of conservative bone or hair to validate him will not change the fact of where he came from. Maybe send the Nuge to council him. Take him hunting. With Cheney.

A search on michael steele maryland
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=michael+steele+maryland&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:12:07 PM by txgho1911 »
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

nico

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 10:16:23 PM »
You know, I've heard plenty of interviews with Steele, and I voted for him for Senate.  He always struck me as a decent guy who was reasonably straightforward on where he stood on issues.  That said, he's a bad pick for RNC chair.  I'm 25 and have held my nose and voted Republican for every election I've voted in.  If they move any farther to the left, I'm not holding my nose anymore. :mad:

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Someone wrote about him claiming a Reagan roll model.
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=17295
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 12:58:25 AM »
Yeah, nobody rolled like Reagan.   :lol: =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 04:59:32 AM »
hes allowed to not own guns and be proud of it.  the 2nd amendmant doesn't require you to it allows you to

He helped rule a state that didn't allow the peasants to. And did not try to change that fact, he was content that he was a special sort that enjoyed the right denied to the common people...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 05:05:46 AM »
"As a little boy growing up in this town, this is awesome," said Steele, the most moderate candidate in the field...

MSNBC so-called "moderate" Republicans get—and deserve—no respect whatever. Not so very long ago, the editors of the New York Times couldn't praise McCain highly enough. He was their kind of RINO, all right.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

nico

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 07:39:12 AM »
He helped rule a state that didn't allow the peasants to. And did not try to change that fact, he was content that he was a special sort that enjoyed the right denied to the common people...

umm, you can own guns in maryland.  I wish their administration had been more pro-gun, but it's not like they could have gotten any pro-gun legislation passed here anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »
Borrowed from another thread.....

I'm pretty sure we've just seen the final nail driven into the GOP coffin......how are the Libertarians holding up?....  =(

Come on over to the dark side......

Of course if the LP itself had half a brain, now would be the time to strike.  The GOP is on its death bed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
http://www.lp.org/
We don't all wear wookie suits, I promise....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »
JJ: after reading this article, I may consider it....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2009/01/steele_elected_rnc_chair.html?nav=rss_email/components

washingtonpost.com's Politics Blog
About This Blog   |   Meet Chris Cillizza   |    RSS Feed   (What's RSS?)
Steele Elected RNC Chair
The Republican National Committee elected Michael Steele as its first African American chairman today in Washington, a decision that came after an excruciating series of ballots that displayed a level of drama rarely seen in national politics.

Michael Steele speaks at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn. last September. (AP)On the sixth and final ballot Steele bested South Carolina Republican party Chairman Katon Dawson 91 to 77.

"It's time for something completely different and we are going to bring it to them," Steele said after his victory. "This is our opportunity. I cannot do this by myself." (Watch the full speech.)

Steele acknowledged that the GOP has an "image problem" but cast his election as a "new moment" for the Republican Party.

Asked about the controversy surrounding Rush Limbaugh and his back and forth with President Barack Obama, Steele was careful not to wholly embrace the controversial conservative talk radio host. "Rush will says what Rush has to say, we will do what we have to do as a party," said Steele

In picking Steele, who had previously served as the chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, the state's lieutenant governor, and the GOP nominee in the Maryland Senate race in 2006, the party regulars seem to be acknowledging the need for new -- and different -- faces at the top of its food chain.

"The winds of change are blowing at the RNC," said current chair Mike Duncan who stepped aside after losing votes on each of the first three ballots.

After five ballots, the race came down to Steele and Dawson. Republican party strategists in attendance at the meeting openly fretted about the possibility of electing Dawson, who had acknowledged his membership in a whites-only club, and the signal it would send to a country that had just elected Obama as the nation's first black president.

Of Obama, Steele offered the president congratulations for his victory but also sought to send a message to the Democratic chief executive; "How do you like me now," Steele asked.

It was -- interestingly -- former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell who ultimately swung the race to Steele when he dropped out before the fifth ballot and endorsed the former lieutenant governor. The move was somewhat unexpected as Blackwell had staked out the turf as the most socially conservative candidate in the field while Steele had had to beat back rumors that he was not sufficiently conservative.

Steele faces a massive challenge to rebuild a party that faces significant organizational, financial and messaging hurdles.

The Democratic National Committee is up and running and will have the benefit of the 13 million person strong email list that Obama built during the primary. Democrats also have the luxury of controlling the White House and both chambers of Congress.

Steele will provide a charismatic face at the top of the GOP but will be tested to show an ability to raise the money necessary to compete with the DNC in 2009 races (governors contests in Virginia and New Jersey) as well as the critical 2010 midterm elections.

If you missed our live Twitter coverage of the RNC proceedings -- and they were FAR more dramatic than you might think -- you can catch up on it all on TheHyperFix feed.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
Of course if the LP itself had half a brain, now would be the time to strike.
Maybe it is time for them to take over the Republican Party.  At least they would be able to run in all 50 states with no hassles.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:30:14 AM by Desertdog »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
Maybe it is time for them to take over the Republican Party.  At least they would be able to run in all 50 states with no hassles.

^Here is wisdom.

I've got an (R) on my voter card, but I'm definitely more of an (L) at heart.  I've been approached by folks to look into becoming a precinct committeeman.  While the title sounds vaguely Orwellian, it is the lowest rung of the actual voting bloc of the republican party when it comes to candidate choosing time.

We're trying it here in AZ... give it a try in your corner of the world.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
The GOP, what's left of it, should leave identity politics to the other side.  They are so desperate to be liked.  It's pathetic.  They have no future as as the party of Those-Trying-Too-Hard-To-Be-Hip.

Someone in this country has to be The Designated Driver.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »

The GOP faithful would fight them tooth and nail.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
The GOP faithful would fight them tooth and nail.

From the looks of things, I doubt they have much fight left. And, by looking at the age of the "GOP faithful" like McCain & Cheney, there won't be any left after 10 years...