Author Topic: Car shopping....opinions?  (Read 6653 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Car shopping....opinions?
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
OK, finally time to get rid of the mini van. Smiley
Went window shopping today, and looked at the following:
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralli-art (didn't have any Evo's)
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Nissan Sentra SE-R
Saturn Ion Quad-coupe Red Line
Mini Cooper S

Mixed reactions from the home team; SWMBO likes the Saturn and the Mini, daughter REALLY likes the Mini and the Eclipse. As for me, if I were the only one deciding, I'd be all over the Eclipse like a puppy on a porkchop, but the lack of a functional back seat kind of rules it out for a 3 person family. I also like the Sentra SE-R and the Mini (hope I can talk SWMBO in to the Works package).

Any of you fine folks have any input on any of these? Or further suggestions to look at (price cap 35k)? Looking for new, economical and somewhat sexy Wink

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
go buy an old thunderbird turbo coupe for a few grand and spend the rest on guns.  done.  

cool ride.  quick, yet fuel and space efficient, and about 30k less than you planned on spending.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 04:55:17 PM »
I suggest you DO NOT get a Mitsubishi.

Look on the road and see how many older models you see.

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant.  It was a great car& until it hit 100,000 Miles.  
1. These cars are not made to last.  I replace the same belt every 3 months because the dealership can not figure out why it shreds them.  
2. The a/c compressor has gone out twice.  
3. The clear coat is almost completely gone.  So the car is very ugly and starting to rust.
4. Transmission slips...

The list goes on.  I seem to repairing the same problem over and over again.

I forgot to add -  Parts are EXPENSIVE.  Every time I go to repair my Mitsubishi it costs me a lot. A simple distributor cap and rotor cost me over 30 bucks.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
Have you considered VWs?  If you get the TDI engine you'll be getting 45+ mpg.  Now that's what I call sexy.

RGO

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:12:28 PM »
Seems like you're looking for something sporty and small, but with decent passenger volume.  I'd take a look at the Mazda 6.

50 Shooter

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:19:51 PM »
Look at the Acura's,  I like the TSX and RSX models. Both come in below your price range.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=tsx
http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=rsx

The Honda Civic and Accord are nice also.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 05:32:43 PM »
Definitely check out the new Honda Civic.  I know that most people don't equate the Civic with "sporty", but that's all changed.  I stopped by a dealer lot to look at one, and holy crap!  Both the coupe and sedan look great, of course the coupe does look sportier.  Although you're probably looking to spend more than $16,000 or so, check it out anyway.  You'll be amazed that such a refined, stylish car could cost so little.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
J.J., thanks. That is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for.  Sorry for your problems.
MaterDei, I've heard (rumors) that VW's quality has been going downhill of late. Care to refute?
RGO, Mazda is on the list for next weekend.
50 Shooter, I've shyed away from Hondas and Acuras due to a perception that they're overpriced. Am I wrong on this?
baus44, nice try. I've got the gun money already set aside. This is to keep SWMBO happy. Smiley

Any opinions on the Saturn or the Mini?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »
Hondas and Acuras are overpriced. That's because the dealers know the odds are high you're not going to be coming back for service very soon.

Most Volkswagens are now made in Mexico.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
I love my Subaru Outback.

Not exactly sexy (WRX does that, I guess), but it's mountain goat sure on bad roads and I can haul my dogs around in it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 07:17:48 PM »
SW, good point on the Hondas and Acuras. I'll check it out.
Declaration Day, didn't mean to slight you, we were typing at the same time. We will check out the Hondas.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 05:29:43 AM »
If you're liking the Ion, check out the new Cobalt SS. Same car, better dash, much better interior.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:17:29 AM »
garyk/nm: Be aware that the Sentra SE-R uses the 2.5L engine IIRC, and there are TWO issue with the design the came up in recent (2000 onward) models.

1. On some production runs, somebody forgot or neglected to use or specify use of "locktite" on the small screws that hold a butterfly valve in place inside the intake runner of the engine.  This has lead to the screw coming loose and being ingested by the engine.  Much fun results (but not for the owner)

2. The combination of placement of a pre-catalytic converter just down stream of the engine, possible faulty catylist material and valve timing as lead to the pre-cat breaking down on some cars and being aspirated back into the cylinder via the exhaust valve.  The pre-cat is a ceramic item and the small pieces/dust does bad BAD things to the oil control rings on the engine.  I've read of at least one owner who is on his THIRD engine (fortunatly courtesy of Nissan)

This MAY have been addressed with the 2006 model year

You can read more here: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/

I have a 2006 Sentra, but opted for 1.8 S since it does not have those issues, and the one on the lot had a 5 speed gear box, ABS and side airbags  instead of the nasty automatic slush box the SE-R on the lot did , and "sexy" is irrelevant to me (no car even comes close to the sexy-factor of my red '94 Suzuki Intruder).

As for the Saturn, I recall some issue with oil consumption on those engine as well in past years.

50 Shooter, I've shyed away from Hondas and Acuras due to a perception that they're overpriced. Am I wrong on this?
Honda does charge a premium for their name, but overall they are VERY reliable vehicle.  My Sentra's predecessor is a '91 Civic HB, and ran for 15 years/150k+miles (hard miles, including some four wheeling fun).  The only major issue I had was a fouled cat converter in March, and a few weeks ago it lost an exhaust valve on cyclinder #2 (hence the move to the Sentra).  Still runs, just will not pass emissions.  I'll 'prolly put it in the garage and replace the head myself and gift it to my neice in a few years.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

...has left the building.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 08:22:24 AM »
Oh cars cars cars...I could go on for hours. If you have a 35K price cap, you have a lot of different options. My top 3 picks would be:

-Mitsubishi Evolution
-Subaru STi
-Acura RSX Type S, known in Japan as the Integra Type S

These picks are based on my personal preferences. What do you mean exactly by economical? By cost? By MPG?

As a banker, I have access to all of the depreciation tables for various makes/models even though I don't work on the retail side. Anyway, don't buy an American car. Although I think most American cars are crappy, that's beside the fact that they depreciate very quickly.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 10:31:20 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
Anyway, don't buy an American car. Although I think most American cars are crappy, that's beside the fact that they depreciate very quickly.
I agree with this opinion. It is worth noting though, that in the past few years, American cars have made great strides in terms of quality, interior materials, and fit & finish.  They're not up to snuff with imports, but they're closing in quickly.

Hondas can be pricey when you start adding options.  Stick with a base model and you'll get a phenomenal car for a decent price.

The Saturn Ion is certainly an interesting design.  It has been the butt of many jokes in the automotive industry, but I've driven one and it seems to be adequate basic transportation.  Nonetheless, it would be at the bottom of my list.

The Chevy Cobalt shares the Ion's underpinnings, but as GM has stated, it benefits from the mistakes that were made on the Ion.  I have also driven a Cobalt, and it is a much different car.  It's a nice design with an even nicer interior.  Car and Driver magazine, which is known for harsh criticism, called it a mini Lexus.  Definitely worth considering.

50 Shooter

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »
As far as Honda prices and reliability, I just lost my '88 Civic. It finally died after putting 400K miles on it. Bought a Ford Focus and I'm not really impressed with it but it's not a bad car. I wanted a new Honda but....

My '96 Civic has over 100K miles on it and it's still going strong. Honda gets a premium price because they make damn good cars, if you're looking for a commuter car they can't be beat.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 11:46:55 AM »
"As for the Saturn, I recall some issue with oil consumption on those engine as well in past years."

The 1.9 Saturn engine doesn't exist anymore. No more oil control issues.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 12:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Declaration Day
Quote from: Daniel Flory
Anyway, don't buy an American car. Although I think most American cars are crappy, that's beside the fact that they depreciate very quickly.
I agree with this opinion. It is worth noting though, that in the past few years, American cars have made great strides in terms of quality, interior materials, and fit & finish.  They're not up to snuff with imports, but they're closing in quickly.

Hondas can be pricey when you start adding options.  Stick with a base model and you'll get a phenomenal car for a decent price.

The Saturn Ion is certainly an interesting design.  It has been the butt of many jokes in the automotive industry, but I've driven one and it seems to be adequate basic transportation.  Nonetheless, it would be at the bottom of my list.

The Chevy Cobalt shares the Ion's underpinnings, but as GM has stated, it benefits from the mistakes that were made on the Ion.  I have also driven a Cobalt, and it is a much different car.  It's a nice design with an even nicer interior.  Car and Driver magazine, which is known for harsh criticism, called it a mini Lexus.  Definitely worth considering.
American cars are definitely getting better. But I think it is a case of too little, too late. A Toyota Corolla will beat the crap out of a Cavalier or Focus sedan in any area imaginable. In fact, I'd rather have a Corolla instead of a full size American car such as a G6 or Impala.  

Regarding Hondas: I traded my BMW M3 in for an '02 Civic coupe if that tells you anything. I know what I want in a car and the Honda was a great comprimise for me to get into riding sportbikes. The Civic is an excellent car for reliable daily transportation. For example, my wife's Mercedes-Benz has its check engine light on AGAIN and my Civic hasn't had even so much as a minor hiccup so far...

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 12:59:35 PM »
Quote from: J.J.
I suggest you DO NOT get a Mitsubishi.

Look on the road and see how many older models you see.

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant.  It was a great car& until it hit 100,000 Miles.  
1. These cars are not made to last.  I replace the same belt every 3 months because the dealership can not figure out why it shreds them.  
2. The a/c compressor has gone out twice.  
3. The clear coat is almost completely gone.  So the car is very ugly and starting to rust.
4. Transmission slips...

The list goes on.  I seem to repairing the same problem over and over again.

I forgot to add -  Parts are EXPENSIVE.  Every time I go to repair my Mitsubishi it costs me a lot. A simple distributor cap and rotor cost me over 30 bucks.
Heh, look for a starter for a '90 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Standard trans.... http://www.carpartswholesale.com/store/index.php?cat=32&year=1990&make=MITSUBISHI&model=ECLIPSE

And at what point does the trans slip? Every gear, or is it just in one particular shift point?

(I.E. does it slip EVERY shift point, or is it just on, say...the 1-2 shift? )
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 02:03:13 PM »
If you're planning to stop at the mazda dealer, check out the Mazda6. I just bought one. Very impressive car for the price, I'm particularly impressed with the interior quality and the suspension and steering. It's a great option if you're looking for a midsize sporty sedan. Mine has the 4cyl and 5sp manual trans, which is plenty peppy at 165hp (iirc) and fun to drive, and gets me 29mpg highway. They also offer a v6 with a manual trans, which is a rare option in this segment. I chose to go with the 4cyl since the 6 was an extra $2000 and -5 mpg, and I have a 'fun' car for when I want to drive fast.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 02:44:07 PM »
Thank you all for the insights. We have decided to go for the Mini Cooper based on the "cool" factor. Going with the non-supercharged model based on fuel economy and reliability issues.  While I would have preferred the S model for the fun factor, this WILL be used as a daily driver and reliability is a definite issue. Time will tell whether or not this was a wise decision.

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 02:48:23 PM »
Quote from: cfabe
If you're planning to stop at the mazda dealer, check out the Mazda6. I just bought one. Very impressive car for the price, I'm particularly impressed with the interior quality and the suspension and steering. It's a great option if you're looking for a midsize sporty sedan. Mine has the 4cyl and 5sp manual trans, which is plenty peppy at 165hp (iirc) and fun to drive, and gets me 29mpg highway. They also offer a v6 with a manual trans, which is a rare option in this segment. I chose to go with the 4cyl since the 6 was an extra $2000 and -5 mpg, and I have a 'fun' car for when I want to drive fast.
Now that is one car I've never even rode in! I've been itching to try a 3 or 6 since they came out. And this year's Mazdaspeed 6 is just solid in the specs department.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »
have you sat in the back of the cooper and envisioned how close your head is to the bumper of a truck?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 02:54:00 AM »
I just traded the mini van for a 03 Honda Accord.  Got the Accord for $12,000 with the trade in.  Fully loaded with 40,000 miles on it.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 04:11:02 AM »
Bwahahaah.... were you aware that the engine in the Cooper is a Chrysler design originally intended to go into South African Neons? :-D

http://allpar.com/mopar/rover.html

I love popping people's "Domestic v. Import" bubbles Smiley