Author Topic: Any of you guys work on a Compaq Presario V6000 laptop lately?  (Read 1197 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Any of you guys work on a Compaq Presario V6000 laptop lately?
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »
Mine has an intermittent "screen go away" problem... It's either an "I'm closed" button (which I can't find...) or a faulty connection...

If I take this sucker apart, how hard is it going to be to put it back together? I routinely work in desktop machines... but the most I've done with the laptop is add RAM...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Any of you guys work on a Compaq Presario V6000 laptop lately?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Bogie, I just finished working on one for a client. There is a warranty extension out on that one from HP-Compaq, but it expired yesterday IIRC.  You might google it, see what comes up.
The extension was because of a known problem with the motherboards causing symptoms very similar to what you describe.
Also, they have had issues with the backlight inverters for the LCD screens.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »
great... Just fired 'em off an email...

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »
They is gonna fixit... We can continue to buy HP/Compaq stuff...

Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
"click here to determine if your notebook is eligible for free repair"

I've had a couple customers luck out, and be eligible for this.  One for bad wireless and flaky power manglement, one for a completely nun-funktionen condition. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »
They is gonna fixit... We can continue to buy HP/Compaq stuff...

That's good news, Bogie.  Glad to hear it worked out.
For my client's laptop, HP sent a pre-paid FedEx next-day shipping container overnight, fixed it in two business days, and shipped it back FedEx overnight.  A very quick turnaround.
However, get any important documents and other data off the hard drive before you send it in.  They will reimage the hard drive to its original state.  Everything on it will go bye-bye.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.