Author Topic: Indiana Republican: Raise the Gas Tax  (Read 9212 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Indiana Republican: Raise the Gas Tax
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
Why should it be moral for me not to pay my fair share, but to impose it on some guy who just happens to earns more than me, just because he's more of a talented singer, or has invested his money more wisely, or got lucky?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 10:53:27 PM »
Why should it be moral for me not to pay my fair share, but to impose it on some guy who just happens to earns more than me, just because he's more of a talented singer, or has invested his money more wisely, or got lucky?

Because you're not allowed to be more talented. You have to be brought down to the same level as everyone else so they don't feel bad.

The leftist manifesto is "Harrison Bergeron".

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:33 AM »
The poor have been increasingly oppressed by sales taxes, property taxes and unfair income taxes for the last 50 years.....that's why things are so screwed up now.
I'm not poor, I make a pretty good salary, but I'm far from wealthy. (Unfortunately, congresscritters are paid more than I am.) But even now, I pay more in taxes than I do for food, clothing, shelter, and transportation combined.

And I hear politicians - primarily Democrats - telling me "That's still not enough!!!"  :mad:

The REAL problem is that government at all levels is sucking up about $6,000,000,000,000 a year - a number that's growing faster than the GDP, which is around $14,000,000,000,000.

That's unsustainable.

Note that the greater part of our national debt comes from LBJ's "Great Society" programs . . . trillions of dollars which may as well have been flushed down the toilet for all the good they're doing. Rolling these back would do a lot to put the country back on the right course.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
No.

In truth, forcing someone who makes $10 an hour to pay the same percentage as someone who makes $100 an hour is blatant class warfare against the poor.

Everybody knows that.

Progressive taxation has been around forever.....it's an American tradition.

Creeping Fascism has pecked away at it for about the last 50 years.

Sooooo.... At a 10% tax rate, asking one guy to pay $1 for the same services that the other guy pays $10 for is unfair... To the guy paying $1.

I just wanted to make sure I understood your "logic."

Also, I bolded and italicized your logical fallacy, there: Appeal to widespread belief.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
Sorry.....everybody except you and your ilk knows that.

Now it's logical and true.

=D

There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.
Barack Obama

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
Gas tax is an unfair regressive tax.....what they need to do is jack up the taxes on people who make over $200,00 per year (and close their damned tax loopholes).

This is so simple a baby could figure it out.
While this is one way (and probably better than what we have now) I'd rather get rid of all these taxes on this, that, and the other thing and have a straight consumption tax.  That way, your tax bill is directly controlable by you.  Don't want to pay taxes?  Make your own stuff!

Back when I made 150k/year, I didn't sweat the taxes; I could afford them.  Now that I make 1/3 of that, yeah, I sweat the taxes quite a bit.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Back when I made 150k/year, I didn't sweat the taxes; I could afford them.  Now that I make 1/3 of that, yeah, I sweat the taxes quite a bit.

There you go.

Exactly my point.

We need fair taxation.

The definition of that is equal pain for all.  For MANY years the poor have felt all the tax pain and the rich have felt no tax pain.
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.
Barack Obama

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »
There you go.

Exactly my point.

We need fair taxation.

The definition of that is equal pain for all.  For MANY years the poor have felt all the tax pain and the rich have felt no tax pain.

Oh, right. Punish the rich. The rich are bad.

Your sort makes me SICK. :P

When was the last time a poor person gave you a job?

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
It's not a matter of punishing the rich.

Those of us who have it real good are reaping the benefits of this great country America.

Since we reap the benefits of that opportunity, we have an obligation to share our wealth......after all, who fought all the wars and died and bled for this country......the rich?

I don't think so.
Barack Obama

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »
Since we reap the benefits of that opportunity, we have an obligation to share our wealth
NO WE DO NOT!

Goddamn communists. They're like roaches. Can spray, but they're still scuttling around in the shadows waiting to come out every time you turn your back.

Just get the hell out of the country till you understand it. Go someplace like Cuba, or North Korea, see how your "idea" has worked so well. You need to travel and see how stupid these ideas are, how they have always failed and always will fail, and result in misery.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »
we have an obligation to share our wealth

Now you're just trying to agitate them aren't you?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
No, that's what I honestly believe.

Not only that, I'm correct.

Who fought those wars?

Who bled and died?

The rich?

No.
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »
No longer polite.

Actually nevermind on the thread lock.

Logos -- you may have perceived the many messages you received from moderators as warnings. They were not. They were mathematical equations with binary solution sets. Sorry to see you chose "0". Fail.  So long jackass.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:12:04 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
No longer polite.

Actually nevermind on the thread lock.

Logos -- you may have perceived the many messages you received from moderators as warnings. They were not. They were mathematical equations with binary solution sets. Sorry to see you chose "0". Fail.  So long jackass.

Dang it! I had a wonderful reply about how society owes the rich, not the other way around.

Then the thread was locked and now it's gone....

Ah well, in summary:

Rich people don't owe society, society owes them.

For every dollar I have, it represents that I supplied a good or service to someone who valued that good or service in excess of that dollar.

The dollar is an IOU from society that says: We took $1 of value from you. Sometime in the future you can use this $1 to get value from someone else in society.

Thus, people who have a LOT of these IOUs are OWED by society. Not the other way around.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
Dang it! I had a wonderful reply about how society owes the rich, not the other way around.

Then the thread was locked and now it's gone....

Ah well, in summary:

Rich people don't owe society, society owes them.

For every dollar I have, it represents that I supplied a good or service to someone who valued that good or service in excess of that dollar.

The dollar is an IOU from society that says: We took $1 of value from you. Sometime in the future you can use this $1 to get value from someone else in society.

Thus, people who have a LOT of these IOUs are OWED by society. Not the other way around.

It just really bothers me that there's so many people who don't understand that, who are voting, and who are destroying the country I love.

It's like a bunch of blank-eyed, dancing idiots cheering as they throw all the copies of everything the founding fathers wrote onto a fire, because they're cold at the moment and that makes them warm. Until it's all gone.

It's depressing.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
Too many people think they have a claim on the fruits of SOMEONE ELSE's labor.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:40 AM »
I absolutely hate it whenever anyone says (or means) "share the wealth" because that's ABSOLUTELY NOT what I am advocating.

When I was making a ton of money, I had no problem shouldering a bit more of a burden to help pay for things that needed paying for, like roads and other infrastructure and things the country needs.

I am absolutely NOT for giving a portion of my check to "those less well off", as "sharing the wealth" seems to say.

The only way I'm for "helping folks" with my tax money is providing things for the common good, like roads, etc.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
It just really bothers me that there's so many people who don't understand that, who are voting, and who are destroying the country I love.

It's like a bunch of blank-eyed, dancing idiots cheering as they throw all the copies of everything the founding fathers wrote onto a fire, because they're cold at the moment and that makes them warm. Until it's all gone.

It's depressing.

It seems few people really sit down and consider the nature of money.  What exactly it is, and what it represents.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
I'd be OK with paying taxes if I thought our gov't was using the tax money responsibly. History and recent proposed spending bills prove that this is not the case. Just like a responsible lender, you don't give money to someone who'll waste it, not pay you back (in services and stewardship), and then come back with guns to demand more from you. Either spend my tax money responsibly or give it back to someone who will......like ME!

Logos: I have threequestions for you:

1. Are you rich?
2. Even if you are not legally required to, do you voluntarily give the majority of your earnings to the Federal Government?
3. If the answer to #2 is "NO", why do you not do so?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
I'm not rich yet, but I plan to be someday.

I'd like to know what gives guys like Logos the right to steal away so much of my money.