Author Topic: I think I just died a little inside  (Read 9141 times)

zahc

• friend
I think I just died a little inside
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »
I've been buying Calvin and Hobbes compilation books on Amazon. They don't run Calvin and Hobbes in the newspapers anymore and it was before my time. I really don't care much about American comics but Calvin and Hobbes is really great. And then:

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: I think I just died a little inside
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
What a bland, lifeless world.   =(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:06 AM »
I call forgery.

The artwork is off, the positioning and style of the text is wrong, and it is very, very out of character for Watterson.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:50 AM »
Well, it's a chop, but that's precisely the effect of drugging up kids.

Creativity can be destroyed by quite a lot of those pills, and all the best artists and scientists were a bit mad. Thinking differently is what led them to create something that had never been tried before!

And if you consider that something to be corrected instead...that's what happens.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:29:58 AM »

Creativity can be destroyed by quite a lot of those pills, and all the best artists and scientists were a bit mad. Thinking differently is what led them to create something that had never been tried before!

Tesla fits that bill quite well.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »
It's fake. The artwork is Watterson's but the layout and text are someone else's doing. I've seen it many places on the Web, and have it saved in my random photos folder, with the title Why Calvin And Hobbes Really Ended.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »
Word has it that the particular strip in question was not created by Bill Waterson, but instead by a fan of Calvin and Hobbes.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:33:52 AM »

And if you consider that something to be corrected instead...that's what happens.

I can attest to that, being force fed Ritalin for many years by my parents and teachers.  [censored] jerks.   :mad:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:39:31 AM »
I can attest to that, being force fed Ritalin for many years by my parents and teachers.  [censored] jerks.   :mad:

QFT...

I removed myself from Ritalin at age 17, after realizing I was suffering withdrawal symptoms when I would miss a pill. Took me years to control my rage, which had been suppressed since age 4. Not a good thing to put a young child on a drug which insulates him from emotions. I'm lucky I didn't land in jail.
As for creativity, Ritalin chewed mine down to a nub.
Hi.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »

This has been around for a number of years.

John Bergstrom, http://attackcartoons.com.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:16:05 AM »

There's another side to it too. Being lauded as a child for how "smart" and "creative" you are, but also constantly in trouble because you can't sit still or stop day-dreaming long enought to study and do your homework, scudding along as a D+/C- student (a little grade inflation, because the teachers saw your potential, and were "smarter" than the other kids and took pity) is no fun either.

I'm not saying pills would have helped, or would have made me a zombie, all I know is that being left to my own devices was miserable as-is. If I could have changed myself, I'd rather have been dilligent, motivated, and outgoing rather than "smart". Those people always succeed.

It's my experience that the smart and creative people, unless they're smart and creative to the bona-fide genius level and it's painfully obvious to society to accomodate itself to you, the garden-variety smart people are generally just unhappy and fail. And the merely average-but-dilligent types pass you by.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »
I guess Ritalin has its place for some cases, but kids are supposed to learn to live with or control their emotions as part of growing up and learn some self discipline.  You shouldn't shut that down.  Better to learn those things when they are 10 rather than when they are 20.  My only comparison is that I was on epilepsy medication for a few years and got off it in the middle of 7th or 8th grade.  I remember those as pretty emotional times. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
What drives me nuts are the irritating competitive types who don't know when to quit trying to sell... The folks who have "management hair," and who have been given a pass for most of their life because they "look good" and "try hard."

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »
What drives me nuts are the irritating competitive types who don't know when to quit trying to sell... The folks who have "management hair," and who have been given a pass for most of their life because they "look good" and "try hard."

They're worse when they also talk at volume 11.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »
its not a waterson, but it makes a valid point that many of us who have been given medication for ADD/ADHD recognise.

i was a bit unique. i wasn't diagnoised until i was 17. while everyone else in my generation got diagniosed ADHD for being a bit squermy in class one day, for some reason they didn't every see it in me.
anyway, during my mothers quest to 'fix' me, we ended up going to yet another shrink, who often worked with kids with ADD. after the first session with me he tells my mom 'errr, i don't what to seem like i am just matching her up with my specialty, but have you ever gotten her tested for ADD?'. he was honestly amazed that it had never occered to anyone before that.
especially after i was tested.  ;/ the results read like 'duh'

anyway, the first thing the docters did was put me on ritilin. which worked. everyone was amazed. i got my work done and i was a lot less snappy and distracted.

i hated every minute i was on that drug. i actually felt boring (which is much worse then being bored, which i had plenty experance with)

funny enough, around the same time, i talked with my naighbor David, who also has ADHD. He had been taken off ritilin when he was about 10 years old, as his doctors were conserned about developmentel stuff, and had, at 15, been put on wellbutrin. he expressed the same sentiment.

its like having your personality turned off.
yes, you can function better and people tend to like you better in most situations, but the effects can be very disturbing for the person on the drugs.

when i was about 22, i asked my docter for a new prescription. you can actually work ritilin so that you don't have to take it every day. my plan was to take it on days i had to work and then not take it on days i could just be myself. i did take it for about two weeks, and then i stopped. for me the benifits just couldn't outweigh the effects.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
Around this company, management hair is called "bald"..............chris3

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Ritalin can have a valid use I suppose. But putting a 4 y/o old a major mood altering drug?!?!

That crap is way over-prescribed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Adult attention deficit disorder is often mis diagnosed as well.  It is a difficult condition to manage and is often treated with drugs.  Getting organized enough to finish a project which once started becomes boring has plagued me for all of my adult life.  It is fun to dream, diagram and invent, but doing the grunt work to finish it is a PIA. 

As a kid I would have been labeled a "juvie" had I not lived in a time when the expression "let boys be boys" ruled.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:51:31 PM »
I was a huge fan of C&H.  that is not a part of the series.  Here is hw it really ended, and it won't kill you in the least...

http://calvinethobbes.free.fr/english/c_der.html

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
Chris,

Not to belabor the obvious, but look further up in the thread.

Waterson's last strip is posted, above a later strip eulogizing Calvin & Hobbes from that sledding adventure. ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
There's another side to it too. Being lauded as a child for how "smart" and "creative" you are, but also constantly in trouble because you can't sit still or stop day-dreaming long enought to study and do your homework, scudding along as a D+/C- student (a little grade inflation, because the teachers saw your potential, and were "smarter" than the other kids and took pity) is no fun either.

I'm not saying pills would have helped, or would have made me a zombie, all I know is that being left to my own devices was miserable as-is. If I could have changed myself, I'd rather have been dilligent, motivated, and outgoing rather than "smart". Those people always succeed.

It's my experience that the smart and creative people, unless they're smart and creative to the bona-fide genius level and it's painfully obvious to society to accomodate itself to you, the garden-variety smart people are generally just unhappy and fail. And the merely average-but-dilligent types pass you by.

yup, that's me "Potential" was my middle name in school.
my parents were more interested in divorce and fighting than encouraging it ( potential )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »
Anybody currently in education? How is the Ritalin/zoloft/prozac fad going? I worked for an after school program in 1994, back before the powers that be thought a $8/hour after school facilitator needed to be a degreed educator.  ;/ Being after school a large majority of the kids were single parent households with a working parent. I think about 70% fit that bill. Ritalin prescription was rampant. The kids had no self control without it. Way over-prescribed. Easier than focusing on the real problems in the kid's life though.

I would have been on it if the stuff was popular in the 80s. Maybe I screwed up my life being too bored to focus on schoolwork that was beneath me but I turned out okay.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
It is way over diagnosed, and drugs for it way over prescribed.  It is this generations false epidemic.

I was watching a program on foxnews the other day and the guest broke the audience down into two parts, basically younger and older.  He then asked them to raise their hands if they had had their tonsils out, ask some younger people if they still have theirs and compare it to some older people.

Then if you coughed one time to many you got sliced and diced, today if you are a little to energetic you get a chemical lobotomy.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.