Author Topic: Allen Brothers Steaks  (Read 5490 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
Allen Brothers Steaks
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
SWMBO and I finally made the splurge and bought some Allen Brothers steaks last week.
She got an offer for 4 8oz close trim Prime fillets and 5# of Wagyu ground beef for $140
The normal price for the fillets are $119 for the four.

She was going in for surgery this week and said she wanted to at least taste an AB steak before the final dirt nap
in case things didn't go well.

We got them Thursday and I ended up preparing them on Saturday.
I would never have thought that a $30 steak was worth it.  But wow what a difference the quality of meat makes.

I skewered them with rosemary, sprinkled montreal steak seasoning (basically seasalt and cracked pepper) on them and then lightly rubbed them with EVOO.   Pat them dry before placing them on the grill.

I like to smoke my steaks with applewood smoke.
I'll get my coals red hot then sprinkle applewood chips dry over the coals.  let them catch fire then cover the grill and smother the flames, as soon as the smoke starts pouring out I'll place my steaks on the side away from the direct heat.
At approx. 1 minute I'll rotate 90deg.  then flip in a minute and repeat for the other side.  Once they are smoked that way I'll place them over the direct heat to sear.   I prefer mine rare to med rare.  so a quick sear is all it needs.
Hers I'll leave on for a bit longer to get it to a nice pink medium.

Has anyone else splurged on the AB steaks?
If so did you think it was worth it.

Honestly we probably had a meal as good or better than a Ruth Chris.  for a fraction of the price.

Edited to add a link and pic
http://www.allenbrothers.com/tenderloin-filet-mignons.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:10:01 AM by veloce851 »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Allen Brothers Steaks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
I had an A.B. filet once at a friend's house.  It was incredibly tasty.  If I had the money I'd definitely buy some for myself.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »
I'll have to start saving up for some for a special occasion. Not a big filet fan myself, I prefer ribeyes above all else.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
I couldn't resist taking some pics while making them.
Before prep

After prep

Being served with Parmesan risotto, saute'd shrooms, asparagus and garlic bread.
Oh and a little dab of goat cheese on top.

Mmmmm I can't wait to enjoy the other two.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:35:42 PM by Don't care »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »
At those prices I think I'll stick with road kill...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
I hear tell they supply the steaks for the Really Good restaurants. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
Better than Omaha Steaks?

(Curious, because my family raises Black Angus beef, and I somewhat know a good steak when I see one...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:36:27 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
I hear tell they supply the steaks for the Really Good restaurants. 
I'd believe it.  The AB steak I had at my friend's house tasted very much like the kind of steak you get at a world class steakhouse.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
Honestly, the best steak I had was from Japan......something they do with how they raise the cattle there.

...................but I'm tempted to try A.B.

Your talking about Kobe beef.  Wagyu beef is the American version of it. (Wagyu bred with Angus)
The beasts are hand massaged and fed beer and the leftover mash from making saki.
It creates a heavily marbled and extremely tender cut of beef.  It's also dry aged for quite some time.

AB's Wagyu fillet, close trim 8oz, run $75 EACH!!  After we have some burgers made with the ground beef
I'll let you know if that sounds worth it.

From what I've read and heard, they only recently (last five years or so) started selling to the public.
Prior to that they were one of the main sources for beef to all the highend steak houses in the US.

Better than Omaha Steaks?
Having ordered from Omaha several times in the past. I can honestly say YES

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »
Your talking about Kobe beef.  Wagyu beef is the American version of it. (Wagyu bred with Angus)
The beasts are hand massaged and fed beer and the leftover mash from making saki.

"What do you do for a living?"
"I massage drunken cows."

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »
The best steaks I have ever eaten came from Holstein steers that were fed a grain/grass/hay diet. Farmer I used to get the beef from would buy 2-3 day old dairy bulls, bottle feed them, weaned them and when they got to feeder calf size he kicked them out to pasture with a daily ration of grain.

I'm also really fortunate to be able to buy good beef where I live now fairly cheap. Fareway Grocery stores sells only choice beef and they sell if for the same price as all the other places that sell select or standard beef. I'm actually going to go there on my way home from work and pick up some porterhouse for $5.99 a pound. They are running a sale right now.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »
I've had Kobe beef from my many visits to Tokyo and surrounding locales.

It is exquisite, but I also find it to be highly over-rated.

The best steak I've had recently came from a bison ranch in Mauston, WI.

Good old American Buffalo Tenderloin, and it put some of the best beef I've ever had to shame.   

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
On a business trip to Japan, me and my boss thought it would be a good idea to try some Kobe steak while there in Kobe city. Our dinners were like 4 or 6oz thin cut beef. So tender you could cut it with the side of your fork. It was pretty good steak and good sauce. It just wasn't $80/plate good.  :O
Afterwards he told me that we will never do that again. I got the hint and never mentioned a word about it at our home office.  :police:

I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »

Good old American Buffalo Tenderloin, and it put some of the best beef I've ever had to shame.   

I definitely agree. Buffalo is delicious. I like the flavor a lot more than beef.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »

Oh yeah.. Bison ribeye on the grill, that some good eatin'!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
On a business trip to Japan, me and my boss thought it would be a good idea to try some Kobe steak while there in Kobe city. Our dinners were like 4 or 6oz thin cut beef. So tender you could cut it with the side of your fork. It was pretty good steak and good sauce. It just wasn't $80/plate good.  :O

At the mall once, the wife and I tried the Godiva chocolate.  2 bucks for a tiny truffle-thingy.  And it tasted like.....................chocolate.   =|

I told her we would never.  Ever.  Ever bother with Godiva again. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »

Gewehr, my ex-sister in law is from Mauston. Been there a few times. Nice little town.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
I've had Kobe beef from my many visits to Tokyo and surrounding locales.

It is exquisite, but I also find it to be highly over-rated.

Well, yeah, but it's hardly fair comparing them. Given that they are, you know, different species. :P

On a slightly different note, are there any really free-range buffalo available for hunting? Taking one with a Sharps has been a long time dream of mine, but I don't want some canned hunt on a ranch.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
On a slightly different note, are there any really free-range buffalo available for hunting? Taking one with a Sharps has been a long time dream of mine, but I don't want some canned hunt on a ranch.

Antelope Island near Salt Lake City has a herd of free-range buffalo. I've run into a couple while out mountain biking there. The state sponsors an annual bison hunt. The big game handbook at the link below has the information. Look on pages 35 & 61.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2009_biggame/2009_biggame.pdf
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:34:45 PM by Racehorse »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »
Well, yeah, but it's hardly fair comparing them. Given that they are, you know, different species. :P

If you read about the buffalo hunters of the 1870's they pretty much made it seem like hunting cattle. I also looked into it because I like to eat Bison, sure is expensive to shoot one, much cheaper just to buy one from a farmer. Some of the Bison "Hunting" trips in Wyoming seemed about as close as one would get to an 1870's hunt. Large ranches with a bison herd.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
Balog,

The species thing is somewhat debatable.

Truth be known, a good business is made in Wyoming and South Dakota selling Beefalo, which is a buffalo/beef hybrid.

They're not so far apart that they cannot interbreed, in other words.

The critters are so genetically alike that beefalo hybrids are fertile. 

And they're delicious. There's a beefalo burger stand between Lead and Deadwood that is just plain out of this world. =D

There are a few ranches out there that will entertain culling your particular choice of bison, for the right amount of money.

I've talked to one or two, all you're doing is eliminating the middleman in the thumping department, and they said I could bring my Sharps and some 535gr BP dispatching tools, no problem.  In fact, they somewhat enjoy watching the technique. 

My biggest problem with it is that I want it to be out there, running around, vs. being penned up at 25 yards ala' Troy Gentry or Jimmy Houston.  I can't do canned hunts, either.   =|

If the Ho-Chunk Nation ever gets the 16 square miles formerly occupied by the Badger Army Ammunition Plant near Baraboo, WI (my hometown), they intend to make it into a bison reserve, and will offer hunts.  That's a big "if", though. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:35:31 PM by Gewehr98 »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 02:36:55 PM »
Stop posting pictures of meat. You are making me very hungry. MEEEAAAATTTTTT!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
Years ago, my then boss bought a few steers at the state fair, prime beef, grained for months along w/ grass, etc. Killed and hung for about 4 weeks in cooler. Butchered to our specs meaning I got the briskets instead of including in the Ground meat. Corned them myself. never eaten better corned beef, and the steaks? Well, you do have to know how to properly grill a steak...................
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
When I was a kid, we grew black angus.

The farm hands were nervous because us kids had named our steer, and followed it around, and fed it apples and sugarcubes and extra grain and molasses and stuff like that.

The day came, and they didn't have to worry.

We'd named the critter T-Bone.

Blog under construction