Author Topic: 1T hard drive on sale $90: a good deal?  (Read 11022 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: 1T hard drive on sale $90: a good deal?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
So, when are they going to have a laptop PATA version?  Maybe then I can convince the Debian installer developers that defaulting to a 5G /usr partition on a >100G drive is kinda silly.

Besides, in a slim form factor, you could make them in pre-stacked pairs for a standard bay in a desktop, with a built-in RAID controller to mirror them.

(I still don't know why Debian in particular works fine if I let it decide the partitions, but always fails to work right if I partition manually.  I've done it manually for plenty of other distros, but Debian always seems to have a major problem with at least one of the partitions.)

5G seems pretty big.  /usr expands with the amount of packages you install, not the amount of files you save.  I don't see where it makes sense to size it to a certain percentage of disk space.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
I'm too lazy to make any partitions. I use the brute force approach of using separate drives for everything on my main rig.
74GB Raptor for XP Pro x64
74GB Raptor for Vista Ultimate x64
750GB Seagate for Games
750GB Seagate for 'immediate' Storage (video projects and downloads)

2TB Western Digital Studio II for my CD collection backup, and everything else under the sun.

I'm using my notebook as my primary web machine at the moment though.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
5G seems pretty big.  /usr expands with the amount of packages you install, not the amount of files you save.  I don't see where it makes sense to size it to a certain percentage of disk space.

/dev/hda5              4806904   3747512    815208  83% /usr

I just installed on this machine last week.  Granted, I've got most of the stuff from the current distro that I plan to use, but there are a few other things I'll probably be doing from source later.

10G would probably never fill up for 99% of users, but remember that a lot of different things go into /usr/*.  [/usr/src|/usr/local/src] alone can get huge.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
Hard to imagine that my first PC that I owned only had a 540 MB hard drive and 32 Meg of RAM.

48K of ram and a floppy drive.

My first hard drive was a 40MB Seagate ST157A.  That drive cost me more than the last PC I bought.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
48K of ram and a floppy drive.

My first hard drive was a 40MB Seagate ST157A.  That drive cost me more than the last PC I bought.

I still miss the noises those drives made.  They sounded really IMPORTANT!

Hard drives nowadays just click.  Nowhere near as cool.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
Hard drives nowadays just click.  Nowhere near as cool.

Sometimes they clunk.  Sometimes they go tick-tick-tick.  Sometimes they go "twanggggg!".  Sometimes they go into a wind-up, wind-down, wind-up, wind-down cycle.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
:lol:

Mine had 512k of ram and a cassette tape drive.

And you were in constant peril of mistaking a tape of your BASIC programs for a music tape and sticking it in your Walkman.

SCREEEEEEEEEYYYAAOOOOOXXXZZZZZZZZBBUUUSSSSSSBBBEEEEEEEEEEEESCRAAWWWWWWWWWW...!

I remember those days. The very first PC I ever played with was a Heathkit homebuilt jobber that had 65K RAM, a monochrome screen, and cassette tape drives. I learned BASIC pretty quick, as I would change the parameters of a couple of games as to make it too hard to win, too hard to lose, or whatever tripped my trigger that day. I can safely say that I'm almost a "plank owner" of the Home Computer generation.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
/dev/hda5              4806904   3747512    815208  83% /usr

I just installed on this machine last week.  Granted, I've got most of the stuff from the current distro that I plan to use, but there are a few other things I'll probably be doing from source later.

10G would probably never fill up for 99% of users, but remember that a lot of different things go into /usr/*.  [/usr/src|/usr/local/src] alone can get huge.

use -h, human!  =D

Okay, so you are a little over 3.5GB already.  My own install is right at 3GB.  Baseline includes a lot of stuff like your desktop env, etc.  Those last 1.5 - 2GB fill up more slowly.

PROTIP: If you are installing a lot of stuff from source, make a /usr/local it's own partition and always ./configure --prefix=/usr/local  If you bork something you can restore system to stock by unmounting /usr/local/

Sometimes they clunk.  Sometimes they go tick-tick-tick.  Sometimes they go "twanggggg!".  Sometimes they go into a wind-up, wind-down, wind-up, wind-down cycle.

We are no longer the hard drives who say "click".  We are now know ans the hard drives who say "Ickyicky icky ptang ptang whoooep bwooooow"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
REAL HUMANS use ZFS and can add storage on the fly.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
Timex Sinclair ZX-81.  1k of memory with outboard 16k expansion module.  Membrane keyboard.  Headphone jacks for to connect your own tape recorder, whereupon to save your programs.

My parents bought me that to see if my interest in computers was passing, or long-term.  Once they surgically removed me from the thing, they bought me an IBM PC.  4.77MHz 8088.  256K. Two double-sided floppy drives (360k each).  If Jean-Luc Picard had existed back then, I'd have felt like him.

My first hard disk was a Seagate ST-225.  20 megs of MFM, stepper-motor goodness.  There was no way I'd ever fill it up.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »
My first hard disk was a Seagate ST-225.  20 megs of MFM, stepper-motor goodness.  There was no way I'd ever fill it up.

...with just one Powerpoint briefing.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
1980's Daffinition

10 meg harddrive:
The quickest way to loose 10 megs of data with one failure.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »
Seagate 1.5T external at NewEgg for $199 while supplies last.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »
Okay, so you are a little over 3.5GB already.  My own install is right at 3GB.  Baseline includes a lot of stuff like your desktop env, etc.  Those last 1.5 - 2GB fill up more slowly.

Actually, after I posted, I noticed that I didn't have anything in */src yet.  That's a laptop, I'll probably be working up a new kernel for it and its predecessor soon, (since most of the hardware isn't changeable, no point in having support for things that will never be there, and things that are always there might as well be compiled in rather than modules) and that can end up taking a lot more space.  I'm also starting to lean towards my old tactics of debugging (read as "find the otherwise irrelevant routine that's causing an error and comment it out, then recompile") certain things, which will result in a lot more source hanging around.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 07:11:48 PM »
Speaking of deals, I just hopped on their Dell Store page and they have some screaming deals on refurbs at the moment.  Refurb'd 20" Ultrasharps for $179.  Looks like they have about 50 in stock.  Non-Ultrasharp 17's for as little as $100.

Looks to be some pretty good deals on CPUs, too.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »
Browsing that Dell outlet..... on some of those gaming rigs, they want $2k for a refurbished!! How much did they cost new......

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
Factory overclocked, liquid cooled Dell XPS gaming units bring a pretty penny when new.

This one went for $7,129.00 when new:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2156657,00.asp
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
Sweet merciful crap that's a spendy computer.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »
REAL HUMANS use ZFS and can add storage on the fly.

REAL humans use LVM and then can add storage on the fly while using any old file system they want.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
Factory overclocked, liquid cooled Dell XPS gaming units bring a pretty penny when new.

This one went for $7,129.00 when new:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2156657,00.asp

And they depreciate faster than a Ford Taurus.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
Oh, for sure. I've been known to hop onto various custom PC sites, as well as the Mac Pro configurator, and spec a £15,000 rig. It won't really be any more powerful than a £2-3000 rig, and you can definitely watch the value of it drop every week!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »
REAL humans use LVM and then can add storage on the fly while using any old file system they want.

Ouch.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton