Author Topic: Justified or not? Killing coworkers who think that...  (Read 8831 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Justified or not? Killing coworkers who think that...
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
their presence in the office is so ultra critical that they come in even when absolutely crawling with disease.

Over the past several days four coworkers have insisted on coming into the office sounding and looking as if they are at death's door.

Of course, I now seem to have the chest and head cold that one of them was exhibiting.

In November the guy in the cube next to me managed to infect three of us in the immediate proximity with the nasty cold that he had.

Stupid, selfish, over important bastards.  :mad:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Justified or not? Killing coworkers who think that...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:36:30 AM »

their presence in the office is so ultra critical that they come in even when absolutely crawling with disease.

Over the past several days four coworkers have insisted on coming into the office sounding and looking as if they are at death's door.

Of course, I now seem to have the chest and head cold that one of them was exhibiting.

In November the guy in the cube next to me managed to infect three of us in the immediate proximity with the nasty cold that he had.

Stupid, selfish, over important bastards.  :mad:

Well put. I concur. I think that a severe beating and banishment for the rest of the day would suffice, though, rather than offing them and putting them out of their misery.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
Then there are the asswipes (usually the ones who think it's a virtue to work like a slave) that think they have to comment because you did take a sick day so you wouldn't spread a nasty cold about.

Losing proposition either way.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:41:01 AM »
Then there are the asswipes (usually the ones who think it's a virtue to work like a slave) that think they have to comment because you did take a sick day so you wouldn't spread a nasty cold about.

Losing proposition either way.

Chris

Those are the ones I get REALLY close to... touch their stuff, cough heartily in their cube/office, sneeze a few times...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:46:10 AM »
A few years ago, my boss was sick and just walked by my office and grunted good morning.  My assistant and I both got sick and missed nearly a weeks work.  He had to find people to cover us, so he got his out of this.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »
Justified only if you use a rusty machete.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
Oh sweet baby zombie Jesus I just sprung a rib coughing!

Holy hell does that hurt!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »
And, oh, yes, I had a coworker think that she didn't need to take sick days.

Yes, she was one that thought being a slave to the job was great. She was dumb as a bag of hammers, too. (Although that's insulting the bag of hammers).

Oh, the stories I could tell...

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 03:35:29 AM »
If I get more than five points in a six month period I get fired. Calling in is a full point, as is leaving before half your shift is finished, being more than nine minutes late is a third of a point, as is leaving more than nine minutes early.

Some people can't afford to miss work as well. I'm just happy that I have an immune system made of raging Klingons, so it takes quite a bit to get me sick, that and I consume a lot of orange juice.
Look, tiny text!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
my boss is well known for coming back from dog shows with something. she has the crappist immune system known to man. last year she gave everyone at work a present for westminster. i think thats the worse i've ever had a cold. everyone was coughing for a few months on that one.

luckly, it takes a pretty nasty bug for me to catch it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »
I absolutely disdain "presentee-ism". I don't get ill very often, but when I do, it kicks my ass. People need to stay home when they are ill.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:03:46 AM »
My situation is similar to RaspberrySurprise. We don't have sick time at work, and I refuse to use vacation just because I feel miserable. Fortunately I don't get sick very often. When I do my solution is to avoid coworkers and spend as much time as possible with management.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »
Well, didn't sleep well last night, and I've been up for hours, but I'm feeling a LOT better today.

The ribs that I sprang last night don't even hurt.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »
My office is unique in that. The policy is that you are supposed to go home, because the office is attached to manufacturing, and it's supposed to be kept at hospital cleanliness.

If someone comes in hacking and coughing, the CEO will tell them they are going home.  :lol:

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
My office is unique in that. The policy is that you are supposed to go home, because the office is attached to manufacturing, and it's supposed to be kept at hospital cleanliness.

If someone comes in hacking and coughing, the CEO will tell them they are going home.  :lol:

Damn. Would that more places were like that.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
This is why we are screwed if we have a severe infectious disease outbreak- our personal hygiene sucks, and our sense of social responsibility is nil.   

Teknoid

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »
I'm one of the people who never calls in sick. The last time I did, it was for pneumonia and I couldn't walk.

This isn't because of a false sense of feeling indispensable, it's a fact. Back in my days working in a "Dilbert cube", this wasn't the case. Since being a victim of a workforce reduction and having to resort to my plan B, it is. I'm responsible for keeping my customer's equipment fully functional, even when I'm not. The next closest guy is over 100 miles away, and has his own problems.

Competition dictates that I either keep the customer happy, or they switch companies. If that happens often enough, I become unemployed. Been there, done that, ain't interested in repeating the experience. I am conscientious enough to warn folks in the immediate area to keep their distance, though. It seems to be appreciated, and they are not only happy to see me, but ecstatic about the situation. A down machine means lost revenue. In these times, that's bad news for both of us.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
This is my biggest workplace pet peeve. Same boat as Thor -- rarely get sick, but when I do I'm down for the count and would not think of subjecting others to my illness just so I can show up, let the boss see me, and be totally unproductive.

What kills me at my workplace is that we have a really liberal telecommute policy. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to show up sick -- if they don't want to take leave, they can work from home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
I'm coming to work.  That's how I earn my living.  It's not like I've got leprosy or typhoid or something; it's just a flipping cold.  If I can get sick and drag my old decrepit butt to work, so can you.

Also, I didn't spontaneously generate a cold - somebody else got me sick in the first place.  Most likely one of you breeders, with the kids bringing home all kinds of illnesses from school.

Cowboy up and get to work.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
I'm coming to work.  That's how I earn my living.  It's not like I've got leprosy or typhoid or something; it's just a flipping cold.  If I can get sick and drag my old decrepit butt to work, so can you.

Cowboy up and get to work.

Well said.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »
I think I might get a talking-to if a posted a thread like this one, since it jokes about killing folks and stuff.   :O

Or maybe I'm just biased, because I tend to "crawl in sick to work" myself.  It has nothing to do with being self-important, though.  It's actually because I tend to assume the boss will get annoyed with me for taking a sick day.  This is absurd, of course, but it's not self-importance. 

Since I don't work in an office, though, people don't really notice when I'm sick.  And my co-worker is also guilty, so I guess I'm not bothering anyone. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 12:43:09 PM »
Coming to work sick is stupid.  Were I an employer, it'd be either take a day off or get fired.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »
If I can get sick and drag my old decrepit butt to work, so can you.

I can too. In fact when I was a young buck in the oil patch me and everyone else showed up sick all the time because we didn't have sick leave, and if you didn't show up, someone else got your job. We all hated it.

Now I have a job that gives me both sick leave and options to work from home, and barring emergency response situations, they can get along without me for a day or two. So why should I 1) be miserable, and 2) pass my cold or whatever on to others when I can stay away until I'm no longer contagious?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »
Coming to work sick is stupid.  Were I an employer, it'd be either take a day off or get fired.

that doesn't always work out. for us, the dogs don't care that we are deathly ill. they still need us to get our butts in and get them taken care of.
my bosses are cool if we are truly deathly ill and will give us the time. but if you can hack through the pain, you better come on in.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
As a manager for years, I've seen two kinds of employees:  Those that try to get out of work, and those that try to get into work. 

The first kind always have good excuses - the dog ate my car keys, the roads were too bad, my kid's in trouble at school, I was sick and didn't want to contaminate everyone else.

The second kind just show up and do their jobs.

I know which kind I promote.