Author Topic: Million Gun Owner March  (Read 7745 times)

GeoJAP

Million Gun Owner March
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »
A "million gun owner march" is gearing up.

http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Million Gun Owner March
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
Dood... Road trip!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
I know the guy who is getting this going! 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TMM

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
if/when this happens, i'd be down for it. i'll be in college at the time, but it would undoubtably be worth it.

tmm

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
been there, done that,
40 people showed up

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32615
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TMM

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
"been there, done that"...

so then what? wait and watch your rights get voted away? perhaps the first one didn't work out well at all... hell, maybe the second one won't either.  what happens when hundreds... or thousands of people say "it won't work"? they don't go, and the attempt is a failure. if you believe in your right to... have rights, people have to take a stand, you know?

tmm

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »
"been there, done that"...

so then what? wait and watch your rights get voted away? perhaps the first one didn't work out well at all... hell, maybe the second one won't either.  what happens when hundreds... or thousands of people say "it won't work"? they don't go, and the attempt is a failure. if you believe in your right to... have rights, people have to take a stand, you know?

tmm

Conservatives have jobs to go to. Liberals don't.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Conservatives have jobs to go to. Liberals don't.

Excuses, excuses.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »
Excuses, excuses.

Right, I should lose my job and be unable to take care of my family so I can go stand and yell. That'll show em!  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
Conservatives have jobs to go to...

Not if Obama gets HIS way...

Sorry for the hijack but I just couldn't resist.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

TMM

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »
Right, I should lose my job and be unable to take care of my family so I can go stand and yell. That'll show em!  :rolleyes:

we all understand that jobs are important. to say the least. is taking a few days off more important than losing rights? i'd be willing to lose several days of my schooling, that I'M PAYING FOR, for some time to stand around with a sign.(not trying to make myself look better than you... i'm just making a point...)

just as a side note, i'm not only defending this million gun march idea, i'm defending and more importantly, questioning the drive some of us have to defend our rights! "i have a job, i can't stand and yell"... maybe if you don't stand and yell, you won't even be able to.

tmm

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
I'll be there... I'm sure any of us can get off for 2 or 3 days if we are giving a 1 year advance notice.  If not, you need to find a new job.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
At the first IGOLD (Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day)  http://igold.isra.org/ there we're only about 300 gun owners that showed.  The next year we had about 600.  The year after that about 1200.  Last year we had about 2,500 people show up.  We expect about 5,000 this year.

The point:  Ya gotta start somewhere, then work to make it grow.

I might pull the kids out of school that week and do the whole Family trip to DC thing and attend the march.   Good way to teach about that whole "redress of grievances" thing. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »

I'm sure Isaac Davis had some blacksmithing work he could have done back in 1775 instead of taking a walk to Concord.  Probably made more money doing it... certainly would have lived longer (he was shot through the heart by Concord's North Bridge).

He took a walk over taxes, gun confiscation and lack of a voice in his government.

You wouldn't do less than a hundredth of what he did?  He knew he was going to a scrap.  I'm pretty certain that Obama doesn't have the Big Brass Ones to send out Patton and Eisenhower's ghosts at this reincarnation of the Bonus Army.  This will be long lines, scarce port-o-johns, some good speeches, some bad speeches, and annoying commutes back home after the thing is done.

You seriously can't give that much?

"A Republic if you can keep it," indeed. :rolleyes:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
I'm sure Isaac Davis had some blacksmithing work he could have done back in 1775 instead of taking a walk to Concord.  Probably made more money doing it... certainly would have lived longer (he was shot through the heart by Concord's North Bridge).

He took a walk over taxes, gun confiscation and lack of a voice in his government.

You wouldn't do less than a hundredth of what he did?  He knew he was going to a scrap.  I'm pretty certain that Obama doesn't have the Big Brass Ones to send out Patton and Eisenhower's ghosts at this reincarnation of the Bonus Army.  This will be long lines, scarce port-o-johns, some good speeches, some bad speeches, and annoying commutes back home after the thing is done.

You seriously can't give that much?

"A Republic if you can keep it," indeed. :rolleyes:

Yep, my refusal to goto the cesspool on the Potomac to walk around with a sign means I'm lazy and don't care about freedom.  ;/ The massive arrogance and sense or moral superiority being displayed in this thread is staggering.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
Yep, my refusal to goto the cesspool on the Potomac to walk around with a sign means I'm lazy and don't care about freedom.  ;/ The massive arrogance and sense or moral superiority being displayed in this thread is staggering.

speaking for myself, i did not try to portray myself as superior... but it's the fact that some of us seemed to doubt the success of the march, and thus be completely uninterested in it. if we all believed in the success of it, it would be a success.

somebody needs to see us, know we're regular people, you know? preaching to the choir on APS and THR is satisfying but useless.

tmm

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
speaking for myself, i did not try to portray myself as superior... but it's the fact that some of us seemed to doubt the success of the march, and thus be completely uninterested in it. if we all believed in the success of it, it would be a success.
somebody needs to see us, know we're regular people, you know? preaching to the choir on APS and THR is satisfying but useless.

tmm

My comments were more aimed at AZRed. As for the bolded part..... hey, if we all voted for Ron Paul, he could have gotten elected!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
My comments were more aimed at AZRed. As for the bolded part..... hey, if we all voted for Ron Paul, he could have gotten elected!

I'm sorry, I understand now, those of us who actually want liberty in our lifetime should just accept the fact we are going to be living in a welfare-state until we die.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »
Balog, we're facing one of the most rabidly anti-gun, filibuster-proof, power-drunk and irresponsible congressional sessions and presidential administrations this country may ever face.

You go ahead and give your $35 to the NRA instead.  I'm sure when they negotiate so that 1911's can keep 8rds in them when the Dems wanted 7, along with keeping single-shot rifles that vaguely look like AR-15's will be cheered as a huge victory for the games-playing gun crowd, when all the rest of them have been banned and steamrolled.

No one says you HAVE to go.  I think that urinating on the motivation of those of us that care to do something about the problem rather than pay some slick shiesters in DC to smoke cigars and chuckle at the general public's naivite, is a poor decision.

But you're welcome to it.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
/sigh

I say "that activity is not an effective way to accomplish our goals" and you accuse me of saying "we should do nothing, just resign yourself to a lifetime of servitude." Stop putting words in my mouth, and stop projecting your biased ideas about people with the temerity to disagree with you onto me. It is neither accurate nor polite. "That is ineffective" != "Just give up."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 08:26:35 PM »
You keep repeating it is ineffective. Yet this technique was used to good effect by protesters around the world, and it worked for them.

You also imply that the people who protest their various causes have no jobs.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »
How much did the people protesting Bush do to sway him? You think Obama is more inclined to listen?

And if you do nothinbg but travel around protesting then, yeah, you most likely don't have a job.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
How much did the people protesting Bush do to sway him? You think Obama is more inclined to listen?

Their protests were, however, amplified by the media coverage they got, contributing to the eventual weakening and removal of the GOP. Note Contributing, not exclusively causing.

And if you do nothinbg but travel around protesting then, yeah, you most likely don't have a job.

Did I suggest that's what should be done? But drawing the notion that you should never protest from this is ridiculous.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »
Mass protests are most effective in places with no other means of forcing a redressing of grievances. That is not the case here.

I never said anyone going to this protest was a loser. But I do not think this particular protest will accomplish much if anything, and taking the time off work and spending the fairly substantial amount of money for a plane ticket, hotel etc would be a waste. "Pick your battles" and good stewardship of limited resources are important, and I think this march fails on both counts.

Further, I vehemently object to being insulted and accused because of that view.