Author Topic: Federal obligations exceed world GDP  (Read 1586 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Federal obligations exceed world GDP
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=88851

I realize the source is somewhat suspect, but man, 65 trillion.

digitalandanalog

• friend
Re: Federal obligations exceed world GDP
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »
So the U.S is spending more money than the whole world has...sounds like standard policy to me.

Who is going to have the ability to collect after we file for bankruptcy? They'll be even broker than us. :laugh:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
Yes, when I read that President Obama had said only the Federal government has the resources to pull us through this crisis, I couldn't help wondering just what "resources" he thinks the Fed.gov actually has. It's obvious that the Fed.gov is bankrupt by any definition short of actually filing Chapter 11. Liabilities far exceed assets, and that's the usual definition.

Smoke and mirrors time in Warshington, DC. Who'd a thunk it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
Those "obligations" are future expectations, forecasts, predictions.  They aren't actual, quantified obligations.  Most of that number comes from the expected payouts for welfare programs like social security and medicare.

A lot can change in the next few decades, including what laws are on the books.  We still have time to change the laws and "un-obligate" ourselves of a lot of these welfare programs before we actually have to cut the checks.  Or we may end up obligating ourselves for even more nonsense.  Who knows?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
The real number is about 10.7 trillion if it makes you feel better.

http://zfacts.com/p/461.html
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »
...I couldn't help wondering just what "resources" he thinks the Fed.gov actually has.

Printing presses: very large, fast printing presses in the keeping of the Treasury department.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »
Printing presses: very large, fast printing presses in the keeping of the Treasury department.

Ohh...rampant inflation. I am all aflutter.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »
Actually, when he's referring to "resources," I think he means our stuff. Y'know, our homes, cars, savings, etc. Pelosi already wants to grab retirement savings, so why not go after the whole thing?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:51:52 PM »
Those "obligations" are future expectations, forecasts, predictions.  They aren't actual, quantified obligations.  Most of that number comes from the expected payouts for welfare programs like social security and medicare.

A lot can change in the next few decades, including what laws are on the books.  We still have time to change the laws and "un-obligate" ourselves of a lot of these welfare programs before we actually have to cut the checks.  Or we may end up obligating ourselves for even more nonsense.  Who knows?

Given that people have (generally) had tens if not hundreds of thousands of their dollars taken over their career for "social security" wouldn't the fed.gov just saying "oops, sorry can't pay you that back" be criminal? Not to mention political suicide.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »
No (the criminal part at least). That's already been to the Supreme Court. They ruled that there is no contract between govt. and taxpayer, that taking the taxes does not obligate govt. to pay out, and govt. can change the rules at any time.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
No (the criminal part at least). That's already been to the Supreme Court. They ruled that there is no contract between govt. and taxpayer, that taking the taxes does not obligate govt. to pay out, and govt. can change the rules at any time.

I don't care what The Robes say. I paid in, and I expect to get back what I paid in, even if it's at gunpoint.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
If the Supreme Court has ruled the fed.gov can renege on it's obligations at any time for any reason I'd like to see the case law.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.