Author Topic: So much for that silly first amendment...Man gets Secret Service check for sign  (Read 10220 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
could you tell me what right was violated by his public statement/sign being brought to the usss attention and them visiting him? 

It's already been said.  Multiple times.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
i understand the cop screwed up  they brought the sign back and asked if he wanted to file a complaint. after that?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
I'm wondering if the same outrage was evident when similar actions were taken while Bush was President.  I don't remember that being the case...

Chris

• friends
http://www.videosift.com/video/The-guy-that-said-Go-*expletive deleted*ck-yourself-Mr-Cheney

heres what really happened in new orleans. from the heroes own video. as opposed to newsmax or wnd
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Brad Johnson

• friend
i understand the cop screwed up  they brought the sign back and asked if he wanted to file a complaint. after that? and, even though the PD apologized, their actions resulted in the individual being investigated, up to and including a visit to his home, by an agency of the federal government.

There, fixed it for you.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
oh i see you are trying to use some law and order version of "fruit of the tainted tree" . my understanding is that would be a fine point if
a) some type of legal action was instigated against him (there wasn't)
b) even in the event that there was legal action that would only apply if that was the only way the cops/usss coulda gotten that info to act on.

his posting a sign in his car window and driving around kills that. if someone other than maned wants to imply they flashed the mp5's that ALL agents carry in their shoulder rig. maybe that might qualify as intimidation bu i'll bett this guy doesn't claim that.  heck evem wnd and newsmax don't claim that.... yet

so what we have is a cop making a silly/stupid mistake.  it getting recognized as that and the best available corrective action by the pd gets taken. the usss thing is an entirely seperate occurence .

Brad Johnson

• friend
so what we have is a cop making a silly/stupid mistake.  it getting recognized as that and the best available corrective action by the pd gets taken. the usss thing is an entirely seperate occurence .

No, it occured as a direct result of "a cop making a silly/stupid mistake".  What if said silly/stupid mistake had resulted in an all-out investigation, or maybe a no-knock raid?  Given today's political climate it isn't beyond the scope of reason for that to happen.

As for "best available action by the PD", ah, no.  It's woefully short of anything I'd consider "best".  All they've done so far is issue a generic boilerplate apology. If they truly want to correct the problem they will issue an official notice to the USSS that the report was unwarranted, and insist that the notice be amended to the guy's record that now resides in the USSS's "had to take a look at this dude" files.

But they haven't.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:57:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

• friends
the usss looks at a lotta folks. pretty much anyone whose name surfaces. its not a big deal. it won't even stop you from going to events at the whitehouse or similar stuff. unless they find something strange. if this guys feelings on abortion are that strong hes gotten much more attention from that than this deal.

If they truly want to correct the problem they will issue an official notice to the USSS that the report was unwarranted,

no  the usss asks to be told about folks like him specifically so they can take a look.  taking sign bad/unwarranted.   usss saying hi  whats going on?  not so much

Antibubba

• friend
i understand the cop screwed up  they brought the sign back and asked if he wanted to file a complaint. after that?

Admitting they screwed up would have resulted in the sign being returned, and a complete end to the situation.  By bringing in the Secret Service they're saying, "Well, we shouldn't have done that so we called the Feds to cover our sorry behinds".  That the SS asked to look around doesn't make the situation better than if they'd come in with a team.  Which might have been the outcome if he'd refused to "consent" to a search.

Look up "Iron fist in a velvet glove".
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Brad Johnson

• friend
no  the usss asks to be told about folks like him specifically so they can take a look.

So anyone stopped for a reason later officially recognized as mistaken should be reported to the USSS for investigation?

Brad
-HankB

• friends
so you think the usss got a referral from the local pd?  really?  why?
here i was thinking they get a summary of all police events that involve protectees in anyway and made their own calls as to what they look at. imagine that the local pd can use the usss as a club.  and the usss has the time resources and inclination to go along with it.  i'd never have thought of that myself. i'm more of the kinda guy that figures they use a computer program to search as many/all reports they can .and then work from there.

Manedwolf

• friend
so you think the usss got a referral from the local pd?  really?  why?

Did you read the article? It doesn't look like it.

The officers confiscated Harrison's sign and gave him a slip of paper that stated he was part of an investigation.

Harrison said he later received a call from a person who said he was a lieutenant supervisor for the Internal Investigations Department and wanted to know his location and return his sign to him.

According to Harrison, the supervisor said the Secret Service had been contacted on the matter and had told them the sign was not a threat to the president.

Brad Johnson

• friend
So the problem still stands as presented ... had the PD not stopped the guy for an erroneous reason he would not have been entered into the system.  Had he not been entered into the system, he would not now be an inductee to the USSS's list-of-people-to-to-talk-to.

Summary - the PD's mistake precipitated the entire affair, an affair which has direct constitutional implications.  As such, "We're sorry" doesn't cut it.

Brad
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Obviously, csdaddy is a good citizen, and has nothing to hide.  The rest of you require further surveillance.   :police:   :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
Brad's POV is mine. But
If they truly want to correct the problem they will issue an official notice to the USSS that the report was unwarranted, and insist that the notice be amended to the guy's record that now resides in the USSS's "had to take a look at this dude" files.
<That> will never happen. The guy has suffered damage. He should sue for sure.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

• friends
who should he sue?  and what would be appropriate to look for in the suit?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Obviously, csdaddy is a good citizen, and has nothing to hide, is marvelously and intentionally obtuse, and a puddin' stick.  The rest of you require further surveillance.   :police:   :police:

Fixed that for you. ;D
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Puddin' stick?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
who should he sue?  and what would be appropriate to look for in the suit?

This one has "ACLU" written all over it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Puddin' stick?  ???

Yes I would also like to know what this has to do with Bill Cosby.
Look, tiny text!

MechAg94

• friend
So how many agents does the SS have? 

If they told the PD that the sign was not a threat, are they required to go visit the guy?  If it wasn't a threat, it wasn't a threat.  Were they bored?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
not sure i know they routinely check out lots of silly stuff. they spent hours on this kid with the court case coming up. and more hours interviewing friends and families.   in my case of the raging stupids they came out talked to me for 45 mins figured i was a loud drunk and i never heard from em again. i think they are very reluctant to ignore things. they might not want that funny look on their face, like the fbi when they ignored the warnings from one of their agents about the arabs in flight school

mtnbkr

• friend
i think they are very reluctant to ignore things.

QFT.  It is my understanding once they hear of a "threat", they are going to check into it.  The level of "checking into it" depends on the nature of the threat (loud drunk or guy with intent and means).

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
This happened in OKC, OK of all places.  Imagine if it happened in Chicago or NYC.?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
their level of physical response can be intense.when i worked at the mayflower and got to see em in action a few times.they look like cub scouts brownies when compared to the israeli secret service. they handled security for the peace delegation and are a force of nature.