Author Topic: Cystic fibrosis gene cure closer  (Read 1981 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Cystic fibrosis gene cure closer
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
 Cystic fibrosis gene cure closer

US researchers say they are a step closer to developing a gene therapy cure for cystic fibrosis (CF).

In lab tests their altered virus effectively delivered a new gene to replace the faulty one that causes CF and completely rid the lung of disease.

Previous attempts have been hampered by the immune system mopping up the virus before it delivered its cargo.

The University of California work is published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Although the gene therapy is still in its infancy, it has already been used with some success in diseases such as haemophilia.

UK researchers plan to begin the first large scale trial of gene therapy in CF patients this year.

Proof of concept

Around 8,000 people in the UK have CF and one in 25 are carriers for the condition. CF produces thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and the pancreas, leading to life-threatening chest infections and problems with digestion.

Existing treatments only ease symptoms and life expectancy is low - most with CF die before they reach 40.

In the future it is hoped that gene therapy will provide a cure by replacing the defective CF gene which disables or destroys a protein known as CFTR.

In order to get the new, healthy gene into the cells, scientists use a harmless virus.

The University of California team, working with experts from the University of Iowa, found a way to make this virus more effective at entering lung cells.

They mutated the adeno-associated virus to develop two major possessions - the ability to bind to different receptors or bind to a more plentiful receptor on the surface of lung cells and to make it past the cell surface membrane and into the cell.

Lead researcher Professor David Schaffer said: "In human lung tissue, it completely rescued the chloride ion transport properties of the cells after delivering the correct copy of the CFTR gene to replace the mutated copy of the gene that is present in CF patients."

They now plan to test the treatment further and to adapt the virus to gene therapy for other diseases, including Alzheimer's.

A spokeswoman from the UK Cystic Fibrosis Gene Therapy Consortium, which is trialling gene therapy in patients, said: "The techniques used in this research are innovative, but more work is needed before this could be translated into clinical benefit for people with CF.

"Although the results are positive in human lung tissue in a laboratory, it remains to be seen if it would work in the patient."

The UK CF Gene Therapy Consortium, funded by the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, are using a non-viral method to get the gene therapy product into the body and anticipate going to a major multi-dose clinical trial in 2010.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/7892520.stm

Published: 2009/02/17 00:11:05 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Micro: Obviously this is good news.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Cystic fibrosis gene cure closer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
micro, this is potentially good news...

However, it's got a potentially huge downside too.  My degree is in microbiology, with an emphasis in virology.  We looked at similar gene therapy pathways for other diseases in my classes.  While viral gene therapy has some great potential, there is a huge risk associated.  For example, lets say this modified adenovirus manages to pass on the selectivity for those lung cells to a different, harmful virus.  Unlikely, but certainly not impossible.  Suddenly you've got a harmful virus with a particularly nasty affinity for lung cells.  It's certainly a cool therapy, but tricky to safeguard against "cross-pollination" as it were. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:45 AM »
While viral gene therapy has some great potential, there is a huge risk associated. 

Don't forget the vampiresque zombies. This is exactly how it happened last time...
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:54 AM »
Hospitals are going to lose a LOT of money.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams