Author Topic: 13 year old's computer got AVG run today...  (Read 10930 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: 13 year old's computer got AVG run today...
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:43 AM »
Try letting her use a comp that has Ubuntu on it already, she might like it.

+1!  Configured properly, Linux Ubuntu functions so much like Windows it will only take a few minutes to learn the differences.  It may not be as visually stimulating, but it uses far less of your computer's resources, it's free, and isn't susceptible to Windows viruses.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »
If they insist on running Windows, at least force them to run as regular users, NOT administrators or power users.  Downside: if they want to install something, you have to come do it. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
...how does a person manage to get so many trojans?

By not using the computer equivalent of the Trojan brand, with a dash abstinence.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
I don't remember having major virus/trojan problems at that age. Of course, I ran... various programs on my computer until I discovered RS.

How old are you?  Let's assume you're 20.  It would have been 7 years ago when you were 13 (math is fundamental).  Viruses, while very common, still weren't quite as common and easy to get as today.  It's getting exponentially worse every year. 

I'm 35.  Computer viruses existed when I was 13, but they were harder to get because they had so few vectors.  That said, they tended to be more damaging to the computer, but less likely to give the virus writer or user access to your bank account.

I got my first computer virus when I was 19, in college (don't many of us get our first "bug" in college from unsafe practices. ;) :D ).

That said, since then, I haven't gotten a significant computer virus.  It's a combination of luck, system setup, and personal habits.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
Try letting her use a comp that has Ubuntu on it already, she might like it.

Hell, just try running the Ubuntu Live CD for a while. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »
If they insist on running Windows, at least force them to run as regular users, NOT administrators or power users.  Downside: if they want to install something, you have to come do it. 

Generally I would agree, but if the copy of XP is XP Home, I'd say don't bother.  There is no power user type account, you're either a full admin or plain user.  With Windows, there are too many things that require a power user for this to work with XP Home.  I tried that on our home laptop and got so tired of having to bounce into my Admin account, I made our daily account an admin.  XP Home lacks the user privilege granularity to be usable in that manner.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 08:44:58 AM »
I'm 35.  Computer viruses existed when I was 13, but they were harder to get because they had so few vectors.

Yup.  I remember scanning every *beep* *beep* floppy disk in the place I was working then, for Michelangelo.  This would have been 1991 or 2.  The first virus that really came to the public attention, because it had a trigger date.

It's a combination of luck, system setup, and personal habits.

Personal habits is a biiig factor. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:30 AM »
If it were my 13 year old, and there wasn't anything I wanted on the computer....I'd nuke from orbit.  Reinstall the OS, lock down the firewall settings and use an admin password.  That'll teach the twerp, losing all his favorite games and music and such.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
I might be missing out on the times, but what the HELL is a 13 year old doing with a private computer and internet access?  :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »
Ok, solution time. 

Here are the two ways I'd do it:

Ubuntu.  Not the best solution from what you describe.

Or...

Install XP and all apps.  Use Norton Ghost to make a copy you can store on a DVD, stash that DVD somewhere safe.  When kiddo nukes the system again you can rebuild in minutes rather than hours. 

Next, install a 2nd drive and mount the filesystem it to the working system without giving it a drive letter (it shows up as a directory under C:\ instead).  Mount it as "c:\documents and settings\<kid's account>".  Therefore, ALL data she creates will be stored on this 2nd drive, even stuff on the desktop.  I've done this before and it works well.  I mounted my 2nd drive as the "My Documents" directory, but there's no reason you couldn't do it for the user's entire "home" directory.  BTW, at work, our Unix home directories on any given system aren't on the physical system, but NFS shares on a SAN.  That way, no matter which system we're on, we have our normal home directory.

Next, install a third drive and have windows mirror these two drives or install some sort of automagic folder syncronizing software to make sure all contents of the 2nd drive are copied to the 3rd drive.  That is your data backup.  The third drive could even be a USB external, though that would work better with the syncing software.  I think  mirroring to a USB connected drive would slow the system too much since it's done in real time. 

When you have to rebuild her computer, her data will be safely stored on the 2nd drive (and 3rd drive if you go that route).

It'll be a bit of work to set up, but it'll make restoration easier.  If you do this, I would hold off on the Ghost imaging until after you get the other drives configured as well so a restore won't blow away the mount points.  You "Ghost" the system after all configuration is complete, just before "handing the keys" to the kid.  You could even ghost the system to the 3rd drive and run the restore from there in the future.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
I don't remember having major virus/trojan problems at that age. Of course, I ran... various programs on my computer until I discovered RS.

Look, you are a nerd. We're talking about other 13 year olds, who are as dumb as a bag of hammers (a small percentage eventually wise up, most grow up but stay just as stupid). You are very much the exception, not the rule. Hence Bogie's post about "teh stupidity!" of the "users"

My sisters are complete idiots, but in comparison to the brats Bogie is dealing with, they are computer genius.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
It's not working. Make it work!

I'm gonna scrounge an Ubuntu live cd tonight, and see if I can suck all the photos down to a removable drive...

Problem is, if it is removable, it has to be unplugged and put away, because it may randomly be unplugged and tossed across the room for no apparent reason...

"It's a computer. There are moving parts inside. You have to be careful with it?"

"Why isn't it working?"

Blog under construction

Iain

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
I'm gonna scrounge an Ubuntu live cd tonight, and see if I can suck all the photos down to a removable drive...

That should solve the issue of saving the pictures. The existing partitions should automount.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »
Well, I'm about to start screwing with it... I -sincerely- hope that the CD version will let me load a USB drive...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
Not long ago I got hit with a virus -- one of those that masquarades as an anti-virus application and pops up a window "offering" its services. In my case, it has since been confirmed that the source was PhotoBucket, but it took PhotoBucket a long while to (a)'fess up that they had a problem, and (b) do anything about it.

The point of all this is that the virus corrupted something in the boot sequence of WinXP. Reloading WinXP did not solve the problem. Ultimately, I pulled the hard drive and installed it as a second drive in another computer of the same make and model. Lo and behold, all the data files were intact. So the solution was to copy all the data files off, reformat the drive in the spare box, reinstall the drive in the primary box and then reinstall WinXP and all the primary applications, then copy the saved data files back onto the primary computer.

T'was a pain in the wazooskus, but I now have my data intact and a (hopefully) cleaner and better organized hard drive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:06 AM »
I need a xanax the size of Mike's ego...

I need a sig line. Can I use that?

I dealt with a 50 year old for the same problems your describing.
Him, the fact that he lived in Chicago, and the bad capacitors around 2000 got me out of building systems.
Now I only work on my own systems, cars, appliances, TV's...

If people know you can fix things there is no limit to the things you will be asked to fix for free.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
I might be missing out on the times, but what the HELL is a 13 year old doing with a private computer and internet access?  :O

I had a private computer an Internet access at that age. It was my reward for successfully learning to speak English. :D

As you see, my family may have made a mistake there... =D =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:35 AM »
I'm still fixing computers that died from those bad capacitors. 

New motherboards for all my customers thus afflicted.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »
I'm still fixing computers that died from those bad capacitors. 

New motherboards for all my customers thus afflicted.   =|
Two trips from Kansas City to Chicago in a week killed all profit on that one and several others.
And then the others started dying.
I told him to go buy a Dell. He's there problem now. =D
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »
Dell had the bad cap problem too, and the problem lasted way later than 2000.  Some folks I know have a P4, new enough to have SATA drives, with a whole buttload of blown caps.  I've redone windows about 3 times for them, and told them about the problem, over the years.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »
Give this a shot

===============

** If you are still unable to boot normally **

1. When computer restarts, press F8 to access Advanced Menu.

2. Use arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, press Enter.

3. Select operating system, press Enter.
good advice snipped by boyd
=========================================================================

Lemme know if it works and I'll send you my bill.  :angel:
Good advice, but ya know, there really is no time like the present for teen to put down the ipod and learn about system care herself ... My day job has been hovering around support positions for ~20 years now and the most rewarding support I do is when it gets other people thinking about what the system is doing so that they can fix it next time without me. Some guy said something cogent about learning to fish sometime. I forget who ;)

go_bang

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
Well, I'm about to start screwing with it... I -sincerely- hope that the CD version will let me load a USB drive...

The Ubuntu install CD can act as a live CD or as an install.  Boot the PC with it as a live CD and it will let you mount USB drives and access any FAT or NTFS partitions on the PC's hard drive.

That is the way I would handle this.  There is no way I would take the drive out of that PC and connect it to another Windows machine.  That's an excellent way for whatever has infected her PC to get it's hooks in yours.

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
bksnip
And Mommy's sister chewed me out tonight for putting Tbird on one of the business computers - "It doesn't work." Doh, took her half an hour to tell me that it -quit- working after she installed McAfee... Doh, two firewalls, one of them McAfeecrap...

Of course, before I insisted that they do stuff like that, they were doing total restores about once a month...

I need a xanax the size of Mike's ego...
May I suggest a different prescription? I have this friend (true story) who has trouble like this. She talked to her doctor about it and he grabbed the ol' rx pad and wrote down one word. You might think it was "Xanax" or even Dewars ;) but it was the word "No". He directed her to post this on the frame of her monitor and consult it every time someone asked her to volunteer for something. And make no mistake about it, your 13 year old is using you as a volunteer. She may not -want- to learn this stuff, but if she valued it properly she -could-.

I have an 11 yo who insists on finding "free" screensavers and games on the net. He began learning about the cost of "free" when I disconnected his system from our home network. He didn't like it. So late one Saturday we reconnected it about 10pm when no one else was using things and we watched the access points activity light go like a bonfire. I explained to him that it wasn't ethical for me to give the russian mafia (or whoever had powned his machine) network bandwidth to send his mom P*n*s enhancement emails. So his choice was to have network or fix the problem. Then I backed down a little and helped him find a removal tool for that particular trojan.

He's a lot more careful about "free" now.  bk425

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
If people know you can fix things there is no limit to the things you will be asked to fix for free.

Ain't that the truth.  BTDT, got the T-shirt, etc.

Had an eMachine with swollen caps just a couple of weeks ago.  That client got new motherboard.
I'm going to try a repair on his old one just to see if I can do it.  I did a lot of component-level repair back in the day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:44:06 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

go_bang

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »
Ain't that the truth.  BTDT, got the T-shirt, etc.

When I help people with stuff like this I try to make it clear to them that it is on the condition that they also let me teach them how to take care of things themselves.  If they aren't willing to hold up their end of the bargain then they're on their own.