Author Topic: Help Graves Find A Backpack  (Read 10441 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Help Graves Find A Backpack
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 02:42:16 AM »
On another forum I used to frequent, one of the moderators had a pack for their dog that they took with them on camping trips.  It carried all the dog's supplies (dog food) plus some extras. 

Pretty good idea. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
If you're cheap, you can buy NBC water hoses for standard USGI canteens.  With some creative modifications, as they're intended for your gas mask, it can be used.  I prefer just buying proper drinking tubes. 

I used to use two pieces of tarp instead of a tent.  A roof secured with 550 cord and another piece of tarp on the ground to keep my sleeping bag from getting wet.  First time I used the new US Army modular sleep system, I was a convert.  I swear to the Gods, it is the best piece of field sleeping gear ever made.  Goretex bag, and two nylon bags inside.  My first field trial was at an old barracks.  &(#)$$#@ heater got stuck in the "on" position and the second floor was well over a hundred degrees.  Outside was a foot of snow.  We took the snow.  Over the course of the night, our bodies slowly melted the snow.  We woke up bone dry and plenty warm.  Looked like a row of graves, tho.   =D

Not sure if any civvies make a reasonable approximation?
Civies have been making bivvy sacks, including gore tex versions, for quite some time.  The new army sleep system is just a dumbed down and camo-colored version of the stuff climbers and ultralight hikers have been using for ages.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___73075__244

http://www.rei.com/category/4500665

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
Maybe if you feel the need to plink, carry a light .22 rifle.

Marlin Papoose. You can forget it's there.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
Civies have been making bivvy sacks, including gore tex versions, for quite some time.  The new army sleep system is just a dumbed down and camo-colored version of the stuff climbers and ultralight hikers have been using for ages.

Ooo, thank you very much for the links.  I'll have to do a bit more research...   But if you say the the army sleep system is "dumbed down", I hope that I'll be quite impressed.  The sleep system we used was absolutely wonderful.  Comfy, not stuffy, light, compacted lightly.  Only thing you needed to add was netting, which it looks like the civvie versions include.

Marlin Papoose. You can forget it's there.

P95Carry from THR was kind enough to let me try his.  Very impressive, weight wise.  Ugly as sin, of course.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »
A bivy sack is fine, but you can probably find a 1 person tent that weighs very close to what the bivy weighs... and it is a lot more comfortable.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »
A bivy sack is fine, but you can probably find a 1 person tent that weighs very close to what the bivy weighs... and it is a lot more comfortable.
A nice tarp weighs even less still, offers more space, is more comfortable, and is more waterproof due to its superior ventilation.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
P95Carry from THR was kind enough to let me try his.  Very impressive, weight wise.  Ugly as sin, of course.

It isn't meant for showing off! =)

I've got a stainless Model 66 in a grey laminate stock to show off with. I have a Papoose to shove in a drybag and toss in a kayak's equipment hatch with the first aid and food. It's a survival rifle that's just far better than the other crappy one that shall not be named. :lol:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »
In the heat many prefer external frame packs. The Kelty linked to earlier is a tried and true tested design.

If you are only warm weather backpacking a down quilt will keep you comfortable into the 50's. A typical rule of thumb is choose a bag giving you 10 degrees of cushion below the low temps you expect to see.
Both my sleeping bags are down filled, they are lighter and more comfortable than synthetics, YMMV.

Get either merino wool base layers or decent synthetic base layer underwear, REI  and Patagonia both make good stuff.  My favorite underwear for hiking in are Ex Officio boxer briefs. I only use Smartwool brand socks to backpack in. Taking care of your feet is of the utmost importance! Your boots are going to be critical, make sure they are well fitted to your feet. A boot that works dayhiking may not work when you load an extra 40lbs on your back.

You are tall so you will need a two man tent most likely as a solo shelter. A lot of taller/bigger guys use tarps for that reason. Personally I want my nighttime shelter to be a barrier from the bugs. I use a two man tent as a solo shelter because I want to be screened in from the bugs. There are a couple solo tents out there that are big enough for me I just haven't dropped the cash on one.

REI sells "Ruff Wear" backpacks for dogs.

Here is a typical gear list   http://www.backpacker.com/spring_summer_fall_gear_checklist/gear/12107?page=1
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:55:03 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
Personally I want my nighttime shelter to be a barrier from the bugs. I use a two man tent as a solo shelter.
I've found that a good sheet of no-seeum netting works well to keep the bugs off when using a tarp.  Usually it's enough just to drape a sheet over the upper half of my body.  In really buggy conditions I fold the sheet over and safety-pin it along two sides, forming a big pillow case sort of thing.  Slip it over the head end of my sleeping bag.

There's a guy in California that hand makes some great tarps and bivies:  www.owareusa.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 12:08:53 AM »
If you insist on carrying the rifle, Cabelas (and probably other sporting goods stores as well) sell backpacks that have a rifle carrier built into them.  They usually have an external frame and cost around $100-300.

No need to get a special bag to carry your rifle.

Most packs have 2 water bottle carriers on their sides.  If you resign yourself to carrying one water bottle (an easy and convenient task), you can stash the other bottle in one of the carriers.  The other empty carrier can hold your rifle's butt, and you can use the external lashing straps of the pack to secure the rifle in place.

This doesn't help for the immediate opportune shot on a yote or defensive need of a rifle... but that's why we have handguns.

FYI, this technique is exactly how I intend to carry my M14 on the trip I mentioned in my earlier post.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
No need to get a special bag to carry your rifle.

Most packs have 2 water bottle carriers on their sides.  If you resign yourself to carrying one water bottle (an easy and convenient task), you can stash the other bottle in one of the carriers.  The other empty carrier can hold your rifle's butt, and you can use the external lashing straps of the pack to secure the rifle in place.

This doesn't help for the immediate opportune shot on a yote or defensive need of a rifle... but that's why we have handguns.

FYI, this technique is exactly how I intend to carry my M14 on the trip I mentioned in my earlier post.

Just remember to cover the muzzle with something if you carry it barrel-up. I preferred carrying my 92 carbine with the stock above the shoulder.

Purpose made shoot-off covers are good, as are a finger cot or a condom secured with a rubber band...but the latter will get you jokes from people you're with.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
i really don't see the point of the sks. a good revolver is all you need.

pack light, take care of your feet, and keep it simple.

the rest of what i would have said is pretty much redundant at this point.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Here is a link to a guys website who spends all his spare time out in the NorthWoods. He is usually hiking off trail bushwacking.

I like a lot of his philosophy and have used his gear lists to fine tune my set up. Look on the left side of the page under "Backpacking" and "Bush Skills"

http://therucksack.tripod.com/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:40:32 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.