Author Topic: How to cut concrete blocks?  (Read 9970 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
How to cut concrete blocks?
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »
I have a few molded concrete block landscape pavers that I need to cut.  Anyone know how to do it?

TMM

• friend
Re: How to cut concrete blocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
depending on how thick, use an angle grinder with a diamond coated blade...

like a knife through butter, or, as Gramps says, like S--- through a tin horn.

tmm

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
Heh, ok.  Let me rephrase.  How can I cut 'em without investing in fancy, expensive new tools?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »
Well, the cheapest, but hardest, way is to get a big brick chisel and work your way through them slowly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »
Detcord

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »
If I had detcord, what would I need you guys for?

:P

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »
Do they make any hacksaw blades that might work on concrete?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »
Do they make any hacksaw blades that might work on concrete?

Cutting through concrete by hand is INCREDIBLY time consuming and difficult.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
If you don't wanna buy tools rental is an option. You have any friends you could borrow a tool from? Maybe borrow the angle grinder and just buy a blade.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
Serious answer, masonry cut off blades that will fit your circular saw or chop saw, assuming you have a circular saw or chop saw....

You would be happier with a bigger industrial rental version of either if you have very many to do.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
Detcord
I was going to suggest Tannerite and a hammer
 :laugh:

I actually got to practice using detcord to create a practice landing field.  We blew up some concrete blocks and 2x4's that had been duct taped together.  Serious fun  :cool:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Serious answer, masonry cut off blades that will fit your circular saw or chop saw, assuming you have a circular saw or chop saw....

You would be happier with a bigger industrial rental version of either if you have very many to do.
Cool.  I guess it's off to the hardware store to find a masonry blade for the circular saw.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »
I have a few molded concrete block landscape pavers that I need to cut.  Anyone know how to do it?

I'd get a chisel. It cuts a pretty straight line, but its not perfectly flat like a saw blade. The block stands out less that way.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
What? Angle grinder?   ;/

Go to your local tool rental place and get a wet saw. Wet saws use a cutting wheel cooled and lubricated by water. The water also keeps control of the dust. They are pretty standard for cutting ceramic tile. There might be heavier duty blades for brick.

http://www.masonrymagazine.com/6-02/cover.html

The key to needing tools for specialized jobs like this is renting. Jackhammers, brick saws, etc can all be rented by the hour or by the day for pretty cheap.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
circular saw with a $40 diamond blade will work well.   use a water hose to cool and lubricate the blade.   turn the hose on low with no nozzle and let the water flow from the back to the front of the blade on both sides at once.   use just enough water to keep the dust controlled. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
I punched a hole in a cinder block wall once with a series of holes drilled with a masonry bit and the rest with a hammer and chisel. Didn't take that long.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:09:45 PM »
Rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade. It'll have a connection to your garden hose. It'll be like a chain saw, except with a belt and pulley instead of bar and chain. I used one to fit the cap blocks on the curved parts of this wall.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 05:29:28 AM »
If I had detcord, what would I need you guys for?

:P

To find your fingers when you're done with the detcord of course!
Look, tiny text!

Mike

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 06:56:45 AM »
If you don't have many to cut take your Circurlar saw and turn an old blade (worn out) around backwards and use that. You may need to wet it down to help keep it cool.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:24 AM »
While not entirely practical for your purpose, my dad told me of the story of building one of the world's biggest dams (Itaipu in Brazil).  Each "pour" of the concrete had to set a certain amount in order to remove the frames and put the new frames in place for the next pour.  They essentially poured giant concrete blocks.  Well, in order to get good adhesion between the previous pour and the current pour, they had to cut the top of the block off to expose "raw" concrete.  They used a massive water jet with some kind of abrasive agent.  These things ran at 10k psi, and I don't know how many gpm.  The guys that ran the cutters had to be psych screened because the water jet would literally cut a person in half from 10 feet away.  (They had one happen accidentally.)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »
While not entirely practical for your purpose, my dad told me of the story of building one of the world's biggest dams (Itaipu in Brazil).  Each "pour" of the concrete had to set a certain amount in order to remove the frames and put the new frames in place for the next pour.  They essentially poured giant concrete blocks.  Well, in order to get good adhesion between the previous pour and the current pour, they had to cut the top of the block off to expose "raw" concrete.  They used a massive water jet with some kind of abrasive agent.  These things ran at 10k psi, and I don't know how many gpm.  The guys that ran the cutters had to be psych screened because the water jet would literally cut a person in half from 10 feet away.  (They had one happen accidentally.)
Forget the detcord, I want want of those!

I'd use it to cut my neighbor's house in half when they play their music too loud late at night.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
its slower but a high powered power washer and a 0 degree tip will cut concrete
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
Are you cutting them to meet the countor of a layout?
You can just lay them out and then cut them with a demo saw.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Depending on the type of block, it can be very easy to break them in half with a chisel.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine