Author Topic: Hats  (Read 37771 times)

TMM

• friend
Re: Hats
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
Fedoras are for pimps and time-traveling 1930's gangsters. Unless you're in a suit, a fedora is just trying too hard.

strongly disagree. if you didn't know, everyone in the 30's, and a number of years in either direction, wore fedoras as part of a regular, daily ensemble.
pimp-fedoras are usually crappy fabric ones with 1" brims and gangsta-design stamps all over them.
But, i guess i don't disagree with the time-traveling gangsters. Al Capone was a good dresser...

best example of a well-worn fedora is tom waits...
http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/images/portraits20062010/06-nov10-nrc-corbijn.jpg
no suit...surely not a gangster or pimp.

tmm

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
My ushanka is a bit big. . .

Sometimes when one doesn't know the meaning of a word, sentences can give the wrong connotation until the meaning of the word can be properly inferred. . .

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »
On a general note, it took me a few years to realize that a hat just ought to be part of your gear when you go outside.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
Sometimes when one doesn't know the meaning of a word, sentences can give the wrong connotation until the meaning of the word can be properly inferred. . .
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Kovpak_partisanki.jpg

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »
i have a real deal Afghan Pakol that is mondo warm but a tad on the itchy side
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
strongly disagree. if you didn't know, everyone in the 30's, and a number of years in either direction, wore fedoras as part of a regular, daily ensemble.
pimp-fedoras are usually crappy fabric ones with 1" brims and gangsta-design stamps all over them.
But, i guess i don't disagree with the time-traveling gangsters. Al Capone was a good dresser...

best example of a well-worn fedora is tom waits...
http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/images/portraits20062010/06-nov10-nrc-corbijn.jpg
no suit...surely not a gangster or pimp.

tmm

DUring that time period, suits were also required outfits in polite company. As I've said, fedora+suit is great. Otherwise, not so much. I'm sure we can all think of someone who gets away with something fashion wise that most people just can't pull off.

Also, unless your head is shaped funny (like mine) there really is no reason to be embarassed about going bald. It's a silly social convention.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
With the sub-freezing temps outside, I've taken to wearing baseball-style caps again, even after swearing I'd never again wear a cover after retiring from the military.

My latest acquisition?

A Gander Mountain ball cap with two tiny white high-intensity LEDs in the bill.  The batteries and switch are on the back near the adjustment clasp. They call it Panther Vision, a whopping $9.95.

I just wish I had it before when I had to change out the alternator in my truck...

http://www.panthervision.com/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
After going to a Brad Paisley concert the other night, I do feel kind of inadequite for not owning a single camo, gun/feed store related baseball cap. :D

Oh wait, I still have that old Pioneer Seed Company one around somewhere.....

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »
Wow, some good advice here!  I'm really liking the looks of that Tilley...

I don't think I can pull off the fedora.  That's probably a question for my wife.

Also, unless your head is shaped funny (like mine) there really is no reason to be embarassed about going bald. It's a silly social convention.

My head actually has odd ridges in it.  Those sections are still covered with hair, but I'd look like Darth Vader if I went totally bald.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »
I really need to figure this hat-thing out too. Since I've gave up on my hairline and am now buzzing myself to 1/4" and summer is approaching.

I have a couple of nice quality ball-caps from GSSF matches, but they look a little "NASCAR-ish" for the image I like to convey. My problem with ball-caps is that I can never get the forehead to ride right, it always caves in and looks rumpled. I think it's because I have a long oval/rectangualr skull, and it stretches the hat out making the front wrinkle.

I can never get a nice profile like this: http://www.scorelow.com/media/images/product_detail/Nike08_StitchHat_White_LG.jpg

And with red hair/blue eyes, a ball-cap or "golf" ball-cap does nothing for my ears or the back of my neck. However I'm not sure I can pull off the other kinds of hats either.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »

At least I didn't meantion my lady and I have matching ushankas.    =D

Hey, tis not my fault you people have your minds in the gutter.   Anyways, my poor abused ushanka
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:22:30 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
I think a lot of you have no idea what a real fedora is, as opposed to the modern stingy brim revival by idiot pop stars.

They are a daily wear hat, the suit makes the fedora dressy, the fedora isn't dressy on its own.  Note these guys are wearing a variety of clothing, not suits, and most are wearing fedoras to keep the weather off.

Jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt?  Okay, I'll grant that a fedora doesn't go with that, but not much besides a ball cap does.  Wear a big boy shirt and shoes and you can find a lid to go with it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
Fedora used to be an everyday item. So what? Just cause it used to be an everyday item doesn't mean women would look normal in this....

crt360

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Here (in Texas), there are approximately two varieties of year-round, daily headwear: cowboy hat & baseball cap.  When it gets really cold, various knit caps and wool crushers might be seen, but that's limited to a few days a year.  In the heat of the summer, you can even wear a sombrero or one of those tilley hats if you're mowing or watching catfish poles.  I don't believe I've seen anyone wear a nice fedora with any regularity since my grandfather and others of his generation passed on (and even they didn't wear them daily).
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
The Stetson Moose River hat in the Cabela's catalog is a fedora.

Cut a cowboy hat brim down to 3" or less and it becomes a fedora, for instance, LBJ wore a fedora with a cattleman's crease style crown bash. 

They are just a high crown felted hat with a moderate brim, nothing fancy at all, you don't even need any sort of band.  Eminently practical in all weather conditions.

And they still get compliments from women.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
My next serious hat purchase will likely be a fedora for cold-weather months.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
My head actually has odd ridges in it.

hat for thee:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »
Yaar!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
I wish tri-corner hats were still socially acceptable....

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
Fedora used to be an everyday item. So what? Just cause it used to be an everyday item doesn't mean women would look normal in this....

Balog,

Do not taunt our resident fedora aficionado.

He can deliver a withering, umm, well, you know...   =D 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
Balog,

Do not taunt our resident fedora aficionado.

He can deliver a withering, umm, well, you know...   =D 

Personal style critique?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »
Yeah. 

That's it!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
I wish tri-corner hats were still socially acceptable....

You mean they're not ?    :mad:
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.