Author Topic: Too much green energy at night. Turn them off or pay high fees.  (Read 7693 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Too much green energy at night. Turn them off or pay high fees.
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »
Why not divert the extra electricity into the bigger cities like Amsterdam, Paris, and Antwerp?....

....I'm pretty sure Amsterdam's red-light district could find ways to use the extra juice.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Too much green energy at night. Turn them off or pay high fees.
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 06:06:15 PM »
as i understand it, the process is about on par with energy storage in load acid batteries. most times, the cost to store electricity in lead acid batteries over the life of the batteries on a per kw-hr basis exceeds the value of the electricity.

This is supposed to be more efficient because the turbines themselves don't produce electricity, instead all they are are wind-powered air pumps.  The air proceeds through tubes/ducts to a central facility where a turbine designed to extract power from pressurized air actually produces the electricity.

So you're not wasting electricity pumping the air in the first place.  Maintenance should be pretty easy as well.

No idea if the system can compete with traditional wind turbines though, it might have use as a green 'peaker plant'.  Leave the central turbine off/at minimal production most of the time while you build up pressure, then turn on during peaks.