Author Topic: Barak vs the UK: Special Snub Edition  (Read 9821 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Barak vs the UK: Special Snub Edition
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Giving a Bronx cheer to the Brits in DC while giving vile regimes like Iran a tongue bath.

Way to go, BHO. 

Oh, do read the story about the Resolute:
http://www.metafilter.com/78629/RESOLUTE

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OWE5MTg4YTc2N2IxZjMzOWZmNTk5ZmVjNzcwY2U4ODI=

He's Just Not That Into the Special Relationship   [Mark Hemingway]

It's the top story in our web-briefing but, if you haven't heard, the President gave U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown a gift of 25 DVDs of classic American films. Given enough exposure, no doubt Brown will soon develop a taste for the strange and provincial American cultural expression known as "cinema." I hear it's finally starting to catch on abroad. Now here are the gifts Brown gave Obama:

Mr Brown’s gifts included an ornamental desk pen holder made from the oak timbers of Victorian anti-slaver HMS Gannet, once named HMS President.

Mr Obama was so delighted he has already put it in pride of place in the Oval Office on the Resolute desk which was carved from timbers of Gannet’s sister ship, HMS Resolute.

Another treasure given to the U.S. President was the framed commission for HMS Resolute, a vessel that came to symbolise Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice packs by Americans and given to Queen Victoria.

Finally, Mr Brown gave a first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

These gifts are even more impressive and thoughtful than these few paragraphs suggest, given the amazing story behind the Resolute and how it is a potent symbol of U.S.-U.K. goodwill. So Brown clearly outclassed Obama in that regard.

But I also love the symbolism of that final gift — Martin Gilbert's classic Churchill biography. If it seemed a bit tone deaf when Obama returned the Churchill bust that had been in the White House, well it now appears that no less a figure than the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom is subtly sending a message that Obama should better understand the historical importance of one of his country's greatest leaders. Well played.

UPDATE — a reader writes:

It would be funny if the DVDs Mr Obama gave Mr Brown were Region 1 NTSC and therefore not compatible with the UK where DVDs are region 2 and video format is PAL.

I would love to see someone on Fleet Street ask Brown whether the President gave Gordon Brown DVDs that are not playable in England. That could prove amusing.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Barak vs the UK: Special Snub Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
That was horrendously un-classy.

But since something that celebrated American values like first editions of Twain or Robert Frost or any of that would not have fit, I guess they figured first editions of Saul Alinsky's book or a rare draft of Das Kapital would not have been well-received?

So...the discount store DVD set, I guess. It's cheap, unthoughtful, and made in China.

Good one, Barack.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:37:57 PM by Manedwolf »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »
the children's gift exchange was total classless dreckery

Maybe Hillary Clinton should advise them on protocol

Well, what would you buy Gordon Brown? He's not a man known for pleasure - rather as the sort to take an afternoon's summer holiday before heading straight back to work, so it must be hard. But Barack Obama can't have predicted the scornful response of the Daily Mail when he decided to pick Gordon up a few DVDs.

In return for a pen holder carved from the timbers of the sister ship of the one the White House desk is made from and a first edition of a seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill, the Mail is appalled that "Barack Obama, the leader of the world's richest country" gave Brown a box set of 25 DVDs selected by the American Film Institute. These include Raging Bull, Casablanca, Psycho and The Graduate. It is, the Mail says, "a gift about as exciting as a pair of socks".

Yet another example of the British press's apparent mission to feel snubbed by Obama on Gordon Brown's behalf and obsession with the passing of the special relationship with Bush (which was - at best - bittersweet). Was it only yesterday a commentary in the Times bemoaned the supposed injustice of the Browns giving the Obama's daughters Top Shop dresses (with matching necklaces) when all their parents gave the Brown boys were models of the presidential helicopter Marine One? Yes it was.

It's difficult to resist reading political messages into these films. Like Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront, could Brown have been "a contender ... a somebody" if the US Congress had shown a little more interest in his global New Deal? Like Luke Skywalker on the Millennium Falcon, is Brown's history of support for light-touch financial regulation in the City of London now endangering the mission?

The 25 films also include two from the end of the Great Depression: the Grapes of Wrath (recommended to Obama on this blog a while back) and the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps there is something here. A 1990 paper in the Journal of Political Economy argued it could be read as monetary allegory: in this interpretation the yellow brick road represents the gold standard (a return to which is not US policy).

The set also include three of Obama's five personal favourites, according to his Facebook page: Casablanca, The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia (omitted are the second Godfather film and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

Obama is, incidentally, really, really pleased with the pen holder and books. The White House even put out a press release saying so. It tells us the president thanked the prime minister and "noted the pen set is being displayed on the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office and the books are in the president's personal study adjoining the Oval Office".

Maybe Brown's office will tweet each time he watches one of the 25. The Mail's full list is here. Please add your own cinematic/political interpretations below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2009/mar/06/obama-dvd-brown
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
A 1990 paper in the Journal of Political Economy argued it could be read as monetary allegory: in this interpretation the yellow brick road represents the gold standard (a return to which is not US policy).

Argued!? ARGUED!?

The book WAS A FREAKING POLITICAL ALLEGORY!

Silver (not ruby) slippers: silver standard

Yellow Brick Road: gold standard

Emerald City: Washington DC

Scarecrow: Farmers

Tin Man: Industry Workers

Cowardly Lion: William Jennings Bryan, I think

GAH! Don't people teach anything in school?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz

Even lowly wiki has something about it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
Have to wonder if they were at least Blu-Ray Criterion Collection in a special casing or something, or just a halfassed box set.

I'm not sure the latter would surprise me, really. It is still not a one-of-a-kind Gift of State. It's something anyone can pick up at Costco with a hotdog.

Amateur Hour, indeed...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:52:59 PM by Manedwolf »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
But costco would have NTSC, region 1s

did he give a completely unusable set?

England is PAL, region 2 encoded DVDs
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
Epically tacky.  Way to go, asshat.  :mad:

About the only good to come of this, would be Barry pissing off Gordon enough that they didn't have time to get chummy and plan the Global New Deal.  Or whatever other kind of one world devilry they had planned. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
Which classic American films?

A Clockwork Orange would be cool.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »
Which classic American films?

A Clockwork Orange would be cool.  =D
:lol:

I was thinking that a replica Revolutionary War rifled musket would have been more thoughtful than DVD's.  Maybe he could have presented him with a nicely framed copy of the Declaration of Independence.  How about a sterling silver plate of the Boston Massacre.  :D 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
- “2001: A Space Odyssey”
- “Casablanca”
- “Chinatown”
- “Citizen Kane”
- “City Lights”
- “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial”
- “It’s a Wonderful Life”
- “Lawrence of Arabia”
- “On the Waterfront”
- “Psycho”
- “Raging Bull”
- “Schindler’s List”
- “Singin’ in the Rain”
- “Some Like It Hot”
- “Star Wars: Episode IV”
- “Sunset Boulevard”
- “The General”
- “The Godfather”
- “The Graduate”
- “The Grapes of Wrath”
- “The Searchers”
- “The Wizard of Oz”
- “To Kill a Mockingbird”
- “Vertigo”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
I was thinking that a replica Revolutionary War rifled musket would have been more thoughtful than DVD's.

We could give them back one of the Brown Bess muskets we stole from them during that war, but they'd just go throw it in the English Channel. =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
I figured it wouldn't be a boxed set of Firefly.....

"Hey, Rahm wadda we got in da prize closet for our guest today ??"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:36:32 PM »
Maybe a Johnny Horton album, with the Battle of New Orleans?

"Yeah, we ran through the briars, and we ran through the brambles..."   =D

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »
Maybe a Johnny Horton album, with the Battle of New Orleans?

"Yeah, we ran through the briars, and we ran through the brambles..."   =D

Are you thinking of Bobby Horton?

http://www.civilwarmusicstore.com/csanew1.html
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Nope.

Johnny Horton. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Horton

Might be a bit before your time, I dunno...

The BBC banned the song.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »
Are you thinking of Bobby Horton?

http://www.civilwarmusicstore.com/csanew1.html

Nope Johnny Horton.  I was at the local Boy scout shop the other day and it was playing on the oldies station.   I think I scared the clerks when I started to sing along...... =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsl_9yTvVw

(edit: G98 beat me to the punch....)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:15:24 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
Nope Johnny Horton.  I was at the local Boy scout shop the other day and it was playing on the oldies station.   I think I scared the clerks when I started to sing along...... =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edsl_9yTvVw

OK, I've never actually heard it, but my dad (a Bluegrass banjo picker) has told me about it. According to him, it's an old fiddle tune composed at Jackson's inauguration but didn't get words until Mr. Horton did the song.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
Well, BHO is on a digital media kick, it seems.

;)

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=3326

Obama to Meet Queen, Planning Gift of CD Box Set
by Scott Ott for ScrappleFace · 14 Comments

(2009-03-06) — When U.S. President Barack Obama meets with Queen Elizabeth II in advance of the G20 economic summit in April, Mr. Obama plans to continue his tradition of giving meaningful gifts to British dignitaries.

When Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited the White House this week, he received from the Obamas a collection of Top 25 American movies on DVD and his sons got toy versions of the president’s Marine One helicopter.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the president has also put a lot of thought into what gift to present to Her Majesty at Buckingham Palace.

White House insiders report Mr. Obama has narrowed it down to a CD box set, Queen: The Crown Jewels, or a queen-sized mattress.

At the moment, the music seems more likely, since the image of a bare-armed Michelle Obama, with rippling biceps, carrying the mattress into the palace might detract from the pageantry of the moment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »
Frankly I think it is quite an American gift and a gift indicative of the gifts that the Americans that put him in office understand.

Most of the working class people I know (i.e. my family) do the same thing at Christmas.  Spend a whole 10 minutes at Sams Club choosing a cheeeeeezzzeeeeyy boxed DVD set / crappy gift package / gift card at Christmas and expect it to knock their socks off.

Most Americans don't understand quality versus price/quantity.  If I bought anyone in my family an ornamental pen holder made from some historic wood, they'd sell it on ebay and use the cash to buy a boxed DVD set.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
Frankly I think it is quite an American gift and a gift indicative of the gifts that the Americans that put him in office understand.

Most of the working class people I know (i.e. my family) do the same thing at Christmas.  Spend a whole 10 minutes at Sams Club choosing a cheeeeeezzzeeeeyy boxed DVD set / crappy gift package / gift card at Christmas and expect it to knock their socks off.

Most Americans don't understand quality versus price/quantity.  If I bought anyone in my family an ornamental pen holder made from some historic wood, they'd sell it on ebay and use the cash to buy a boxed DVD set.

i don't think thats an american thing. i think thats a thing all around the world. i wouldn't doubt that any kid in a consumer orented country hasn't had the experiance of waking up on christmas morning and opened up the brightly wraped socks (or similar)

this is diffrent. a STATE VISIT. its a bit more complicated then christmas.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »
I just had a thought.

Brown's Monarchy just decided that Ted friggin Kennedy deserved an Honorary Knighthood.  Maybe Barry wasn't that far off in deliberately snubbing him.  :laugh:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:02 PM »
What's that slogan? Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
That's perfect......

Putin/Medvedev comes for a state visit and Obama starts handing out Hooter's T-Shirts......

:O :O :O :O

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
So? We're in a recession. We don't have the cash to give out stuff to foreign dignitaries. We just get a cheap DVD set at Sams and give 'em that.  :laugh:
It's fiscal responsibility.  =D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »
Aside from his idiotic policies, I'm just embarrassed by this guy. No class......  =(
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.