Author Topic: Who makes the best desk top computers these days, and best price?  (Read 7486 times)

lone_gunman

I am in need of a new computer... who do you recommend?

zahc

• friend
Re: Who makes the best desk top computers these days, and best price?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »
You do. As far as I know it's still cheaper to roll your own. Especially if you have at least some parts (optical drive, etc) you can scavenge from your old machine.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »
Or if you're a bit hesitant on "rolling your own", you could try pcusa.com, where they give you a bunch of choices of compatible stuff to put a system together. Not much more expensive than making it yourself, but you should still go to a place like Tom's Hardware to doublecheck compatibility.

Else if you don't care that much about peak performance, really Dell is still one of the better bangs for the buck on pre-built systems.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »
Build it yourself or get a Dell.  Dells aren't bad machines once you remove the junk software.  You can frequently get a new dell with monitor for not much more than it would cost to build it yourself (sometimes less).

Chris

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
You do. As far as I know it's still cheaper to roll your own.
I fully agree. If you don't mind getting your hands 'dirty', then building is the way to go.

Of course if you really need customer support and a warranty for the PC as a whole (or don't feel up to building it), then most desktops these days are pretty good. Although the same old marketing BS an be found on so called 'gaming' rigs, with '512MB of super-slow DDR2 128bit VRAM WOW!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
I fully agree. If you don't mind getting your hands 'dirty', then building is the way to go.

Of course if you really need customer support and a warranty for the PC as a whole (or don't feel up to building it), then most desktops these days are pretty good. Although the same old marketing BS an be found on so called 'gaming' rigs, with '512MB of super-slow DDR2 128bit VRAM WOW!
512?  My next build is probably going to end up with 6 gigs of DDR3 plus another 1 on the video card.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »
Build it yourself or get a Dell.  Dells aren't bad machines once you remove the junk software.  You can frequently get a new dell with monitor for not much more than it would cost to build it yourself (sometimes less).

Chris

I've bought three machines (2 PC's, one laptop) through the Dell outlet in the last 2 years.  All three are great machines and didn't come with an idiotic amount of software.  Also got a laptop through Dell's normal side, and it didn't come with all that much crap.  The only non-Dell in our house is an HP that was purchased at Circuit City, and it came with so much crap that I'm still deleting programs and games.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:39:20 PM »
Buy a Dell, delete the crapware.

Or go balls-out, and get an Alienware machine.   =D

You can't really roll your own for dirt cheap anymore - retail PC prices have dropped that much. By the time you purchase and assemble the machine, then buy and install whatever licensed copy of OS you want, you're right there with Dell, sans warranty.

(Yeah, I know there's TigerDirect and other sellers of kits.  I've assembled a couple, and you can ask Balog about the quality of what he received on his last kit build...)

I came to that conclusion a while ago, and about the only real savings I get is when I buy and refurbish corporate lease turn-ins, but that's a totally different animal - again, you're rolling up your sleeves, and still sans warranty.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
depends on what you want.

if you want a basic windows machine, it is hard to beat the price of a dell or one of the other online/phone sellers. and there is very little difference in quality between brands.

very little chance you can roll your own cheaper, unless you have some of the parts already.

beyond a basic machine, the question is a little different. gamers often end up rolling their own because they get what they actually want.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

lone_gunman

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
How are AMD processors compared to Intel?  Is Intel worth the extra money??

djw

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »
Saw a Lenovo(they bought IBMs stuff awhile back)with 320 hd and 3 gig of ram at Fry's this am for $300. Hard to beat that unless you need something super for gaming.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
I'm a fan of refurbed boxes from Tiger Direct... Delete the extra crapware, and you're good.

Way I figure it, the refurbs get a little extra attention - some idjit buys it, can't figure out how to plug it in, takes it back, and then it gets scoped by a tech and repacked.

Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
Look for the coupons and daily deals at Techbargains:  http://www.techbargains.com/

Last year, I picked up a nice HP desktop for $ 400 under list through one of the daily deals.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »
If you are located anywhere near me, I'll roll one up per your specifications, and give you a discount simply for being an APS member.  Near me being someplace in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.  By the time you factor in any significant shipping, the price would not be as competitive.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
You can't really roll your own for dirt cheap anymore - retail PC prices have dropped that much. By the time you purchase and assemble the machine, then buy and install whatever licensed copy of OS you want, you're right there with Dell, sans warranty.

Yeah.  The last time I built my own PC, it wasn't much cheaper than a low end Dell and that was after reusing the case, optical and flopy drives, monitor, etc.  The only new parts were mobo, memory, video card, and hdd.  It was more powerful than the equivalent priced Dell, but not by a huge amount.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »

Same question as when people ask "What gun shud I git?" -- what's it for?  Answers will vary depending on where it sits in the spectrum of rock solid work computer to bleeding edge blinkenlights gamer machine.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lone_gunman

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »
I was really more interested in a general opinion of brands than any specific model.  I was wanting to know how brands like Dell, HP, and Gateway stack up when compared to each other.  I don't plan to build my own computer.  I use the computer for internet mainly, but this includes downloading large x-ray studies from the hospital for viewing at home.  For things like CT scans, these are very big files, and I have to scroll back and to between hundreds of large x ray images.  I also use it for more casual use of the internet, as well as playing some games.  It needs to be fast, have a big hard drive, lot of ram, and good video memory/card.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
Putting on my professional hat for a moment, if you are doing Nighthawk radiology, I am surprised your employer is not putting in a teleradiology workstation in your home.   I assume you are going to have a suitably large professional quality LCD monitor.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »
I was really more interested in a general opinion of brands than any specific model.  I was wanting to know how brands like Dell, HP, and Gateway stack up when compared to each other.  I don't plan to build my own computer.  I use the computer for internet mainly, but this includes downloading large x-ray studies from the hospital for viewing at home.  For things like CT scans, these are very big files, and I have to scroll back and to between hundreds of large x ray images.  I also use it for more casual use of the internet, as well as playing some games.  It needs to be fast, have a big hard drive, lot of ram, and good video memory/card.

I prefer IBM/Lenovo as a brand, but I've also had good results with Dell.

lone_gunman

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
if you are doing Nighthawk radiology, I am surprised your employer is not putting in a teleradiology workstation in your home

I am not doing Nighthawk, nor am I a radiologist.  The radiologists get free computers from the hospital.  I actually am the guy taking care of the patient, and need to be able to see the films, not just a report.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
I am not doing Nighthawk, nor am I a radiologist.  The radiologists get free computers from the hospital.  I actually am the guy taking care of the patient, and need to be able to see the films, not just a report.

In that case, since it sounds as if you will be doing your own independent review to guide your diagnostic and therapeutic decisions, make sure that your graphics/monitor arrangements at home are of sufficient quality as to enable you to make diagnostic interpretations of the imaging studies.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »
There is very little difference in quality between the major brands and even the lesser known ones.

Most of the major components are made by just a few manufacturers - motherboard, HDD, DVD, memory, etc. Power supplies are commodity items and for most applications the cheapest thing you can get is quite adequate. The case is mostly sheet metal and cosmetic concerns aside, does not make much difference either. Windows machines all come with basically the same software.

These days a typical basic machine comes with video in amazingly high resolutions. The monitor chosen can make a huge difference.

Get a large HDD. Get lots of RAM. I'd advise staying away from vista if you can, but these days it is getting expensive to do that.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »
How are AMD processors compared to Intel?  Is Intel worth the extra money??

I always go AMD. I think they have better cheap processors. When I built this machine I bought a 5400+ for about a hundred bucks. I always figure about a hundred bucks for the processor; it usually buys a decent one.

By the time you purchase and assemble the machine, then buy and install whatever licensed copy of OS you want, you're right there with Dell, sans warranty.

This is true, if you are buying an OS. Purchase an OS and the price advantage dissolves pretty quickly. I skip the microsoft tax, cause I run linux. I'm not about to spend more than I spent on my HDD on bad OS that I don't like. Lucky that I don't have to.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:14 AM »

How much are you looking to spend?  Some of the companies do better with their top or bottom end...

I tend to do a 1-10 rating system for deciding what machine to shop for. 10 is hardcore computing needs, 1 is grandma and her email/browsing off of dial up.

General Internet use is rated at a 1 (Buy the cheapest machine you can).
'Large X-ray studies' I'm not familiar with, but at a guess I'd rate it a 3, with a caveat of buying the biggest, highest quality monitor you can afford, and a compatible video card.  Otherwise, I'd give it a 3-5, depending on just how screwed up the software for handling those images are.
'playing some games' - Would these be 'immersive' games like Bioshock, or 'casual' games like tetris?  Tetris gets a 2, Bioshock an 8.

For you, I'd shop around for a 'mid-range' machine, probably starting around $800, but upgraded with a better monitor.

For example, I hit dell up for their 'small business'(often better deals than the home site) - No monitor, 3GB RAM, 2.33Ghz Quad Core2, $643.
Unless you want the extra expense of getting a 64Bit operating system, it's not worth the $70 to get another GB.

Hard Drive, Dell wants $280 to put a 1TB drive instead of the default 250GB.  Personally, I'd just hit newegg up for a second HD if it turns out you need the space - they're offering a WD 2TB(!) for $300, but I'd probably just go for the Seagate 1.5TB for $130.

$360 for a 24" LCD monitor, newegg sells them for as low as $270, but you can get a Samsung for $300.  Only reason I'd consider buying it from Dell would be so the monitor tags along for any warranties.

$300 for a NVidia Geforce 9800GT isn't worth it when you can buy a EVGA 512GB GT for $130, assuming the default 256MB ATI card doesn't do it for you.

Hmmm...

Case&Power Supply, $200 est (I like LianLi cases and Seasonic power supplies, those won't be under $200)
HD, $130 Seagate 1.5TB
CPU/Motherboard: $270
RAM: 4GB $50(plenty to chose from)
Video: $130
Vista Home Premium: $100 - Can go 64 if you want.
Etc:  $70(mouse,keyboard, DVD Burner, etc...)

I'd build a machine for $950, cheaper than a 'upgraded' dell at $1,223, but I can't compete with their cheap end.

If you're going to be a 'power' user, building your own still makes sense, but for basic machines, I'd buy from a company.  Then get a good big monitor, varying from $300 for a 24"(1920x1200) to around a thouand for a 30"(2560x1600)

For getting the best deal, I'd get an idea of what I want, then keep an eye on the various stores, and wait a bit.  Something will pop up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:03:20 AM by Firethorn »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »
Gateway

Don't buy company is in bankruptcy.
I doubt you could even buy one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536