Author Topic: Kel Tec: who does your website?  (Read 10556 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Kel Tec: who does your website?
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:39:12 AM »
Cause it sucks hard. http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/ I'm no web design guru but even I cringed when I saw that. But why was I there in the first place? Blame Oleg. This pic made it look like they'd finally gotten around to introducing an "E" version of their nifty little SU-16 with a proper pistol grip and non-folding stock instead of just a DYI pistol grip kit. Seriously tho, are they so strapped for cash they can't throw a few hundred at a starving graphics art major and have a website that isn't circa 1995?

In any case, don't we have a couple SU-16 owners on here? How do you like the lil beasty?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Kel Tec: who does your website?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:56:24 AM »
Wow. Circa 1995 for sure. That's pretty terrible!

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:58:59 AM »
Yes, I think the same thing whenever I visit their site. They've become a fairly prominent gun company, and you'd think they could dedicate a small amount of resources to their website and advertising-- some simple changes would do wonders for their image, and separate them from the budget/crap gun makers like Hi-Point and Phoenix. I tend to think, based on their site and the designs of the guns they've put out, that whoever is running the show at Kel-tec has a pretty poor sense of aesthetics.

I can't vouch for the quality of their other products, but I'm very satisfied with my SU-16CA. Of course, my choices in California were limited and that was the primary deciding factor. It's been a great gun though... very reliable (I mostly run Wolf through it, with few stoppages), shoots accurately enough, and it's extremely lightweight. Makes an excellent gun to throw in your car or pack if you're going somewhere, and it's plastic and ugly enough that you're not going to be concerned about scratching the finish.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:11:54 AM by HForrest »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:06:41 AM »
An SU-16 with a real pistol grip that mates to an AR stock, in 7.62x39 fed from AK mags would be damn near perfect for me. Assuming it's durable.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:26:21 AM »
I read somewhere they're not durable, made for maybe a year of heavy duty
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:52 AM »
An SU-16 with a real pistol grip that mates to an AR stock, in 7.62x39 fed from AK mags would be damn near perfect for me. Assuming it's durable.

Nah; I want one in .243, or at least .308 so I can rebarrel for .243.  The difference in recoil between .223 and .243 isn't enough to worry about, but the difference in terminal ballistics can pretty spectacular with the right ammo.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »
Three pistol grips, IR laser, mates to a Sten stock, and chambered in .30-03 with five 200-round drums, and a fixed 24x holosight.

For cryin' out loud, people--they make basic guns at a low cost (minus the RFB) for a reason.  Adding bells and whistles raises the price and design to something it never should've been.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »
I would put it's vintage around 2001-2003.

Some of you don't remember how bad the 90's internet was.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »

Some of you don't remember how bad the 90's internet was.

I do.

Grey backgrounds, animated gifs, rainbow lines...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
I dunno, the website works, they have unified branding. Their website looks exactly like the cheap-ass box their pistols come in.  :lol:

I want a SU-16 but I don't think I like the new one in Oleg's pics. I want the thing to fold up and fire when folded. I think the D9 model is about the highlight for a cheap PDW type truck gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Three pistol grips, IR laser, mates to a Sten stock, and chambered in .30-03 with five 200-round drums, and a fixed 24x holosight.

For cryin' out loud, people--they make basic guns at a low cost (minus the RFB) for a reason.  Adding bells and whistles raises the price and design to something it never should've been.

Well, they already make the pistol grip kit, so offering it as a standard model doesn't seem too far-fetched. And the chambering issues are just a matter of preference.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »
<blink>shudder</blink>
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 11:23:15 AM »
The website is crude, but it loads quickly and is easy to navigate.  I prefer it to Ruger's.

Eye candy and lots of flash, java, etc don't impress me.  I want information.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:24:25 AM »
The website is crude, but it loads quickly and is easy to navigate.  I prefer it to Ruger's.

Eye candy and lots of flash, java, etc don't impress me.  I want information.

Chris

Rugers sucks.. too damn slow because of all the scripts. Takes forever to navigate too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
I dunno, the website works, they have unified branding. Their website looks exactly like the cheap-ass box their pistols come in.  :lol:

Exactly.  I buy a Kel-Tec because I want a firearm - not a pretty box or an expensive web site.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, compared to say Springfield's site it's freaking amazing. I was trying to look up some info on my XD and I had to quit because that crappy site was making want to punch my monitor.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
The worst thing to happen to the web was the marketers and graphic designers getting hold of it (ok, and AOlers too).

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
I thoroughly despite the flash & script-laden websites.  Even on new HW, they can be a pain to navigate.

Flash & JS have their places.  Eye-candy is not one of them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
I thoroughly despite the flash & script-laden websites.  Even on new HW, they can be a pain to navigate.

Flash & JS have their places.  Eye-candy is not one of them.

We finally fixed a problem related to our new firewalls, IE, and flash content.  Oddly enough, it didn't occur with other browsers, just IE, but changing a setting on the FW fixed it.  Pages that had Flash content would take minutes to load.  After the change, they load in 3 seconds or less.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
We finally fixed a problem related to our new firewalls, IE, and flash content.  Oddly enough, it didn't occur with other browsers, just IE, but changing a setting on the FW fixed it.  Pages that had Flash content would take minutes to load.  After the change, they load in 3 seconds or less.

Chris

I use Firefox.  Even without a HW FW, I despise the flash- & JS-happy web sites.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
The worst thing to happen to the web was the marketers and graphic designers getting hold of it (ok, and AOlers too).

Chris

Hey now, not all marketers do bloat sites. =) And the most godawful ugly sites are the ones the engineers do. Two words. BLUE and RED. :lol:

There's things like eye tracking studies and all that most are just clueless about.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »

Which is funny, because this is an updated version of their site.  It's only been set up this way for less than a year, it used to be blue and not set up as well.

Frankly I don't see anything wrong with it, it's got all the information, it loads quick, and everything is easy to find.

This is a 95-99 type of websites

But those sparkly special effects around the cursor are AWESOME!!!  We need that on this forum.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »
This is a 95-99 type of websites

http://www.ghostweb.com/

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbbjsj/index.htm

Do you just happen to be a spiritualist ghost-hunter, or do you keep track of all the really bad websites?  ???

If any of you get the contract to do Kel-Tec's website, can you hook me up with a deal on an SU-16 CA?  No, forget that.  Put an SU-14 (7.62X51) on their website, so they'll be forced to start making them.    =) =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Do you just happen to be a spiritualist ghost-hunter, or do you keep track of all the really bad websites?  ???

Bad websites. I make fun of people who chase ghosts, play D&D, wear camoflauge to Walmart, own truck nuts & have fish hooks on their hat brim. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.