Author Topic: Who makes the ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, GENUINE Swiss Army Knife?  (Read 5791 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Who makes the ORIGINAL, AUTHENTIC, GENUINE Swiss Army Knife?
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:07:38 AM »
Both Wenger and Victorinox lay claim to be the real deal.

Victorinox says so here: http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/portrait/index.htm
Wenger says so here: http://www.wengerna.com/aboutus.jsp?cat_id=2

Is one better than the other?
I've lost my little daily carry pocket knife, and though I've got a bunch of Kershaws, etc., That lil' red wonder is called into use more by far than anything else I carry.  Gotta get a new one, and that's how this whole question came up.

Anybody got the bottom line?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:21:52 AM »
Victorinox.

Look carefully at Wenger's web page. They mention when the Swiss army began using a multi-tool, but they do not mention actually making it for the army. IIRC Victorinox did that in 1891.

Besides, is there any other knife than "Case" or "Buck"?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:59:08 AM »
You're right, Brad.  
You've got to REALLY read the fine print, since Wenger's corporate tagline is "Maker of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife".

I guess since Spydie pioneered the one-hand opening folder, I haven't paid much attention to Case and Buck.
They were both among my first knives, and both good quality.  Wish they were keeping up.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:05:58 AM »
I quit using my Buck when my father gave me a SOG auto-clip, the the lids was nailed shut when he gave me a SOG NW ranger.

My Buck sits in a tub with the rest of my unused knives. (Victonox, Kershaw, Case, Klien, etc)

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Robert Sears

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:07:17 AM »
Each firm used to produce  one half of the knives for the Swiss Army. Sometime last yr Wenger was bought by Victorinox after W had financial problems. Most people seem to prfer the Vic's. I personally like the Wengers more because I prefer their scissors.

Bob

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:14:35 PM »
I always liked hte VIctorianox better.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »
I have found everything about Victorinox to be better than Wengers.  I won't touch Wengers.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 07:57:48 AM »
Since a friend gave me a Leatherman Micra that is all I've been carrying anymore.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 08:18:35 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Since a friend gave me a Leatherman Micra that is all I've been carrying anymore.
Interesting, grampster!

I went shopping for a replacement to my little pocket Victorinox at WallyWorld yesterday.
I looked at a Leatherman Micra; it looked to be cobbled together and not up to the usual Leatherman quality.  Maybe it's a WallyWorld thing. No scales, just aluminum or thin pot metal.

Anyway, they didn't have a Vic I wanted, so I wound up with a Gerber Shortcut-- neat little pocket-sized multi-tool, better built than the one Micra I fondled. Good, tight lockup and solid action on the scissors.
I've got a Leatherman Squirt P4 that is at least as good quality as the Gerber, so maybe it was just that particular Micra.  

I'd still carry the Micra if I'd gotten it for the price you did, grampster. Wink

Have a great weekend, all--
Fig

Penman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:45:57 PM »
Victorinox is the "Original Swiss Army Knife"
Wenger is the "Genuine Swiss Army Knife"

Victorinox was the first.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »
Victrinox makes a better product than Wenger.

Leatherman tools are better made and more useful than either.  But if you absolutely hafta have a "Swiss Army knife", buy a Victrinox.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
They both made knives for the Swiss Army.

The Vics seem to be more expensive.
The more expensive Vics don't do anything better than the Wengers.
I like the styling of the Vics better, but for the money, I buy Wengers.
I'm not into the gadgetry at the expense of bulk and weight. If it has a can opener, a phillips and straight screwdriver and a blade, its all I ever need.
The best pocketknife I've bought in a very long time was a Wenger I bought at a hardware store for about $12 a few years ago.

An interesting note anout SAKs- though it shouldn't be too suprising, in a pinch they work perfectly for detail stripping a K-31 rifle.

As someone else mentioned, the little micro leathermans are great- I've had one on my keychain for about 5 years now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

client32

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 05:34:39 AM »
I know this one!! I know this one!!
Oh, everyone else got here before me.

IIRC: Victorinox is the orginal, then the Swiss govt. decided they needed two companies to make them, one French one German.  

I don't know much about the quality, but as many of you, I like the styling of the Vics better.  I also like their symbol better.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.