Author Topic: GOP Representatives Slam Holder Probe of Sheriff Arpaio  (Read 1869 times)

Desertdog

• friends
GOP Representatives Slam Holder Probe of Sheriff Arpaio
« on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Where the hell is the brains of the idiots that want to stop a good Peace Officer that is doing a good job.  I think they should all be recalled.

GOP Representatives Slam Holder Probe of Sheriff Arpaio
Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:03 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/arizona_arpaio_probe/2009/03/19/193638.html?s=al&promo_code=7C77-1

Ten Republican congressmen argue that a civil rights investigation of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office could have a chilling effect on other state and local police agencies that seek to crack down on illegal immigration.

The congressmen, responding to a Department of Justice probe into allegations of discrimination and unconstitutional searches and seizures by the sheriff's office, asked Attorney General Eric Holder to voice support for vigorous immigration enforcement and assure police agencies that they won't face similar investigations.

"It is important that state and local law enforcement officers and the public are reassured that the investigation is proceeding in a judicious and fair manner, and not for the purpose of politicizing or chilling immigration efforts," the 10 congressmen said in a letter to Holder on Wednesday.

The Department of Justice didn't provide specifics of the allegations, but Sheriff Joe Arpaio said the probe was prompted by his immigration efforts, including his crime and immigration sweeps of some heavily Latino areas in metropolitan Phoenix. Arpaio denied allegations that his deputies racially profiled people during the sweeps and called the investigation politically motivated.

"I look at this as a political situation. I am not worried," Arpaio said.

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee also plans to hold a hearing next month on the allegations against Arpaio.

Four Democratic members of the committee, including its chairman, Rep. John Conyers Jr. of Michigan, had requested the Justice Department investigation. The 10 Republican congressmen who wrote the letter to Holder are members of the committee.

Hector Yturralde, president of the Hispanic civil rights group Somos America and a critic of Arpaio, said he believes the letter by the 10 Republicans was a political move aimed at helping a fellow member of the GOP and that Arpaio has targeted people simply because of the color of their skin. "If other agencies in the country are doing this, they should be stopped," Yturralde said.

Arpaio has taken some of the most aggressive approach to immigration enforcement, including arresting more than 1,200 illegal immigrants under a state smuggling law and setting up a hot line to report immigration violations.

Alejandro Miyar, a spokeswoman for the Department of Justice, issued the following statement in response to questions about whether Holder would follow the requests of the 10 Republican congressmen: "Career professionals in the Civil Rights Division began looking into this matter last year, and the Department made the decision to open this investigation in the same manner we make every such decision, based on the facts and the law."

Sawdust

• friend
Re: GOP Representatives Slam Holder Probe of Sheriff Arpaio
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Four Democratic members of the committee, including its chairman, Rep. John Conyers Jr. of Michigan, had requested the Justice Department investigation.

I'd like to know who the other three congress critters are...

Edited to add:

(from azcentral.com)

"The other House members calling for the probe are Immigration Subcommittee Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., Immigration Subcommitte Chairwoman; Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., Constitution Subcommittee Chairman, and Bobby Scott, D-Va., Crime Subcommittee Chairman. "

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »
Ten Republican congressmen argue that a civil rights investigation of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office could have a chilling effect on other state and local police agencies that seek to crack down on illegal immigration.

Well - duhhhhhhhhhh!  :rolleyes:

Who'da thunk it? Dems - trying to put a damper on police agencies cracking down on illegal immigration.

What in the aich eee double hockey stick is this world comin' to?

I sincerely hope those 10 aren't holding their breaths waiting for the investigation to be called off.

On 2nd thought I hope they are. The fewere dumb republicans the better. Maybe we can replace 'em with smart republicans (is that even possible?).
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
Well - duhhhhhhhhhh!  :rolleyes:

Who'da thunk it? Dems - trying to put a damper on police agencies cracking down on illegal immigration.

What in the aich eee double hockey stick is this world comin' to?

I sincerely hope those 10 aren't holding their breaths waiting for the investigation to be called off.

On 2nd thought I hope they are. The fewere dumb republicans the better. Maybe we can replace 'em with smart republicans (is that even possible?).

Would you rather they just lie down and take it?
Look, tiny text!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »
Where the hell is the brains of the idiots that want to stop a good Peace Officer that is doing a good job.  I think they should all be recalled.

You have to ask, 'dog? They're our new democrat overlords. They're going to shove love and peace down our throats, dammit!

Feel a Unicorn in your butt yet?
TC
TC
RT Refugee

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »
Not recalled.  Ignored.

And the way things are going that is exactly what is going to happen.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.