Author Topic: Dallas police chief apologizes for conduct of officer who drew gun on NFL player  (Read 5679 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
This is one of those, "Sit down, remove breakables from reach, and get the duct tape ready 'cause your head is going to explode" sorts of stories.

FTR, Dallas's newest police chief has been a good influence on that ate-up organization.  The last guy the mayor had fired ended up in Atlanta and is in the middle of a corruption scandal.

Other than that, I'll let the story speak for itself.

DMN Story:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

Video:
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=345572&shu=1

Blog posting by local journo:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/03/robert-powell-worst-person-in.html

Robert Powell, worst person in the world

Now that Bernie Madoff is in prison, we have a new Worst Person in the World. Make sure you're sitting down when you read this story, and be sure to watch the video component that goes with it.

Here's how the story starts:

As he rushed his family to the hospital, 26-year-old NFL running back Ryan Moats rolled through a red light. A Dallas police officer pulled their SUV over outside the emergency room.

Moats and his wife explained that her mother was dying inside the hospital.

"You really want to go through this right now?" Moats pleaded. "My mother-in-law is dying. Right now!"

The officer, 25-year-old Robert Powell, was unmoved. He spent long minutes writing Moats a ticket and threatened him with arrest.

"I can screw you over," the officer told Moats. "I'd rather not do that."

The scene last week, captured by a dashboard video camera, prompted apologies and the promise of an investigation from Dallas police officials Wednesday.

Mark Davis, a Dallas talk radio host, played excerpts from Moats' pleading with the cop to let him go to his mother-in-law's bedside. It was absolutely, transcendently infuriating! This cop, this sadistic jackass cop, was having fun torturing this poor guy. Even the hospital security guards came up to the officer and said, look, his mother-in-law really is dying, please let him go. Nothing doing. Finally, when Officer Powell had had enough of messing with Moats's head, he turned him loose.

His mother-in-law was already dead.

Flat out, this cop needs to be fired, and he needs to be fired today. Or at least disciplined to the max. This case showcases the difference between power and authority. Police of necessity have extraordinary powers over the rest of us, because we invest them with a great deal of authority, trusting them not to abuse it. It's a social contract between the police and the policed. Most cops have a deep respect for the law. And then there are cops like Robert Powell, who, if his behavior in this case is indicative of his professional temperament, enjoys lording his power over people. To listen to the audio of his encounter with the Moats family is to hear the voice of a penny-ante sadist abusing his discretion.

Cops like Robert Powell undermine the authority of the entire police department by reinforcing fears that police are unaccountable to anybody. As it happens, we have a good police chief in Dallas, and I'm sure he'll come down on Powell like a ton of bricks, even if he doesn't think this incident warrants firing. The worst punishment for Powell is knowing that his jackassery cost a fellow human being the chance to tell a dying family member goodbye. There's no making up for that.

Finally, this makes me think back with appreciation to the Texas state trooper who pulled us over four years ago when my wife was speeding on Hwy 80, about 12 miles from Dallas. We were coming back from a trip to Louisiana, and the entire family was horribly, horribly sick with a stomach virus. The kids had vomited into coolers almost the entire trip, and Julie joined them at the halfway point. It was so bad I tried to check us into a hotel, but all the hotels were full of refugees from Hurricane Rita. So we pressed on. The virus hit me in Shreveport, and I was so sick I couldn't even drive. Poor Julie, who was marginally better, had to take the wheel. On that last leg, we were desperate to get home and get everybody to bed. That's when the state trooper pulled us over.

Julie was green at the gills, and she explained to him the situation. He shone his flashlight in on all the kids and me. We must have looked horrible, and smelled horrible. He let us go with a warning. It was compassionate and just, the kind of action that makes one have more trust in authority, because that particular police officer exercised it so wisely.

UPDATE: The Dallas Morning News now has the entire 17-minute dashcam video on its site. It's really unbelievable. Go to the 13-minute mark; the nurse is down front saying that the mother in law is dying this very minute, that she's taking her last breaths ... and Officer Jackass decides to deliver a civics lecture to Moats.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
I watched the entire unedited video. While the driver's actions are not completely beyond reproach, they do not explain or justify Officer Cartman's, I mean Powell's, actions. His demeanor cries out to be posterchild for the stereotype of the authoritarian police officer who tarnishes the perception of caring, compassionate law enforcement. I particulalrly enjoyed (i.e. barfed through) his continued lecture after the nurse has begged him to allow the driver to attend his "coded three times already" Mother in Law, all in the parking lot outside the hospital entrance

I hope the next headline I read is "Canned by Kunkle".
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Standing Wolf

• friend
Cops like Robert Powell undermine the authority of the entire police department by reinforcing fears that police are unaccountable to anybody.

Government as a whole has been unaccountable a long, long time.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

PTK

• friends
The worst punishment for Powell is knowing that his jackassery cost a fellow human being the chance to tell a dying family member goodbye.

I entirely doubt he cares in the slightest.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
If she'd "coded three times already" I'd just add that the family "getting there in time" was largely a technicality for thier well being. Although that is neither here nor there in terms of the officer's actions.

To be fair, any experienced LEO has had countless encounters where low-life dirtballs pull every excuse in the book to shy away from law enforcement. And the experienced skell will do most anything to get to the hospital or into an ambulance to delay or avoid arrest. And seeing these scams over, and over, and over would make anyone cynical and hard-hearted. And that's when you get awful stories like this the one time the cop comes into contact with law-abiding people.

At the beginning, I think it was reasonable that for all that cop knew, everyone in the car had multiple warrants, etc. and the "dying mother" thing was a sham.

When the nurses intervened to corroborate, he was definitely across the line though.  :mad:
I promise not to duck.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Disgusting.

What's even worse is that Dallas has a central computer system that shows officers who has and who doesn't have insurance.
He could have just looked it up in his system.  That makes it even MORE obvious he was just being a twerp.

I know we don't settle for LEO bashing here, but dangit, I think the automatic honor we give LEO's give the worst of them the idea they can be this way.

This is why I don't automatically give them a pass; I judge LEO's individually, much like I'd judge anyone else.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
  Will I still need to provide proof of insurance cards?

While the objective of this program is to provide accurate and timely proof of insurance via an electronic system, it is still required by law (§ 601.053 of the Texas Transportation Code) to make available current effective paper proof of insurance.

If a policyholder is unable to provide a proof of insurance card during a traffic stop, can this program help prevent them from getting a ticket?

The law requires “the motorist or operator of a vehicle to provide evidence of financial responsibility,” and the Texas FRVP does not alter this requirement. As with the current system, the individual law enforcement officer will determine if the motorist should be ticketed for compliance issues.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/auto/frvp_agent.html#FAQ12
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I don't see any mention of the cop pulling a gun on the player. Where did that happen in the tape?

I also note how the chief was ashamed enough of his officer that he put him on "paid administrative leave."

Hey, great. A paid vacation. I wonder if my employer will do that for me as a punishment?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:42:56 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
he drew on the wife when she got out and started walking away  he let her and the other lady go anyway.
sad story i suspect the chief might have to eat any punitive action he might have planned.  do cops have a union down there?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Of course the police have a union down there. A pretty powerful one, from what I understand.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
this cop needs to be fired

This cops needs to be criminally prosecuted and sued until the sky turns legal pad yellow over Dallas.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

• friends
what charge could you pursue?

Regolith

• friend

From the sounds of it, something like negligent homicide.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Seenterman

• friend
From the sounds of it, something like negligent homicide.

No, the NFL player had nothing to do with his M.I.L. passing away, nothing he could have done. Can't charge the officer with a bogus charge. This doesn't mean he's not a scumbag. I just wish more officers or the cheif would come out and just say "Yea Officer Powell is a scumbag, He doesnt represent the majority of our officers attitude, and he's being put on desk duty" Really this guy looks and sounds like her has some narcissistic superiority complex, doesnt police depts do psych testing?

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish

I loathe badge-heavy pr*cks.

This doesn't mean he's not a scumbag. I just wish more officers or the cheif would come out and just say "Yea Officer Powell is a scumbag, He doesnt represent the majority of our officers attitude, and he's being put on desk duty" Really this guy looks and sounds like her has some narcissistic superiority complex, doesnt police depts do psych testing?

I do too. Fat chance, though.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Antibubba

• friend
jfruser, keep us posted on this.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com

Criminal confinement while Armed with a Deadly Weapon.

Pointing a Firearm (what I gather now there is some dispute whether he pointed the pistol).

Intimidation with a Deadly Weapon.

Intimidation.

Violation of Civil Rights (state and federal).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Sawdust

• friend

Pointing a Firearm (what I gather now there is some dispute whether he pointed the pistol).

Intimidation.

Aggravated General Asshattery.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
No updates, yet.

DPD has historically had difficulty dealing with bad apples.

It is very common to see:
1. Outrageous/illegal/immoral/stupid behavior by DPD officer
2. Big stink in media & gov't
3. Officer assigned to desk job
4. If it is serious enough, gets handed walking papers some months/years after incident
5. Several months after dismissal, officer goes to one of the city boards to get reinstated & many times succeeds
6. Officer reinstated....and given back pay for the several months of unemployment
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
On another forum there are actually a number of cops supporting this guy.

At least the chief gets it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

• friends

Intimidation.

who did he confine?  he wrote a ticket  the others went in the hospital

did he point the gun?or not?  if he did is that outside sop for a traffic stop where one or more of the occupants jump outa the car and try to walk away?
the next two are almost paulian in composition.

which civil rights were violated?

was the cop stupid? yea  but folks are getting a but silly over it
the next two
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:42:02 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
On another forum there are actually a number of cops supporting this guy.

At least the chief gets it.

;/ Which forum?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
its on FOX right now, once he realized the ladies parent was dying, he should have simply apologized.
jeepers, usually I'm more than willing to cut LE some slack, they deal with liars and worse all day long.
sometimes though, an example needs to be set.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
I was on the officer's side up until hospital personnel came out and verified the story. That's when the officer should have allowed him to go inside & then addressed the issue later. The officer's actions at that point were just to stroke his Buford T. Justice-sized attitude.

Not sure I'd fire the guy....but I'd have him go back through the police academy again...with special interest on lethal force decisions and dealing with the public.....

This cops needs to be criminally prosecuted and sued until the sky turns legal pad yellow over Dallas.

I think the charge you're looking for is "Official Oppression".  That's when an agent of government uses their position to oppress and intimidate others. And it holds some heavy penalties in Texas....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Azrael256

• friend
Aggravated General Asshattery.

He's definitely guilty of that.  In the first degeee.

Actual charges?  Not really.  Official Oppression is what usually covers unlawful detainment, but he wasn't detaining anyone in a clearly unlawful manner.  It would be quite a stretch.  A seventeen minute traffic stop just doesn't cut it.

Legal issues aside, I'd can the idiot right away.  I would not want one of my officers acting this way.  It speaks to character issues that are incompatible with law enforcement.