Author Topic: Older PCs, Windows XP, virus protection  (Read 3503 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Older PCs, Windows XP, virus protection
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
If my Dad's computer can be upgraded to Windows XP, can he share my copy, or will Bill Gates do bad things to me?  Is it worth the hassle to move up from an older version of Windows? 

Saturday morning, I'm going to go pick up the mower my Dad just fixed for me, and plus I get an oil change on the truck.

In return, I'd like to help him with his computer(s).  He is currently using an ancient Gateway, but someone gave him another computer, and I'd like to set that one up for him.  Don't know nothin' about it, but I presume it is a PC and probably newer than the Gateway. 

He also will need virus and spyware protection.  Can anyone recommend some programs that will not be too demanding on a crappy old machine? 

Regretfully, I won't know any specifics about his computers, until I look at them Saturday.

Thanks,
el Josho
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Older PCs, Windows XP, virus protection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
Depends.  If you just do a pirate install using your CD and key, the Genuine Windows Validation process will pick it up when you try to install Windows updates.  Not good.
If there is a valid Certificate of Authenticity for Windows XP stuck to the side of new computer's case, you can reinstall a copy of XP using that.  However, that assumes you have the proper media.  The COA should say whether it's a retail or an OEM version.  You must use a copy of the respective retail or OEM version installation media for a successful install.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brasshammer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
As far as virus protection, I have been extremely happy with AVG. It has a small footprint and doesn't wind up clogging up your system like some of the better known programs.

www.avg.com

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:07 PM »
Normally I would agree, bh, but the latest version of AVG is problematical.  Efficacy is down, resource use up.
Try Avira.  They have a free-for-personal-use version.  It was just rated in the top three for effectiveness and ease of use by one of the main antivirus standards organizations.  AVG didn't do so well this time around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Old hardware and users who are just going to web surf, check email, and a little word processing cries out for xubuntu.

Maybe damnsmalllinux.com if you are a little linux-savvy, as it is even easier on resources.

Set it up and the hardware will usually break before the OS will.

If you get cross-wise with Bill, you are going to have problems updating the OS.

You might be able to get a student XP license for yourself and give your dad the old license.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
You can also run TinyXP, which is much more efficient on dated hardware.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »
If my Dad's computer can be upgraded to Windows XP

If you Dad's computer came with some version of RedmondOS prior to XP, it's old enough that running XP on it would be a painful experience.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
Tiny XP sounds interesting, but having googled it, I come back with a web site that tells me it is illegal.   :O  So you can't update that, either?  Or do you need to?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:18:28 AM »
TinyXP has garnered that reputation, rightfully or wrongfully.  If you're worried, you can also buy the XPLite program and use it to pare down a legal copy of XP Pro.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:29:07 AM »
I reckon I'll leave the OS alone. 

But I still would like recommendations on virus or spyware protection that doesn't have too big a footprint. 

Thanks, folks.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
If I get TinyXP, and I have a Microsoft sticker on my laptop that says XP - Home Edition, would it still be illegal?  And if so, what would happen (from an illegal standpoint, that is)?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »
If I get TinyXP, and I have a Microsoft sticker on my laptop that says XP - Home Edition, would it still be illegal?  And if so, what would happen (from an illegal standpoint, that is)?

It's iffy, from what I've seen of it.  You'd need a lawyer who specializes in these cases to tell you for sure.

You'll also be unable to download and install any legitimate updates to the OS, which includes security updates, so you'll be running a less secure system.

The chance of being caught, however, is pretty damn small.  I'm not sure what penalties you could incur if you DO get caught, though.  I've heard of someone getting jail time for inadvertently installing copies of MS software on multiple machines that weren't licensed for it, but they were doing it in a high school library.  If it's just for home use and you already own a legal copy, I don't think they'd press too hard if you did get caught, but you never know. They may decide to make you into an example, or they may ignore it entirely.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
Repeat after me:

Kubuntu

Kubunut

Kubuntu

Just burn a  live cd and try it out, you don't need to install it unless you want to (and it gets much faster).
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
For those suggesting ubuntu or Tiny XP, I'm afraid I may have misled you.  My talk of changing an older machine to XP was more an indication of my ignorance than of my leet computer skills. 

As neither I nor my father are geeks, and in fact we're both computer illiterates, would we not be wise to stick with the usual flavors? 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
For those suggesting ubuntu or Tiny XP, I'm afraid I may have misled you.  My talk of changing an older machine to XP was more an indication of my ignorance than of my leet computer skills. 

As neither I nor my father are geeks, and in fact we're both computer illiterates, would we not be wise to stick with the usual flavors? 

Not necessarily.  Recent linux distros have better hardware support than Windows, especially old install disks*.  Things like updates, wireless, etc. are easier in ubuntu than under the XP utilities.

Truly, ununtu has made trying linux an easy, low-risk endeavor.  Wihtout licensing headaches.

Really, do download and burn a live CD and see if it runs your dad's hardware.  If it does, right off the bat, you will likely meet with an easy success.  If not, all is not lost, but might require more geek-fu than you are willing to master.

Either way, good luck.

* I have one old XP pro install disk that refuses to recognize partitions larger than 80GB.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Linux has always been more user-friendly than windows.

In the past, it was much more picky about who it considered a "user", but it's starting to lighten up.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Yeah, it's only got about 10 years to go before it's an Everyman's plug-and-play system like Windows...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:21:11 PM by Gewehr98 »

bmitchell

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »
Who wouldn't want Tron running their machine?

I used to run Knoppix from a CD exclusively because my Windows installs were constantly crashing.
Not confusing at all.  Very simple and fast for most applications.

Ben

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
I still use Knoppix as a crash/infection rescue disk for family, friends, and clients who do dumb things.

On this particular workstation, I've got hard drive cartridges to swap OS flavors.

I've worked with Knoppix, Debian, Mandrake/Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora, PC Linux, FermiLinux, Debian, and SUSE.

SUSE, for now, is my favorite.

However, I'm posting this via a Windows 7 Beta installation on yet another hard drive cartridge.

Otherwise, I normally revert back to WinXP Pro SP3.  It's really the least hassle.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Yeah, it's only got about 10 years to go before it's an Everyman's plug-and-play system like Windows...

I dunno about that.  I did a default install of the latest version of Ubuntu on an older laptop (old enough to not have built-in wireless).  Without installing any additional drivers or software, it recognized the Linksys wireless card and I was able to configure it and connect to my wireless network.  I was also able to plug my Canon scanner in and immediately begin scanning stuff.  I plugged my Canon Pixma4300 printer into the other USB port and was able to select the driver and start printing.

Windows XP wouldn't do any of that (I know because I recently rebuild my XP install on a newer laptop and was forced to manually load drivers for the scanner and printer, no need to try the wireless card). 

The only factor that keeps Linux (ubuntu) from being more friendly than Windows is the lack of Microsoft Office and a default window manager that looks different than Windows.  The former is probably always going to be the case, the latter is probably fixable with a new window manager. 

And yes, I too am posting this from Windows, but I have about half a dozen ssh windows open to various Linux and Solaris boxes around the country.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »
Prior to Service Pack 2, Windows XP was actually lighter on resources than Windows 2000.  As long as all appropriate drivers were loaded and the video board was a DX9 compatible board.

I used to have a little Celeron 500mhz workstation.  Cute little guy.  Surprisingly efficient.  Came with 2K, but I found XP actually ran faster on it even when only equipped with 128MB RAM.  

If you can scrounge up a used and transferrable XP copy, go for it.  I'd say that the early P3-era and newer computers are good candidates for an upgrade from 2K to XP.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Impure Client

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
Do we all know there is a way around the Genuine Windows Validation and are not wanting
to say it in here or am I the minority?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »
We will not say it here.

Get my drift?

APS does not promote or otherwise promulgate illegal activities, period.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
Do we all know there is a way around the Genuine Windows Validation and are not wanting
to say it in here or am I the minority?

What G98 wrote.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 07:45:29 PM »
We will not say it here.

Get my drift?

APS does not promote or otherwise promulgate illegal activities, period.

Is bypassing the validation in and of itself illegal? I own a completely legal WinXP CD (MS seal and hologram and all) which has problems validating me, and I use a program that helps me still use it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner