Author Topic: Ok, I got the turkey fryer apparatus as a B-day present...  (Read 7356 times)

Iain

• friend
Ok, I got the turkey fryer apparatus as a B-day present...
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 09:18:59 AM »
Afraid I don't have many details, although I believe the heinous deed is performed to the calzone variety of pizza (the folded over ones)
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
Don't forget the fried twinkies
And fried ice cream...

I believe the heinous deed is performed to the calzone variety of pizza (the folded over ones)
Are they dipping them in batter or anything first? I feel an artery clog coming along...  shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 09:37:26 AM »
Don't think they do. Think the whole thing is already cooked, it's just deep fried at the end for that authentic Scottish experience.

I shouldn't mock the Scots on these grounds though. Back when I was in university there were two chip shops in the town owned by the same people. One was in the centre and used vegetable oil, the other was just out of the centre and used some kind of animal fat apparently. Never went back to the central one after discovering the lardy one.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »
So, you're telling us that English "cuisine" has finally progressed past the stage where everything is boiled to a grey mush? Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 04:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
So, you're telling us that English "cuisine" has finally progressed past the stage where everything is boiled to a grey mush? Smiley
Apparently everything is deep fried to a golden brown crisp.  They've evolved into Southern US Rednecks. Cheesy

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 06:23:14 PM »
Got the bird thawed, and I'm getting ready to do the marinade injection.  Then I'll let it sit inside saran wrap in the fridge 'till Friday morning.  (We're going to the base chow hall Thursday, it's the last time I can have the wing commander, ops group commander, and command chief serve my wife and stepsons grub before I retire)  But Friday, the dogs will be staying inside, away from the hot oil bubbling in the driveway, and I will be dressed like a HazMat team member.  

I'm looking at the injector needle, and I haven't seen anything this wicked looking since I last watched Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man.  shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 06:50:22 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
But Friday, the dogs will be staying inside, away from the hot oil bubbling in the driveway, and I will be dressed like a HazMat team member.
lmao

Imagine a giant bunsen burner.  It will get exciting real quick if you spill some of that oil out.  A friend of mine did that when I was over at his place one year for a holiday party/turkey dinner.  It eliminated some body hair, but other than that no one got hurt.  You definitely want to keep the dogs, kids, and any drunk wobbly people away.  We used the injection marinade and the turkey turned out great.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 02:24:54 AM »
One of these days I'm gonna try ME a deep fried turkey. Last year I did it on the grill with natural charcoal. That was pretty good too. This year we're going to go "conventional" cause the FIL is coming over and he's a fussy old bugger....

Enjoy ALL!! And Happy Thanks giving!!!

PS - It's snowing here... :barf:

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 02:26:21 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
One of these days I'm gonna try ME a deep fried turkey.
If you ever find yourself in Northern Va, I'll fry a turkey and make some biscuits for you. Cheesy

Chris

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 03:08:01 AM »
280plus wrote:
Apparently the big thing in Scotland now is deep fried pizza.

I say we charter a plane and go try this.

I concur.

Iain, we must have details.

Chris
I'm there. Will my having a distinctively English last name get me in trouble with Scots who don't know the war is over? My wife's maiden name starts with a Mc, maybe we should just get tickets under her former last name Cheesy

Quote from: mtnbkr
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Apparently everything is deep fried to a golden brown crisp.  They've evolved into Southern US Rednecks. Cheesy

Actually it's the other way around. Southern rednecks evolved from the Scots - the St. Andrew's cross on the confederate battle flag was deliberately chosen as a reminder of Scots heritage.

Chris
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2005, 06:23:22 AM »
Well, we're not having turkey this year, and we're not frying it. We're having leg of lamb.

YUM!

Made pies last night.

Hey Chris, I got a KILLER mincemeat recipe from my Aunt that I know you and Michelle will love. It's labor intensive, but we'll have to make it. Trust me, the effort is worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2005, 06:59:52 AM »
If you ever find yourself in Northern Va, I'll fry a turkey and make some biscuits for you.
I'm checking the bus schedules now...  Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2005, 12:54:38 AM »

one would think that "for the children" our government might do something about these assualt cookery devices
http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html

Turkey Fryers

A longtime food favorite in the southern United States, the delicious deep-fried turkey has quickly grown in popularity thanks to celebrity chefs such as Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse. While some people rave about this tasty creation, Underwriters Laboratories Inc.'s (UL) safety experts are concerned that backyard chefs may be sacrificing safety for good taste.

"We're worried by the increasing reports of fires related with turkey fryer use," says John Drengenberg, UL consumer affairs manager. "Based on our test findings, the fryers used to produce those great-tasting birds are not worth the risks. And, as a result of these tests, UL has decided not to certify any turkey fryers with our trusted UL Mark."

Here's why using a deep-fryer can be dangerous:
Many units easily tip over, spilling the hot oil within the cooking pot.
If the cooking pot is overfilled with oil, the oil may spill out of the unit when the turkey is placed into the cooking pot. Oil may hit the burner/flames causing a fire to engulf the entire unit.
Partially frozen turkeys placed into the fryer can cause a spillover effect. This too, may result in an extensive fire.
With no thermostat controls, the units also have the potential to overheat the oil to the point of combustion.
The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles get dangerously hot, posing severe burn hazards.

If you absolutely must use a turkey fryer, here are some tips for safer use:
Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other material that can burn.
Never use turkey fryers on wooden decks or in garages.
Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you don't watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
Never let children or pets near the fryer when in use. Even after use, never allow children or pets near the turkey fryer. The oil inside the cooking pot can remain dangerously hot, hours after use.
To avoid oil spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles. If possible, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from oil splatter.
Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water don't mix, and water causes oil to spill over, causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
The National Turkey Federation recommends refrigerator thawing and to allow approximately 24 hours for every five pounds of bird thawed in the refrigerator.
Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire. Remember to use your best judgement when attempting to fight a fire. If the fire is manageable, use an all-purpose fire extinguisher. If the fire increases, immediately call 9-1-1 for help.
Even after use, never allow children or pets near the turkey fryer. The oil inside the cooking pots remains dangerously hot, hours after use.
UL is providing video footage/still images of turkey fryers under test. The following file is in MPEG format, and is approxomately 13Mb in size.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2005, 05:24:57 PM »
So, in essence, Harold is telling me it's dangerous to dunk a 15-pound turkey in 325-degree peanut oil.

Yup.  Roger on that one.

My 22 year-old stepson told me that.  He worked at KFC for long enough to figure out that hot cooking oil is indeed dangerous to work around.

Anybody noticed in the movie that they overfilled the fryer with oil, causing the turkey to displace the excess oil out of the fryer?  Then they inserted a partially thawed turkey, another no-no.  Stack the deck much?

Then again, 250,000 pounds of aluminum and JP-8 moving through the air at 500 knots, 2,500 feet altitude, at night is somewhat dangerous.  I've been doing it for darned near 20 years, and had a couple near-hits that should've sent me on to the next world.  I'm only retiring from it because I'm still young enough to start a second career.  My risk management skills really suck.  And I'm the squadron flight safety officer, go figure!  Wink

Pictures of the turkey frying coming tomorrow.  No fatalities, unfortunately.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 06:21:53 PM »
Anybody noticed in the movie that they overfilled the fryer with oil, causing the turkey to displace the excess oil out of the fryer?  Then they inserted a partially thawed turkey, another no-no.  Stack the deck much?
I'm convinced that frying turkeys sends the nanny statists into a tizzy given the number of warnings about the danger of the activity.  So much so that they have to stage a disasterous attempt.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 08:21:48 PM »
My cousin did a turkey at my grandmother's house a couple of years back. Funniest damn disaster I've ever seen, at least he didn't burn the house down. Especially pay attention to the coefficient of thermal expansion of the peanut oil.

Oh yeah, best turkey I've ever eaten as well.

Everything tastes good deep fried- even vegetables (sometimes, especially if you wrap them in bacon)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2005, 03:07:51 PM »
It came out delicious.  Nobody got hurt, either.  

Injecting the bird:

Bird all juiced up, ready to cook:

The setup on the driveway:

Oil goes in here:

3 gallons of peanut oil heating up:

Passing through 100 degrees:

Passing through 200 degrees:

350 degrees, birdy dunk time!

Ever so slowly, watch the sizzle...

All the way into the pot!

Let 'er rip for 40 minutes, open up the burner to keep 300 degrees on the dial:

Cooling off on the tailgate before heading to the dining room:

Mmmm, good!  Chow time!  

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2005, 05:46:53 AM »
Yum.  No more pics?  I guess once the slicing began a fork replaced the camera?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2005, 07:28:35 AM »
Where's all the conflagration?

Don't forget that setup makes a mighty fine lobster and crab boiling pot too!!

(speaking of yummy)

Cheesy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2005, 12:23:23 PM »
The camera was quickly discarded for knives and forks.

Since I now have 3 gallons of slightly used peanut oil, I've got another turkey, a couple whole chickens, and who knows what else in the freezer that will get the hot oil treatment.  Cheesy