Author Topic: Help me buy a router  (Read 3892 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Help me buy a router
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:43:55 PM »
Any woodworkers out there?  I need a router, but I dont have a clue where to start.

I need it to build some speaker cabinets.  I need to be able to cut clean, neat circular holes up to about 12 inches diameter.  Then I need to put rabbets on the interior edges of those holes.  Easy work if you have a router, virtually impossible without a router.  (Or is it?)

I'm on a tight budget, and I don't want to pay a lot for a tool I wil only use lightly and occasionally.  Where should I go to buy one, what features should I look for, and how much should it cost?

Or should I just save my money and rent one whenever I need it?

Help me buy a router
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:25:00 AM »
I do have a handheld router about. I'll lurk the thread and if what is right for you turns out to be the same dealy, we could work something out.

TarpleyG

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 03:25:24 AM »
I have this one or one very similar.  Porter-Cable power tools are among the best IMO--wish I had $$$ for more of them.

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2813

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Help me buy a router
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:10:31 AM »
A saber saw with a compass attachment could do it as well.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Smith

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 04:18:50 AM »
Cisco.

Chris

Help me buy a router
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 05:31:09 AM »
Cisco
I knew that someone wouldn't be able to resist.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help me buy a router
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 06:15:14 AM »
Quote from: Smith
Cisco.
I was trying hard to resist.  Glad Smith took the plunge.  

When I saw the title, I started mentally reviewing "what does he need to know to hook this up, and where's sm when we NEED him?" hahaha

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:28:35 AM »

wireless router
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:57:15 AM »
Ooops, sorry.  Not that kind of router...

What did carpenters use before electricity?  Is there some sort of hand-powered tool that would get the job done for me?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Help me buy a router
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:15:55 AM »
Before electricity

This is off the top of my head

Rabbits

Saw down both sides at the width you want and to the depth you want, remove wood with a chisel

Circle.

Use compass to draw, drill hole, cut out with couping saw
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:20:51 AM »
I was gonna say D-Link...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help me buy a router
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:26:35 AM »
Phantom Warrior--

W  U   S   S   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linksys or Belkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K Wink
Fig

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 12:47:17 PM »
you can compass cut the hole with a rotozip tool

or you can jigsaw it out

the rabbit can be ground out with a rotary wrasp in a drill press
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help me buy a router
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 12:49:49 PM »
A dremel is a gunner's best friend!

crt360

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »
I think the Porter-Cable would be a good choice.  I've got an old DeWalt plunge router that has been pretty good.  Bosch and Makita also make some nice routers.  The Rotozip might work, but I don't know much about them.  There are probably plenty of people out there that buy a router for one project and then don't use it again.  I'd check out used ones and maybe even some pawnshops if I only needed one for occasional small jobs.
For entertainment purposes only.

beaverboard

Help me buy a router
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 04:23:37 PM »
Personnally I like Bosch routers, but there pretty pricey.   What you really need is a friend with a router:lol:.  The type of routing that you are describing is really pretty simple, and about any router with an adjustable depth setting will work, or in other words Harbor Frieght may be your friend.
Question for you though, why do you need to rabbet the edge of the hole?  I ask because most speakers are designed to flush mount, and then have a cover snapped to them.  Another option would be to cut different sized holes in two different boards and then laminate them together.  It will leave you with the illusion of rabbeting.  
Holes can easily be laid out with a nail, a piece of string, and a pencil.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 06:52:42 PM »
I had a friend with a router.  But then we got into a little bit of a "discussion" over some wine.  He said that the only reason anyone would join  the militar was because they were too stupid to know about financial aid.  I had to "correct" his misguided notions of our service men.  Consequently, I'm no longer in much of a position to borrow his tools.

Anyway...  I don't really NEED the router.  I've made do with a coping saw in the past.  It works, but it doesn't give the kind of neat, clean, "professional" looking results I want.

I have a dremel, and I think there's some sort of doohickey that turns it into a half-assed, wimpy router.  That might work, if I'm really patient.  Probably cheaper.

Is there any way to get a router for $50 or so?  I'm not looking for the world's bestest, newest, coolest tool here.  I just want something that won't break on me.

kudu

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 10:57:25 AM »
Got any Habor Freight Tool stores near you, they have some cheap routers available.  They won't last like a good one, but for the occasional use should be OK.

crt360

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 01:57:24 PM »
Amazon has a 1 HP fixed-base Makita for $88 and two B&D plunge routers - 1 1/4 HP for $59 and 2 HP for $79.  It's not real powerful, but I think the Makita is a solid little unit that will do all you need and more.  The B&D's are cheaper, supposedly have a little more power and are plungers, but I've personally never used one and don't care much for the B&D power tools I've owned in the past.  The few reviews they have are very positive, but a $59 plunge router has got to have some cheapness built in somewhere.  I'd give a hard look at the Makita.  Here's a place that has factory reconditioned ones for under $75:  http://www.toolsforless.com/product/2298.html

Unisaw

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 05:12:09 PM »
See if you can rent a router at a Home Depot.  Buying a cheap router doesn't make sense: if you get more serious about woodworking, you will be disappointed in the quality of your investment.  If you never use it again, you still have money tied up in it.

If you decide to buy a quality router, the Porter-Cable 895 PK combination kit is good.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Capteddie

Help me buy a router
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 11:14:21 PM »
I've used the "doohickey" that came with my dremmel.  It works pretty well if the material is thin, used it on 1/4" plywood. Never used it on anything thicker, but it gives a nice clean cut on the thin stuff.

matis

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 06:39:36 AM »
Shoot!

I thought you meant a wireless router -- for a computer.

(I did make a set of bookends in shop class, though.)   Cheesy

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 10:36:10 PM »
Heh...

I decided to save my money and just cut the holes with a coping saw.  I brought the stuff over to my Dad's for thanksgiving.  He likes working with his hads and I figured it would be a good way to spend some time together.

The work was frustrating and time consuming, but we both had a good time talking and joking and catching up.  I'm glad we did it.

But after we were done he said to me, "That would have been a lot easier if we has used a router."

Me:  "I know.  I really wanted to use a router for this job, but there just wasn't any easy way to get my hands on one."

Dad:  "Really?  I have a router.  We should have used it."

Me:  "WHAT!!!  Why didn't you say so?!"

Dad:  "Because you said you wanted to use the coping saw.  If you were looking for a router you should have called me."

All these years, and I still haven't learned.  Oh well, the time we spent together was fun, even if my speakers do look like crap.  Cheesy

crt360

• friend
Help me buy a router
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 11:45:35 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Dad:  "Really?  I have a router.  We should have used it."
Doh!

Glad you saved some money and everything worked out well.