Author Topic: I can haz Firefly nao?  (Read 13762 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: I can haz Firefly nao?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
Obviously any movie critique is subjective to a point. I'm not sure what you mean by "greater than etc" but if you enjoy it, good for you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
You cans love 4 da fireflies? Where r the Cowboy BeBop fans?
*looks around cautiously*

*slowly raises hand*
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
This is an Americanized,live action version of said cartoon series.

And The Hunt for Red October is pretty much the same thing as Titanic.

Firefly has practically nothing to do with Cowboy Bebop. Nothing. If you think so, you either didn't understand one of them, or you didn't watch either of them.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:16 PM »
I have to lay into 2001, too.

I have never seen the complete movie, as I fell asleep the three times I tried to watch it.

ACC must have been high on something when he wrote it.

BTW, I have read 2001 & 2010.  The book was better than the movie, but even knowing what was to occur in the movie was not enough to keep my interest.

I will say that the adaptation is not Battlefield Earth bad, as adaptations go.

But, it doesn't hold a candle, badness-wise, to Liquid Sky, which is concentrated movie badness somehow stuck on to analog or digital media.

I have not seen Zardoz, but I would bet dollars to donuts that 4/5 APS'ers that watched both would come away with the opinion that Liquid Sky was worse.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 04:06:50 PM »
That's true. The books are usually better than their big screen adaptations.

I found 2010 lacking compared to 2001, but I read the book beforehand, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
Quote from: AZredhawk44
Buckaroo Bonzai and Remo Williams, when played back to back in the same VHS player, will make it commit suicide by strangling itself on the tape.

WHAT!!!  Buckaroo Banzai is one of the greatest (and funniest) sci-fi movies ever!!! 

Truthfully though, to get the full joke you have to get the director's cut DVD.  The entire movie is presented as a historical docudrama; the director thanks the Banzai Institute for giving him full access to Dr. Banzai's personal papers and documents.  The DVD also has scenes that were cut from the theater release that fill in a lot of information.   The only movie I can think of that compares is Fifth Element.

Remo Williams?  Eh.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
*looks around cautiously*

*slowly raises hand*

(edited out of shame)
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
I watch Bebop in my Spike Spiegel costume, except that it's a Wolf Spike Spiegel costume, because I think the nature of the wolf better embodies the spirit of the character and his true inner nature, and the suit saved me a lot of money, the grey fur material at Jo-Ann fabrics is expensive...

Oh no... Said too much. I've broken the envelope.  :|

Is this thread going to devolve into furries as well? >.<
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
Why's it always gotta be the furrys with you AJ?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »
Why's it always gotta be the furrys with you AJ?

:lol:

It's the Scottish ancestry, I think. I don't need a damn suit. I can put on swim-trunks and go hit on cute Asian cat-grrls as-is.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »
I'm a Cowboy Bebop fan, as well as Firefly and I'm with zahc.  You either didn't watch both, or missed something. 

Which plot holes are you referencing again?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »
Somehow, I knew the cute Asian furry was going to be brought into this.   :laugh:

"They're not all bad." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

taurusowner

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
What's the deal with the space ships and energy weapons combined with WWII American GI helmets and HK rifles?  Were they operating the prop department out of someone's basement?

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
What's the deal with the space ships and energy weapons combined with WWII American GI helmets and HK rifles?  Were they operating the prop department out of someone's basement?
Looking at the way Fox treated the series, my guess would be that's actually not far from the truth.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
OK...Fine!

You cans love 4 da fireflies? Where r the Cowboy BeBop fans?

This is an Americanized,live action version of said cartoon series.

No, really, not kidding.

I'm a proud BeBop fan and Firefly fan.....and the two are not as much alike as you seem to think.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
I was going to watch 2001 someday...until now. I think I'll pass on that as well as the red-diaper man movie (I'm not going to mention the name  :lol:).

I did see Lifeforce, a strange take on the vampire mythology with a cool space ship, but a bit weird. I just chalked it up to being British.  =)

I saw Liquid Sky a long time ago and have thankfully forgotten 99.9% of it.

Buckaroo Bonzai had some funny silliness.

I'll be watching Firefly/Serenity (again!!!) starting tonight.  =)

I don't dress up to watch TV, but I do use bad scenes/characters for dry-fire practice.   =D
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
Look, I kinda like 2001.  It's interesting.  It's funny.  At points, it's extremely creepy and disturbing, but kind of in a good way (I don't usually like scary movies).  Like I said, I'll probably watch it a few more times, assuming an average life span, with access to clasic film.

But it's also fricking stupid.  I've read the books.  I understand what's supposed to be going on.  And the movie is a fairly imaginative adaptation.  But that doesn't excuse the film-maker from making some effort - some tiny exertion - to provide a lucid storyline. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
Well, whatever you do, Fistful, for Gawd's sake don't watch A Clockwork Orange.

You'll be bitching about that for months...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
All I remember from my failed attempt to watch 2001 is the approximately hour and twenty minute scene with nothing but the guy running around a circle track, with scenes of the glowy red eye interspersed. Most appallingly boring thing I've ever been subjected to, and sooooooooooo long.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »

I don't dress up to watch TV, but I do use bad scenes/characters for dry-fire practice.   =D

Darn and you just ruined a dream. :angel:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 09:05:24 PM »

Fox wanted Firefly dead, so probably.

Thing is, having between to third world uh, "worker's paradises" I didn't think it was very odd.  I've seen "strategic allies" (ie, not terrorist groups, because they're on our side) with WWI firearms, South American web gear (knockoff of Korean era US issue), etc mixed with modern kit (satellite phones, GPS, etc).   Buddies of mine that did tours in Afghanistan told me they are finding (in regular use) Martini-Henry rifles from circa 1870's manufacture. 

I've heard a lot of folks go on about that, complaining about the mix of modern tech and retro tech.  I'm guessing the folks that point it out don't regularly travel to third world countries and thus don't know that's how it actually works for the majority of the world's population.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Ladysmith, 2001 is worth seeing, if only to be blown away that they did THAT in nineteen frickin' sixty-eight!

The space SFX and the quasi-realistic space hardware is better looking than almost the whole 30 years of space scenes in movies to come after it combined. And I include Star Wars and Star Trek in that. Only the Valley Forge of "Silent Running" re-used in the original and re-imaged Battle Star Galactica fleets, the long space-frame trusswork ship with the geodesic Agro-Domes, was a better looking realistic piece of space-hardware IMO. But unfortunately the rest of Silent Running's production values fell way short.

(Hint, uh yeah, the last plants and wildlife left in the entire solar system need sunlight, duh...)

And (at risk of spoilers) one of the points of 2001 and it's bare minimum of dialog was to make HAL, the Discovery's computer, more human and likable than either Dave Bowman or Frank Poole. A five-man crew several months into a year plus long mission to Jupiter, three of them in frozen hibernation they probably would talk about as much, or little.

And in 2001 you get a deeper sense of the cold lonely silent isolation of space than any other movie has ever given. IMO, only the opening landing scenes of "Alien" where the Nostromo lands on LV472 and finds the derelict Alien ship full of eggs come close.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:25:19 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »

Does that mean you watch TV naked?   :O  :O
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
Does that mean you watch TV naked?   :O  :O

Doesn't everybody?

:lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
2001 also gives a great sense of how boring space is, by being intensely boring. :P