Author Topic: How do you keep the wife from washing her cell phone?  (Read 19994 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How do you keep the wife from washing her cell phone?
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »
Third time, second phone.  Luckily, they've been fairly cheap phones, and the first one lived through the first washing.  And they will continue to be cheap phones. 

I suggested that she make a habit of charging her phone every night, on the theory that she would be less likely to leave it in her pocket and throw it down the laundry chute.  This has clearly failed.

The only other thing I can think of is to tie it off to her purse(s).  Or get her one of those little pelican water-proof cases.

I've seen those prepaid phones they sell at Target.  Would it be cheaper to just buy one of those every time she does this?   ;/

Between the two of us, you'd think I would be the one to wash my phone.  I carry it in my pocket at all times.  Hers lives in the purse, mostly. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: How do you keep the wife from washing her cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
Either $5 / month insurance, or a Motorola i580.  :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »

I was looking for the picture of the guy with the rubber bands holding the phone to his head.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
If it were my wife, I'd just let her keep on destroying phones, and use the fact to shame her into gun collection, ammo, accessory, and shooting school concessions from the family budget.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
I got my wife to stop washing hers by refusing to buy a replacement.

She's been cell phone free now for a couple years. 

Then again, I'm not surgically attached to my cell phone, and I think it's buried in the truck seat somewhere, last I knew...  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Damn you, Gewehr98! I was about to point that out!

Does your wife really, really, really have to have a cell-phone?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »
AJ Dual has the right idea...............................I have used that before......chris3

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »
Will she carry the phone on her belt?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 02:36:34 PM »
I'm with AJ, but don't go into all the shame stuff.  Tell her, very sweetly and nicely, that every time she washes a phone you get to go buy the gun of your choice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
If you're really smart, you'll shut your mouth and quietly buy her a new phone whenever she needs one. =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
Do a strict zero base budget. Every time she trashes a phone, it get replaced outta her "having fun/eating out with friends" etc money. Gotta make the consequences painful or the behaviour won't be corrected.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
If you're really smart, you'll shut your mouth and quietly buy her a new phone whenever she needs one. =D =D

As much as it pains me to keep my mouth shut at such most times, I believe Grampster nailed it.

I just got done with an hour session with my wife (home, lunch hour) about what she does wrong blah blah blah .....  She agreed, I was exhausted, and nothing will change.  Not everyone possesses the same core priorities.

I suppose the key is to be non-accusatory and look for specific, concrete alternatives and solutions.    Mr TP, I say that for me as much as anyone.

Good Luck.
7-11 was a part time job.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
Tape it to her,,, uh, never mind...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
As much as it pains me to keep my mouth shut at such most times, I believe Grampster nailed it.

I just got done with an hour session with my wife (home, lunch hour) about what she does wrong blah blah blah .....  She agreed, I was exhausted, and nothing will change.  Not everyone possesses the same core priorities.

I suppose the key is to be non-accusatory and look for specific, concrete alternatives and solutions.    Mr TP, I say that for me as much as anyone.

Good Luck.

Depends on your wife. I feel sorry for you if your wife is unable to adjust her behaviour like that; and sorry for her that she has a husband who'll spend an hour listing her faults to her.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
Sensitive item shakedowns at your evening formation.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
Easy solution:  call her every night before she goes to bed (or right when she's about to fall asleep).

You have a laundry chute?  Sweet.
For entertainment purposes only.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
Buy her a Samsung Rugby.... http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=mobilephones&type=mobilephones&subtype=att&model_cd=SGH-A837DKAATT

Do a search on YouTube for video of the Rugby torture tests....the Renaissance Faire video convinced me to buy mine... 

...and I fully support making your wife buy her own phone....my wife buys hers....I just pay the service bill...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
Yeah....don't give her another one.....
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bmitchell

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 03:40:46 PM »
My parents both accidentally dropped our cordless phones into tea.
The funny thing is that we had just gotten a new one after Mom did it, and a week or so later Dad went to hang it up and plunk, right into another pitcher of tea.
I never got blamed for drinking tea but they sure didn't drop any phones in it after that.

Ben

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
When Mrs. G-98 washed her second-to-last cell phone, she was afraid I'd find out. 

She called Sprint, and they told her to take the back cover off, remove the battery, and let it air dry for a week or so.

At the time, it was weird for her not to have a cell phone present, and the lack of the ringtone told me something was up.

She showed me, and after a week, tried it.

It worked.

Unfortunately, it didn't survive the next washing, nor did its replacement.   =|

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
Depends on your wife. I feel sorry for you if your wife is unable to adjust her behaviour like that; and sorry for her that she has a husband who'll spend an hour listing her faults to her.

Do you feel sorry for those who have to have to read your posts pointing out their faults?

The point of my post was not to foster sympathy.  It was to point out the tendency for some (not all, some, which, by my example includes ME) of some husbands to come down a little too hard on the irresponsibility of wives.  I attempted to point out that such harshness is generally ineffective and rarely rewarding.  It was my intention (lost, evidently behind the pointing Balogian finger) to illustrate the potential wisdom of Grampster's suggestion.

She doesn't need you to feel sorry for her, nor do I.  I can understand how you might need to step up and take that responsibility, however, I do not welcome that sarcastic emotional neediness on an open forum.  If you really don't have anything more interesting to do than feel sorry for all the victimization you read into my post, feel free to drop me a pm or an email and, depending on your demeanor, I might tell you about the last 2 years of our marriage, which has included levels of victimization going in various directions, complete with links to news stories, that will really turn you on.

Thanks.
7-11 was a part time job.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »
The problem is not the wife or the phone, it is the laundry.

Clearly, you need to take over all laundry duties in the future, thus avoiding accidental washings of pocket contents.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »
Simmer down children.

FWIW, I see a couple rules broken here.

Rule #1 - Never let Balog see what's going on in your spousal or family relationship.

Rule #2 - See Rule #1.

Even I learned those rules, fairly quickly.   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
The problem is not the wife or the phone, it is the laundry.

Clearly, you need to take over all laundry duties in the future, thus avoiding accidental washings of pocket contents.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge