Author Topic: Buy Ammo- Get a Visit from Homeland Security Folks??  (Read 3945 times)

• friend
Buy Ammo- Get a Visit from Homeland Security Folks??
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:50:08 AM »
I stumbled on this article and was wondering if it's true and widespread or hearsay. 

Anyone know?

Was it one over-eager agent or is it becoming the normal practice?

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2009/03/20/news/local/14551013.txt

Gun sales going ballistic
Fears of regulation, crime spur sales of firearms and ammo
By Don Lehman
dlehman@poststar.com
Updated: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:32 AM EDT

One northern Warren County resident found out recently the government is paying attention to such ammunition sales.

West said a customer of his recently stocked up on .223-caliber rounds, a caliber often used in assault-style weapons. The customer bought 1,000 rounds a few months ago through a mail order company.
Shortly after the purchase, he received a visit from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, whose interest was apparently piqued by a large-scale purchase of that caliber.

"His wife was home. He was at church," West said.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Buy Ammo- Get a Visit from Homeland Security Folks??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:43:44 AM »
So a guy in a gunshop claims to the gunshop owner that he bought 1000 rounds of .223 and got a visit from the feds. . .
 ;/
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
209, the source is a gun shop.  What's the rule?*

*if you hear it in a gun shop, there is an irrebuttable presumption that it is false*
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »
BTW, I purchased many times that amount in December.  The feds have not stopped by for coffee. =D

Looked again--A NEW YORK gun shop!  Good grief, just imagine the lies told in there by guys talking out of the sides of their mouths. ;/
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »
This silliness is a strange mix of the gun culture, the East Coast culture and the human desire for attention.

Lot of guys who claim silly stories like this are holster sniffers who just want to be liked by the police. 

"I bought ammo and a cops said 'what are you doing with that ammo?' and I got to meet a cop and he was impressed by me and that was cool because all of the danger and glamour and excitement."

Holster Sniffers=> :police:

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
That's why I asked here. You guys are so good pointing out the obvious answer.  :laugh:

But, given what is actually transpiring in this country, I guess I'm just tending to believe things "might" be true. Truth is becoming stranger than fiction.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:56 AM »
Looked again--A NEW YORK gun shop!  Good grief, just imagine the lies told in there by guys talking out of the sides of their mouths. ;/

El Tejon, How many years have you lived in Upstate NY?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »
This silliness is a strange mix of the gun culture, the East Coast culture and the human desire for attention.

Lot of guys who claim silly stories like this are holster sniffers who just want to be liked by the police. 

"I bought ammo and a cops said 'what are you doing with that ammo?' and I got to meet a cop and he was impressed by me and that was cool because all of the danger and glamour and excitement."

Holster Sniffers=> :police:

I love that term.   :angel:  You make it up?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »
I love that term.   :angel:  You make it up?

I've heard it before, so I don't think he was the first. The female of the species is sometimes referred to as a Badge Bunny.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I spent FAR too much time in New York, and Boston, especially Boston. =D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
El Tejon, How many years have you lived in Upstate NY?

Ooooh, you done it now. Might as well insult Linux and skip straight to the duelin' pistol at dawn. :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »
Ooooh, you done it now. Might as well insult Linux and skip straight to the duelin' pistol at dawn. :P

No, make sure you insult both his dog and his lawn-care efforts, first.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »
Linux, is that the kid with the blanket in Peanuts?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »
Linux, is that the kid with the blanket in Peanixs?

Rhymes more betterer now...
One day at a time.