Author Topic: Mountain Dew & Alleged Crime  (Read 3514 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Mountain Dew & Alleged Crime
« on: November 23, 2005, 05:11:37 AM »
Here at the oficina del Tejon I read a lot of police reports for the gig.  I noted in two separate reports the presence of Mountain Dew at the time of the arrest (one an OWI, the other a Criminal Trespass).  I've noted Mountain Dew being present in many other cases and present in the hallways of the courthouses I frequent.

I put it to you, is there a causation or merely correlation between Mountain Dew and alleged crimes?

Does Pepsi promote it among the criminal class?  Is it cultural in that bad food and crime go together?  Why Mountain Dew and not other caffine drinks?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Paddy

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:27:28 AM »
Are we talking the flourescent green/yellow Mountain Dew or the Code Red?  I prefer the Code Red with a donut to obtain a nice sugar/caffeine buzz. OTTOMH (off the top of my head) IIRC, MD has the highest percentage of caffeine in any soft drink.  I've noticed large numbers of people at the 7-11 in the morning buying the super size MD.

Here's the caffeine content, 55mg per 12 oz can:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa102799.htm

There may be a hypoglycemia connection; low blood sugar and poor diet can cause huge emotional disturbances and even mental illness.  Schizophrenia and dementia are many times treatable with mega vitamin therapy.

More Mountain Dew trivia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_dew

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:40:07 AM »
Any drink called 'panther piss' by it's own afficianados is probably in and of itself a causative factor in crime. Has to be.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 06:25:13 AM »
Riley, it may be self-treatment.  I see a lot of that behavior.  It may be their lack of education (but as a Yankee I think every problem is rooted in a lack of education) that may cause this craving.  They do not understand that one must eat healthy to be healthy and thus Mountain Dew is sought out.

I have repeatedly suggested basic educational courses in diet and hygenie in our county jail.  IME/O, classes in diet, hygenie and exercise should be mandatory in county jails.  I am shocked at what they do not know.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 06:27:51 AM »
MD has the highest percentage of caffeine in any soft drink.
Jolt cola has more caffeine.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 06:54:04 AM »
I am a Mountain Dew addict.  I avoid it before going to the range though, as it screws up my aim.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 07:03:03 AM »
Jolt does have more caffeine, 72 mg according to this.  Look at Red Bull, 115mg!
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/caffeine/caffeine_info1.shtml#1

And yes, ET, I suspect the negative effects of poor diet play a significant role in anti social behavior.   Has it been your experience that offenders will many times 'normalize' after a few months in jail, away from the junk food and drugs?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 08:03:32 AM »
Riley, wow, were you following me around this morning?  I had a bond reduction hearing where the guy I was appointed looked like a COMPLETELY different person from when I first saw him 3 weeks ago.  He had lost a little weight and did not look so "puffy" that the booze and garbage diet give them.  His skin had a "shine" to it.

You really note the distinction among the meth set--night and day.

Preacherman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:35:55 AM »
Around here, "mountain dew" refers to a rural product of the Ozarks.  No caffeine, no sugar, but one heck of a lot of alcohol!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 09:39:16 AM »
There was a guy in Brazil a while back who claimed that drinking jasmine tea made him go insane and kill people.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 09:41:14 AM »
I DO know that the little animals I dealt with when I was a Boy Scout leader would take large amounts of MD on camping trips and have an all night MD drinking extravaganza. They were doing it for the buzz. Even when I asked them nicely not to bring any on the 3 day Appalachian Trail hike because of the need for the extra room in their packs for things like FOOD as well as getting a good nights rest the little buggers STILL hauled many gallons to the top o' the mountain and stayed up all night. Needless to say I was not very happy about it. It was the beginning of the end for myself and that troop. So I'd agree that there's some delinquency tied to the drinking of MD in certain cases.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 11:35:11 AM »
As a MD addict, I could say it's better than being a crack whore.  (But not by much, our morals are completely shot)

My fellow crew-dawgs and myself refer to the stuff as squirrel piss, then buy it in the larger bottles for our long 10-16 hour sorties.  

Suffice it to say, I enjoy a cold Dew around the house, too.  And nobody messes with Daddy's Dew.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 11:42:11 AM »
Jolt cola has more caffeine.
Mountain Dew is trying to catch up, they now have Amp and Mountain Dew X energy drinks.

I see people drinking these "energy drinks" all the time and I wonder if they realize that crap ain't Gatorade.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »
I sometimes drink energy drinks.  I know they're not good for me.  But heck, I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't do drugs.  They're pricey but I don't expect them to kill me.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »
Around here, "mountain dew" refers to a rural product of the Ozarks.  No caffeine, no sugar, but one heck of a lot of alcohol!
Back when Mountain Dew first came out, around 1965 or 1966, its advertising theme was that of the Ozarks.  The ads would feature cartoon hillbillies, corn-cob pipes, hogs, etc., with the slogan "There's a bang in every bottle !"

That was the good old days.  What does it represent now, snow boarders or something ?

It's always been one of my favorite sodas (pops), very unique flavor.  Especially good on a hot day when you lower its temperature to near freezing.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 12:57:14 PM »
Meanwhile, Jolt (Wet Planet Beverages) has a rockin' web site:

http://www.wetplanet.com/

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
(Sorry, I'm on a roll.)

Jolt Cola flavor reminds me of the flavor of RC Cola, but I haven't seen RC in a long time.

Jolt has a great non-PC slogan:  "All of the sugar, and twice the caffeine !"

Jolt has become hard to find in my neighborhood.  Albertson's used to carry it pretty reliably.  I once worked with a guy who had never seen Jolt, and thought it was a myth.  I sent him an empty can.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 02:07:09 PM »
Does anybody remember "Crank 2-0? Caffienated water? Some people would make coffee with it. Talk about zoom...

Got some in the freezer right now. Everybody is too chicken to try it. shocked

I used to soak cherries in it and once I went to a pig roast with all these heavily tattooed rough and tough types but NONE of 'em could handle the cherries. You had to put them in the corner of your mouth and let them dissolve. NEVER EVER BITE THEM!! Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
I like MD.  I quit drinking soda water about a year and 1/2 ago, when I realized I was turning into a MD and Big Red addict.  I now have one diet MD about every month or two.  It's amazing how good the diet stuff can taste when you quit drinking the real thing.  I'm no health nut and have recognized no benefit of replacing many soda pops a day with mostly water, so I'll probably start drinking it again in the near future.
For entertainment purposes only.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »
It's amazing how good the diet stuff can taste when you quit drinking the real thing.
That's how I am with diet Dr. Pepper.  First I noticed that diet Dr. Pepper was much better than most diet sodas, then I discovered that I couldn't go back to regular sodas because they now seem too syrupy.  A good diet soda has a "cleaner" bite.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »
That's how I am with diet Dr. Pepper.  First I noticed that diet Dr. Pepper was much better than most diet sodas, then I discovered that I couldn't go back to regular sodas because they now seem too syrupy.
+1, also due to the diet Dr P. versus other diet drinks.

Regarding the Mountain Dew, I can say through empirical observation that the MD drinkers in my circle of friends are generally considered the shadiest of us characters. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 05:27:11 PM »
We used to carry Water Joe at the coffeehouse.  The average consumer was about 12 years old.  Couldn't keep it in stock, no matter how much we ordered in.  We even cranked up the price to discourage the kids from drinking so much of it.  Didn't work, but the profits were great.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

HForrest

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 08:47:35 PM »
I thought I'd never see a link to Erowid in APS.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Combat-wombat
I thought I'd never see a link to Erowid in APS.
Ditto, bro.  I did a doubletake.

...but you know, once or twice a year a monster thread about drug legalization gets started on THR or TFL, and I have been AMAZED at how libertarian (small L) most posts are.

Next we're gonna start seeing Lycaeum and stainblue on here, too.
Or, not.

I'd have never considered erowid a place to find info re: Mtn Dew.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/a/2003/07/11/national1844EDT0773.DTL

Was in Panama and he didn't kill anyone, but apart from that I was 100% correct.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also