Author Topic: Driving on a bad cylinder  (Read 30442 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Driving on a bad cylinder
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
right....

Which is why you have to justify yourself with your "certification" rather then your apparent knowledge on the subject matter.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

ThrottleJockey

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
Which is why you have to justify yourself with your "certification" rather then your apparent knowledge on the subject matter.

I think my "apparent knowledge" pretty much speaks for itself. As for my ASE cert, how many of the blocks have you tested in? I don't even think I used it to justify any thing, just a plain simple matter of fact. A relatively short time spent with google and about the same time reading, and you will find everything I said to be correct.

go_bang

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
Trollin' trollin' trollin'.  Keeps the posts a rollin'.  Keep those users fumin'...

My 2002 Ford Focus SE, which is currently sitting at the shop because Ford cheaped out on the overdrive solenoid, was built in Wayne, MI and has the fuel filler on the passenger side.  So much for that theory.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
Besides, if there was "japanese steel", and it was sooo good, wouldn't gun manufacturers buy it to make guns from?

I don't know about gun manufacturers, but knife manufacturers sure do.  The list of steels Gewehr mentioned are used by many high-end knife manufacturers as well as companies like Spyderco, Kershaw, Gerber, etc.  Hell, Kabar has a good deal of its knives made in Japan and Taiwan (not the military models, but many of their other models). 

Japan may not mine their own ore, but they do a decent job of smelting it into useable stock. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
Cars in the MillCreek household and location of the gas filler

1986 Mazda B-2000 pickup: built in Hiroshima, Japan and the filler is on the passenger side
2005 Ford Escape SUV: built in Kansas City and the filler is on the driver side
2004 Mercedes C-230 sedan: built in Germany and the filler is on the passenger side.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »
made my living knowing more about them than the next guy.

that would depend who you were standing next to  wouldn't it?

what happened to that biz?  the next guy own it now?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »
Edited - overtaken by events, as it were... ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:11:46 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along...   :police:

(Save for his frustration over at THR.US, that is...)

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=408310

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 02:35:22 AM »
Ever notice how bad those things rusted?

Uh, no.  They didn't rust any more than the American cars I drove in that period.  Sorry, ain't buying it,
ThrottleJockey.  A fanatic does not necessarily an expert make.  Not too many here agreeing with you, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 07:15:40 AM »
I think my "apparent knowledge" pretty much speaks for itself. As for my ASE cert, how many of the blocks have you tested in? I don't even think I used it to justify any thing, just a plain simple matter of fact. A relatively short time spent with google and about the same time reading, and you will find everything I said to be correct.
Actually...none.  But I still know a certain bodily orifice from a hole in the ground and enough to know when someone else doesn't.  Practice does not make perfect, and if I had a dollar for every time I heard a mechanic say something completely wrong I'd be a very rich man today.

Rust?  Let me guess....about as much as anything else?  Just for clarification these wouldn't be rusting away in parts of the country they throw a few inches of salt down at the mere hint of snow would it?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
Have we gotten independent verification on that pot-metal thing yet? If so, I'll start looking for a replacement for my 1991 Nissan Frontier that hasn't had any mechanical problems in its 150K-mile life and that I just replaced all the belts & plugs....don't want to end up driving something that won't last for the long run, do I?.....

;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Let it go folks.

ThrottleJockey can't respond, anyway.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
Worked his way out of here pretty quickly, did he?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 01:30:05 AM »
MEANWHILE.  I do believe that your car has coil-over-plug ignition, meaning that rather than a central distributor with wires to each spark plug, it has a coil directly above each plug.  My suggestion would be to remove the coil from whichever cylinder is misfiring(you already did this to replace the plugs, if you did it yourself.  Otherwise you totally can do it yourself, just don't break the electrical connector on the coil), and exchange it with the coil from the next cylinder over, then see what happens.  Misfire problems on 3.0 Accords seem usually to stem from faulty coils, although yours being partially solved by replacing the plugs is a bit puzzling.

Did you use the correct plugs?  Most newer imports(all Hondas, I believe) require somewhat expensive platinum plugs.  I prefer Denso or NGK, not a big fan of Champion or Autolite.  They typically come pre-gapped, so do still check gap, but you shouldn't need to change it.

What's the car's mileage?

Dude, never, EVER take advice from auto parts store employees.  With a very few exceptions, they're idiots, paid the $6.50/hour that they're worth.  If they had the brains to work on cars, they would be doing that for much better pay.

(My MR2s and my wife's Miata have their fuel filler caps on the driver side, the Celica has its on the passenger side.  The Peterbilt's fuel filler is on the passenger side, too, but it was built in Canada - does that count?)

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »
This is probably too late for the original poster, but it's definitely a bad idea to drive on a misfiring cylinder. I had a 2000 S-10 which nearly caught on fire after it was driven with no spark in one cylinder. The cat overheated, melted the internal structure destroying it, and got hot enough to burn off the paint on the bottom of the cab.