Author Topic: The 2010 Census- questions???  (Read 3936 times)

• friend
The 2010 Census- questions???
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:19:37 AM »
I figured there's enough people here with the knowledge to answer some questions about the census.  I've got into a lively discussion on another site and I don't have any answers to some of the questions or rebuttals to some of the statements. 

One of the folks is saying we are "mandated by law" to answer census questions.  =|  I do seem to remember when they sent out that "long form" packet last census that they said we were required by law to answer it [I didn't answer everything and never heard back from them].  We were talking about the new 2010 census that may have people knocking on our doors.  I hate uninvited people knocking on my door.  :laugh:  I said I'd tell the guy to get lost.  A posted response was that I can't do that- allegedly there is some federal law.

If we get a mailed questionaire, do we have to return it?

If some idiot comes to the door, do we have to talk with him?

Anyone know what the rules are?

HankB

• friend
Re: The 2010 Census- questions???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
In theory, there's a $100 fine for refusing to answer.

That said, in 2000 I got the long form, which had a LOT of intrusive questions - how much I spend annually on utilities, the value of my house, what time I leave for work (!) and other things that are nobody else's <expletive> business.

I filled in the number of people living at my house, and sent back the form with the rest blank - that's the last I heard of it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »
I got the long form.  I answered the general demographics honestly, then made up the rest.   =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
I also got the long form in 2000. I answered questions I thought were pertinent to a population count, sent the form back, heard no more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
One arrived at my house with the wrong address - house number off by a digit. Since it would have been dishonest to fill it out, it went in the recycling.

I figured that filling out a form for a different address would be fraudulent. Wouldn't it? After all, I'm not living there.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:24 AM »
I figured there's enough people here with the knowledge to answer some questions about the census.  I've got into a lively discussion on another site and I don't have any answers to some of the questions or rebuttals to some of the statements. 

One of the folks is saying we are "mandated by law" to answer census questions.  =|  I do seem to remember when they sent out that "long form" packet last census that they said we were required by law to answer it [I didn't answer everything and never heard back from them].  We were talking about the new 2010 census that may have people knocking on our doors.  I hate uninvited people knocking on my door.  :laugh:  I said I'd tell the guy to get lost.  A posted response was that I can't do that- allegedly there is some federal law.

If we get a mailed questionaire, do we have to return it?

If some idiot comes to the door, do we have to talk with him?

Anyone know what the rules are?

My responses for the 2010 census shall be:

Census Taker (CT) We need you to fill out this questionnaire...

Me: There are 5 people living in this house.

CT: But we need you to fill out this questionnaire!

Me: NO. There are 5 people living in this house. Now go away.

CT: But the questio-

Me: Release the hounds.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

guns and more

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
Well since the census has now been transfered to the White House, and Acorn got $4 billion in crapulus money,
my first question to any census worker will be, "Are you in any way affiliated with Acorn?"
If the answer is yes, I will say, "Get off my property!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Be advised that the ACORN Census workers will be going door to door to ensure that all peasants citizens will have properly displayed the pictures of our glorious leader in each room.  And the triumphial books he has authored are available and being read to any children present.   

:police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

In theory, there's a $100 fine for refusing to answer.

I looked for that in the US Code but couldn’t find it.  It must be tucked away in the fine print in some law.

My responses for the 2010 census shall be:

Me: Release the hounds.

I gotta get me some hounds!  :laugh:

Well since the census has now been transfered to the White House, and Acorn got $4 billion in crapulus money, my first question to any census worker will be, "Are you in any way affiliated with Acorn?"
If the answer is yes, I will say, "Get off my property!"

Probably not a bad idea.  While I assume not all ACORN folks are bad people, there are enough of them I wouldn’t consider letting in my house and since I can't know which are which, I guess the safe thing to do is tell any of them to go away.

So I guess I’ll just shoo them off the property if they put me on their home visit list.  I assume it'll be impossible for any agency to actually do anything about it.  i doubt there's enough of them to handle all of the people who say they won't comply.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:46:30 AM »
Be advised that the ACORN Census workers will be going door to door to ensure that all peasants citizens will have properly displayed the pictures of our glorious leader in each room.   :police: :police: :police:

In that vein...

My hometown and county have gone from majority white to majority black in the past twelve to fifteen years. My oldest daughter goes to the same elementary school I went to. I've been in and out of the school - attending, then going back to visit, then as a parent beginning six years ago - for 41 years. In that time there has never been a portrait of any POTUS on display anywhere in any of the buildings. During election years and pertinent history social studies blocks of instruction there have been photos of past and sitting Presidents on display, but never a formal portrait. I went to the school a few weeks ago for the first time since Christmas Winter Break to see a portrait of President Obama on the wall in the entrance hallway, another in the main office, and a third in the Principal's office. I'm considering having a talk with the Principal about personality cults and their effect on history.

So as not to be neglectful of the OP - I answer the Census with number of people in household and their ages, nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:41:24 AM by Uncle Bubba »
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »
Why the census?  Couldn't they figure most of this stuff out from the IRS?  # of people, dependents, etc.?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
This is going to be about counting as many illegals as possible.

There will probably be some kind of statistical adjustments made to the figures to account for illegals that were not counted, and to reduce the count of republicans who are well known for being duplicated in the census figures. :)
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
How do they handle it in Chicago? Do you have to have your own grave, or can they count you if yer stuck in Potter's Field?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)