Author Topic: What funny/annoying stuff did YOUR relatives do on Thanksgiving?  (Read 8017 times)

Seymour Skinner

What funny/annoying stuff did YOUR relatives do on Thanksgiving?
« on: November 25, 2005, 01:10:42 AM »
My in laws spent most of t-day dinner (half are "adults" older than me) dissecting the new Hairy Potty movie to such an extent, it reminded me of when Comic Book Guy showed up and started asking deep plot questions about Xena with episodes indexed and all.

Any Jerry Springer type brawls?  Any announcements made at the dinner table (pregnancies, marriages, "meet my new lesbian lover," "wanna see my new tattoo") type stuff?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 01:32:08 AM »
Not really, but I DID get to tell my,"When I was a kid I worked at a meat processing plant and gutted 2,500 chckens a day" story again. That one is always a big hit! It began when I noticed my turkey still had his (her) esophagus...

No discussions of Hairy Potty though. THAT couple spent the day elsewhere this year.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:00:44 AM »
My family's pretty boring.  The biggest problem we run into during the holidays is making sure we spend as much time as possible with both familys (mine and my wife's).  It's even more critical now that we have a daughter.  

Politically, spiritually, and personality-wise, we're all pretty much on the same page.  It makes for a very boring holiday season. Wink

Chris

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:05:42 AM »
My wife's absolute waste-of-space niece showed-up with her totally obnoxious 9 yr old daughter...fortunately the kid was under the weather so they scarfed their free chow and made the swoop.  Everybody in the family made some sort of negative comment about them, even her Mom.  Trust me, you really don't want to know the gory details.

Found out that another nephew (with girlfriend) that attended is about to make a big step and buy an engagement ring....AFTER SIX YRS OF DATING AN ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL GIRL.   She's a school teacher, also works at Home Depot, never been married, no kids, and just a living doll.  They're both in their early 30's and he's been dragging his feet because of a bad 1st marriage.  Everybody in the family has been putting a boot up his wazoo to get on with it, but she finally put her foot down "Ring by Christmas or you're out of here, Dude."  Last year at Christmas I publicly told them "If you marry Katie for New Year's, I'll write you a check for $2500 right now to cover the honeymoon to Vegas"...and I meant it.  My wife didn't bat an eye at the proposed expenditure, and you have no idea what a tightwad she is.

Nothing else to report, no red lights or sirens.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:28:28 AM »
Nothing obnoxious at all. I had Thanksgiving dinner at a Serbian restaurant with a couple of cute Navy guys.

Don't ask about the Serbian thing. I have no idea. I don't know what a lot of that stuff was but it tasted pretty good.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:38:52 AM »
Recall I fired /disowned all folks that aresupposed to be family - except for one, Mom.

Funny:

I Lost my mom in the Cracker Barrel , she was supposed to be "I'll stay right here", yep, she wandered off, seems she saw a kid playing with some toy and wandered over to investigate. She did this before our table was ready -only a 5 min wait ("I'm not thru looking yet...") and after the meal.

Ha! You think keeping up with kids is tough. I was not the only one trying to find Adults  and when did..."now honey, put that down - our table is ready". My mom had both a toy, and candy in hand...Tongue

--

Annoying:

Get back to her place and both the landline and her cell phone rings - her kids actually called. Oh not to really check on her or be sincere in wishes...to rub it in where and what they were doing.

"They want to say Hi".

"I don't have any sibs, no I will not say hello"

"It is T-Day"

"So is T-day the only day these pious ,goody two shoed , pew sitting folks actually give Thanks - or they need to be able to say they called their mom to get honorable mention and Amen in church...or just want attention?

I made sure I replied loud enough for to hear me over the phone...

Then I got pissed. Seems the 8 y/o neice, told Grandma "Steve is so cool, but I am mad. Mom and threw away my "dana" on my mirror".

I'd sent by way of mom a Gadson Flag on a bandanaa couple of years ago "so cool", it used to hang off her mirror and wherever else she hung it in her room. Playing T-Ball or on her kids 4 wheeler she wore it..."makes me do better".

Now to find that child a new bandana. I need to find a really good one to piss of her parents with. Now if I could only talk mom into getting this 8 y/o girl a T shirt to sleep in with a really good Pro Gun message on it....:evil grin:

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:53:23 AM »
I might be able to talk my wife out of her "Kalashnikitty" tee shirt. She wore it to the yuppie midsize grocery store one day and got a good share of incredulous stares I guess. She forgot she had it on and couldn't figure out what the problem was at first. She hasn't worn it since. LOL...

Hey Barbara, was one of those handsome Navy guys your son? Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:59:30 AM »
"My family's pretty boring."

I can vouch for that. Cheesy

I have to ask... Does your daughter beat up on your family the way she beats up on me, or does she save the toddler-fu for non-relatives?

It was just me, Mom, and Dad this year, so no big deal.

Oh, and the 4 dogs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:01:48 AM »
Sure was. Got a day of liberty for the holiday, so me and the youngest and my niece drove out to Chicago to spend the day with him. One of his buddies came along and we hung out for the day. Had a great time. He graduates next week, so I'm driving out again Thursday night.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 10:33:29 AM »
Sob.   Aunt Bonnie made stuffing balls this year instead of cooking it in the turkey.  The stuffing looked like oversized meatballs and someone screwed up the temp dial on the stove.  We won't lack for pool balls for the rest of the year.  All we gotta do is put stripes on half of em and some #'s.  Sob.   My grandson thinks maybe he can put some of them in a sling shot and maybe get a deer with it.

I had a turkey samwich this afternoon and no cold stuffing.  I think I'm going to have to take to my bed or drink a couple bottles of wine.   Sob.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 01:11:58 PM »
I did get ino a little bit of Dutch during the cooking phase over our dressing.

I was sauteeing the neck/diced giblet meat with garlic, onion, celery and I clandestinely slipped the liver/gizzard/heart meat into the trash.  When the wife discovered my skulduggery she chewed me out for not feeding it to the dog instead of trashing it.  I love that woman!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
You don't put the liver and heart into the gravy?

Heathen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
Moondoggie - I learned the hard way the odds and ends of turkey fed to a young dog (he was six months at the time) can create a very effective four-legged room clearing device.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 02:00:01 PM »
We just use broth for gravy making.  We also boil the homemade egg noodles in another pot of broth.

There's plenty of meat on a 20+ pounder...don't NEED no guts with my holiday dinner.  Guts are for survival situations.

Our dog is 10, and no offensive gastro-intestinal problems on his part!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 04:08:39 PM »
We've been doing 20+ pounders at the holidays for as long as I've been around, plus several times throughout the year, too.

Giblets go in the gravy. Gizzard I'm not crazy about. You need the tang that they add.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 04:21:12 PM »
My kitty slept a lot.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Strings

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 05:31:40 PM »
we had our normal "go to the convent and have turkey lunch with Aunt Louise" yesterday. ALways fun to walk in there "dressed up"... "did you see that man? He was wearing a SKIRT" (yeah... formal for me is usually a kilt)...

And then there's this gem:

>I have to ask... Does your daughter beat up on your family the way she beats up on me, or does she save the toddler-fu for non-relatives?<

Mike, man... let it go. You're just making yourself look worse, whining about how a lil' girl beats up on ya... :neener:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 07:15:33 PM »
Barbara, don't tell me that you went all the way to Chicago to troll for sailors. Wink

Pardon my negative holiday attitude, but I absolutely hate the holidays, and for a number of reasons.

One is that the holidays have always interfered with business. Can't make sales calls. Call me Scrooge, but I don't care.

Another is that I pretty much dislike 50% of my relatives. I have one sister-in-law who went out and bought 64 nightgowns in one day, with the rationale that she would only have to wash them a few times a year. She also went out on one ocassion and bought 700 pounds of dry dog food, which have been molding in her basement. A few years ago, she had her head buzz-cut and her hair dyed blaze orange (she's 64). She covers it up by wearing I don't know how many wigs.

Yeah, I really want to talk to her. Actually, I hardly ever talk to her, anyway. Prior to my father's quintuple bypass surgery years back, she called him nightly to harangue about the benefits of natural herbs and spices, and to blame my mother for cooking "bad food". She only stopped calling when I told her that, if anything happened to my father because of the stress she was putting on him, I'd put a bullet in the back of her head.

Another sister-in-law can't stop talking. As God is my Witness, I haven't talked to my brother (her husband) in decades. Every time I ask him a question, she takes over and answers it. She's loud, obnoxious, and detested by every sane member of my family, including her children. On top of that, she loves to talk about her job at a local hospital. Nothing like hearing loud, obnoxious stories about death and disease while trying to digest a meal.

Yup, there's a reason to get together.

On the in-law side, I have a coke-head brother-in-law who's either cleaning up his act, or attacking another family member with a butcher knife. The SOB ruined one of my best Cajun meals on New Year's Eve 2001 when he went after his brother with a knife and I had to go over to the house and intervene. I had plans for my wife and I for that night, if you know what I mean. Someday I'm going to get him for that.

On top of that, his girlfriend is on so many psychotropic drugs that talking to her is like talking to a potted plant. At least the plant looks good, assuming it's well-watered and gets the proper amount of sunlight. She looks like she hasn't seen sunlight since the year 1187.

Another brother-in-law knows more about trains--real or model trains--than most anyone else would ever want to know, especially me. He also likes to use his 2,000,000 mega-watt stereo system to blast the sound from the train wreck scene from "The Fugitive" while everyone is eating. I kid you not: he has cracked walls while doing this.

Then there's the other brother-in-law who's now near 50. He knows one thing and knows it well: the space launches from the 1960's. Last Thanksgiving he cornered me for nearly an hour to talk about all of the various fuels used to launch the Apollo craft, and the benefits of each fuel. If he worked for NASA, I might have been more attuned. Given that he works as a janitor at McDonald's, my interest waned quickly.

Last June I had surgery on my inner ear. The surgeon told me that I would need to have it done again in six to eight months. I said, "make it six."

He questioned my reasons, but finally accepted two: one was that, if we went into 2006, he would be paid very slowly. (Old Henny Youngman joke: "Doctor Welzer is here. A wonderful doctor. Gave a guy six months to live. Guy couldn't pay his bill, so Doctor Welzer gave him another six months.")

The other reason was that, per his instructions, I was not to do anything to raise my blood pressure following surgery.

And my family certainly does raise my blood pressure.

Strings

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »
Ya know Dick... you're always welcome to come up here for Thanksgiving. Granted, T-Day dinner is usually tacos (although we MIGHT change that next year), but it'd still be people you could actually hold a conversation with... Wink

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 02:23:58 AM »
My mom came out from sunny Florida for a week before Thanksgiving.  Along with playing with our 13 month old son (her real reason for coming), she helped us paint our hallway.  Oh, she also cooked every other night.  Yum yum and thank the Lord )and mom) for leftovers packed away in the freezer!

If forced to divulge something funny/annoying, I guess I could note the sheer volume of coffee my mom drinks: 3-4 pots of coffee per day.  Nearly a gallon, on average.  She even makes a pot of coffee before going to bed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 03:49:38 AM »
I spent the day with some friends and their 4 kids.  The food was incredible, and we ate well.  The kids had made "bread buddies", so we had some really oddly shaped dinner rolls.  I think only one kid got sent to his room during dinner for using a knawed drumstick as a weapon.  

Spent "black Friday" by myself, wandering around the Smithsonian (Natural History), until it got crowded, then headed to the National Gallery to see the exhibit of Audubon prints.  It was a nice relaxed day.

Only 2 weeks until the end of the semester, so I have my work cut out for me.
Experiment with a chemist!

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 04:10:47 AM »
Barbara, don't tell me that you went all the way to Chicago to troll for sailors.
I sure did. They were very handsome young men, too.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 06:06:07 AM »
Dick,
Why don't you film one of your get togethers?  It might turn into a cult classic like "A Christmas Story".  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 06:34:46 AM »
Just me and my daughter this year...

Instead of the usual baked potatoes, I decided to make mashed potatoes this year. Peeled 'em, cut 'em up, boiled 'em, etc.

Put them in a bowl on the counter and attacked them with the hand mixer. Potatoes flew all over the kitchen.

I thought I might have to perform cpr on my daughter she was laughing so hard.

Next time I am going to use a bigger bowl, and put said bowl in the sink.

Also not going to use the super turbo charged, whirling whisks of death speed setting on the mixer!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 09:52:48 AM »
While at the Thanksgiving table, one of my inlaws - a minister - test-drove the entire speech he's planning to give...at an uncoming funeral.