Author Topic: What funny/annoying stuff did YOUR relatives do on Thanksgiving?  (Read 8015 times)

DJJ

• friend
What funny/annoying stuff did YOUR relatives do on Thanksgiving?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2005, 04:11:13 PM »
Geez, am I the only one whose life/family isn't a soap opera?

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2005, 04:43:47 PM »
Had a nice, quiet dinner with the immediate family. No relatives within 2000 miles (PRAISE THE LORD, CAN I GET A HALLELUJEH?). Spent Black Friday breaking in the new car on a road trip to the mountains. Best T-day I can recall.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2005, 04:55:28 PM »
Quote from: DJJ
Geez, am I the only one whose life/family isn't a soap opera?
No.  My family and my wife's family are as boring as they come.  Heck, we don't even have a single divorce that anyone can think of.

Chris

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »
Dick, that was a riot! Thanks for a good chuckle.

We drove to civilization aka an Atlanta suburb to have T Day with my wife's mom.  Her oldest daughter is a bigwig executive director of a state funded drug/alcohol prevention program up in rural NY state.  Smart, conservative in a liberal bastion Blue State, and fun.

Younger daughter (SWMBO's the middle child) is living next door to Mom now, on her 5th marriage and has been in and out of treatment for Anorexia 3 times.  She never came over to her Mom's house at all while we were there, so we stuck our heads in the door and said hi on the way out of town.  That was kinda nice. Cheesy

Mom's mother and sister both had Alzheimer's pretty badly before they died, and Mom's not nearly as sharp as she once was...keeping an eye on her.

All in all, a pretty typical day in my carnival-ride world.

w turner

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2005, 03:52:55 PM »
I'm rapidly getting to the point where I am ready to tell both side of my family to drop the presents and food for us.  Way too much drama whenever we get together.

Mom's side....

Grandparents raised their kids and most of THEIR kids me included until I was 12.  Have been raising the youngest cousin (currently 4yo) since 8 weeks after birth due to my uncle and his newest wife not having their priorities in order.  Said cousin was recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (same family as Autism), but my GF still treats him like he is 1.  Same cousin pushed my 16 mo old son down when he decided he wanted my son's toy.  My aunt handled it VERY well, but my grandfather couldn't stand to see him disciplined.  Took strong words and direct eye contact to keep my grandfather out of it.  Words like "favoritism" and "not coming for Christmas".  He spent most of the time were there after that outside away form everyone else.

Dad's side.......

Where do I start.....drinking, my brother #1 stills owes me money from 6 months ago but  somehow found the money to buy a new guitar and pills for all of his inlaws, my 22 year old cousin and 20 year old cousin (unrelated to each other) still live there, brother #2 got fired (justifiably) from the same place I work about 2 weeks before T-giving, my Dad/step-mothers house is disgusting, my son was cranky due to the time of dinner and having been in the car most of the day

Thankfully my inlaws don't do Thanksgiving and the entire extended family come in for Chrsitmas so my wife's parents are usually on their better behavior.  MIL is bi-polar but undiagnosed and FIL had a personality changing stroke two years ago.  BIL #1 and his son are fairly normal, BIL #2 is ok too, just a little different.

W