Author Topic: The Round Table cookbook  (Read 16315 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: The Round Table cookbook
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »
Vinaigrette dressing - buy one of the "Good Seasons" dressing cruets that are packaged with a packet of seasoning. Use the seasoning once (the damned packets are almost as much as the pre-made store stuff).
Add vinegar to first line, water to second line, oil to third line. Sprinkle in garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt and a little sugar. Shake well.
Costs ~$.60 to make and is damned good. No multi-syllabic ingredients, either. :laugh:

BBQ pot roast - pot roast, bbq sauce, quartered potatoes in Crock Pot. Potatoes absorb the bbq sauce very nicely; serve over pasta or brown rice.

Fried rice/noodles - oil, garlic, onion, vegetables, meat/seafood. Mix it all up and serve.

Chicken/mac salad - diced chicken, mayonnaise, garlic, onion, elbow macaroni. Maybe some chopped celery and a sprinkle of Old Bay. Make sure to mix this when it's cool, otherwise the mayonnaise gets nasty. Serve cold. This is a favorite in the summertime 'round these parts.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
The Inside Out Hot Ham & Cheese

2 slices bread, wheat or multi-grain
About 1/8 lbyour choice of sliced or diced ham (I use SPAM, of course =D )
2-3 oz cream cheese (about 1/3 of a block)
Salt
Thyme
1/2 cup shredded or 3-4 slices of your favorite cheese (I use colby/jack or muenster)
1 medium tomato, sliced or diced (or 1/2 can diced tomato)
2 pats butter

Heat skillet hot enough to toast bread slowly
Spread cream cheese equally on bread slices.  Place one pat butter in skillet and allow to melt into a puddle.  Place one slice of bread onto the puddle.  Put on ham and cheese.  Season to taste with salt and thyme.  Place other slice bread on top.  Allow to toast.  Turn and toast second side.  Remove from skillet, top with tomato and serve immediately.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:42:23 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
Nothing fancy, just a really good tuna fish sandwich:

can of tuna
balsamic vinegar
thin sliced red onion
fresh spinach
good multigrain wheat bread

toast the bread, while it is toasting slice the onion and mix the tuna with the vinegar.  lay out spinach leaves on the bread and then spread the tuna and vinegar then lay onion on top with another layer of spinach.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2009, 07:10:45 PM »
Cooking naked?

That's what it's all about, folks.

Cooking naked.   =D

Cooking naked is fun.....but it's even better when you have help ;) in the kitchen.....never cook naked alone, I always say....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Kwelz

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
Cooking naked is fun.....but it's even better when you have help ;) in the kitchen.....never cook naked alone, I always say....  =D

There are so many ways this could go wrong.  Hot grease, Knives, etc.  I just want to put the thought away and never have it come back up thank you. 

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
There are so many ways this could go wrong.  Hot grease, Knives, etc. 

With a little imagination, that could be how things go right.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
In some cultures cooking bacon in an open frying pan in the buff is a right of passage into manhood.

Kwelz

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2009, 08:31:18 PM »
With a little imagination, that could be how things go right.... ;)

Haha.  Even I am not that twisted, and I am a very twisted individual.  ;)

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Necro-bumping the last cooking thread because I created awesomeness (its a word if I say it is) tonight

Note:  I don't measure ingredients...  amounts (when even listed) are approximate

About 6 oz or so (half box) of penne rigate pasta, I use the ronzoni healthy harvest stuff

2 diced chicken breasts

olive oil

a cup or so of fresh sliced mushrooms

diced half yellow onion

diced red bell pepper

garlic

1 can diced no salt added tomatoes

basil, oregano, sage, and thyme

one serving of grated low fat Parmesan cheese (for about 4 servings of dinner)

couple of tablespoons (what was left in the bottle) white cooking wine

start boiling water and start the pasta when ready

in a large skillet...

cook the chicken with some oil until browned

add the onions and garlic

and when they are almost done add the red bell pepper and spices and cook until softened

add the white wine

add the mushrooms for a few minutes until they shrink (or wing it if canned)

add the tomatoes

simmer for a while

toss the pasta with olive oil and the cheese, top with everything else

Serves 3-4

Its very low sodium and low fat but in no way tastes like it
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:07:39 PM by 41magsnub »

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:25 AM »
All-natural low-carb waffles (or pancakes):

1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
8 oz cream cheese
4 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter

Mix it all together into a batter and cook it as waffles or pancakes. Seriously, it's great.
D. R. ZINN

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »
Could somebody please crash the hard drive ?

Thank you.

=)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
Buy a crock pot and a crock pot recipe book.  Any man can cook in a crock pot.  And cook well enough to impress.
 :angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
It's getting to be about the time of year when I go thump a few cottontails, skin and quarter them, then throw them into the crock pot with KC Masterpiece for the better part of a day before digging in.

I have a venison swiss steak recipe from my mom that also works wonderfully in the crock pot...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lee

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 10:44:18 PM »
Throw some of those rabbit saddles in a pyrex baking dish, smother them with a heaping pile of sour cream and thinly sliced onions, bake them at 350-400 deg, for about 90 minutes, and eat yourself sick.  One of my all time favorites. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
Throw some of those rabbit saddles in a pyrex baking dish

Why on earth would anyone want to saddle a rabbit.  ???

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lee

• friend
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
Well...you know what they say about rabbits  :laugh:

Lee

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »
Not my recipe...but sounds great.  Rabbit, cocoa beans, butter, onions and bacon...how could that be bad?

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/grilled-saddle-of-rabbit-with-cocoa-and-confit-shallot-jus/
Flavors of Quebec
Total time: 15 to 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Very fast - a few minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Chef's Note
If you use bacon instead of pork fat, reduce the amount of salt.
Ingredients
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 whole saddles of Rabbit
- 75 ml (5 tbsp.) Cocoa beans
- 4 slices of pork fat or bacon
Rabbit jus
- Rabbit bones
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 8 small pattypan squash
- 1 sprig of thyme
- A splash of white vermouth
Sauce
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) acacia honey
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 12 French shallots, finely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) rabbit jus
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper
- 1 knob of unsalted butter
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) white wine
Method

Making the rabbit jus

1. In a saucepan, sauté the vegetables in butter; deglaze with the vermouth and wine, and reduce for a few minutes. Add the bones to the vegetables and cover with water; let simmer gently until reduced by half.
   2. Strain the jus and set aside.

Sauce

1. Place the honey and vinegar into a small saucepan; let simmer for 2 minutes.
   2. Add the shallots and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
   3. Add the rabbit jus and reduce everything by one third. Correct the seasoning.

Saddle

1. Grind the cocoa beans in a small food processor. Roll the saddles of rabbit in the crushed beans. Hold everything in place with a slice of pork fat.
   2. Grill the meat on all sides over medium heat; reduce the heat and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
   3. Slice the meat into medallions; arrange on plates; place the vegetables in the centre of the plate and spoon the sauce around the rabbit.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
Why on earth would anyone want to saddle a rabbit.  ???

Brad

Those must be some small cowboys....  =|

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »
Super easy- Sauerbraten (German pot roast, roughly sour beef)

Needed-
Two gallon zip top bags
1 3-4lb beef roast, should be something lean such as a top or bottom round, eye roast, etc.  Nice variation is venison or similar wild game.
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups red wine vinegar
1 large onion, sliced
1 Medium Carrot, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbs salt
1 tsp caraway seeds
4 Cloves
10 Juniper Berries
2 bay Leaves
15-20 Ginger Snap Cookies, crushed into fine crumbs

Put one of the zip top bags inside of the other to help reduce the chance of leakage.  Inside of the inner bag place everything but the cookies.  Place this into a bowl and into the fridge for minimum of two all the way up to eight days.  Every day give it a shake to slosh the marinade around the beef.  The more time it sits, the more flavor it picks up.

Once your decide it's cooking day remove the beef from the marinade and pat dry, then lightly brown in a little oil or butter on all sides.  Once browned dump the marinade into the pot with the roast, turn heat down so it lightly simmers, cover, and walk away for several hours until the beef is cooked through and tender about 3-4 hours.

Once cooked remove from the liquid and set aside to rest.  As this time also strain the remaining liquid to remove the solids.  Return the now strained marinade to the stove over a low heat and whisk in the crushed ginger snaps to thicken. The exact amount will depend on how much liquid is left and your preference. 

Slice beef and serve with the gingersnap sauce.  Best side?  Spaetzle.

Little harder but easy with some practice- Cast Iron Roast Chicken

You will need-
One cast iron skillet large enough to comfortably hold a chicken (I use a 15")
1 Fryer sized chicken and it's nasty bits bag
2 medium shallots, diced
1 Garlic Clove, chopped fine
Handful parsley chopped fine, can be augmented with other herbs to suit your taste but don't go crazy
Salt and Pepper

Place the skillet in oven and turn to 375 to preheat while doing your prep.

Sautee your shallots and garlic over medium heat in a little butter until tender and translucent, remove from heat and mix in the parsley and salt and pepper to taste, set aside in a bowl to cool while getting the chicken ready.

Remove chicken from it's packaging give ti a good rinse then dry inside and out with paper towels.  Trim any excessive skin and fat from chicken as well as the wing tips.  Also carving will be made easier if you remove the wishbone now, but it is entirely optional. Then carefully use your hands to separate the skin from the breast.  Try not to tear the skin if at all possible.  By now the shallot mixture should be cool enough to handle, use your hands to distribute the mixture under the skin of the breast as evenly as possible.  Do your best to not tear the skin and once done put the skin as closely back into position as possible.  Then truss your chicken.  How does one truss a chicken?  Look here- http://how2heroes.com/videos/techniques/trussing-a-chicken My only advice is to get the wings under the twine when they are trimmed. Once trussed season the skin with a little smear of butter, salt, and pepper. 

By now your oven though be preheated. Open the oven and put the chicken into the skilled breast side down and leaning to one of it's sides. Add the washed contents of the nasty bits (aka gizzard) bag to the pan, these add flavor to the pan for the later coming sauce.  Close oven and walk away.  1/3 through the cooking open over and rotate the bird, still on it's breast, but to the other side.  Another 1/3 through cooking rotate the bird onto it's back.  Turning the oven up to 400 will help make extra crispy skin if desired.  How long does it take to cook?  Figure on roughly 18-20 minutes per pound depending on how warm the chicken was, your oven, and a million other factors.  Best bet?  Get yourself a probe thermometer.  When inserted deep into the thigh, and not touch bone, it should read 175-180 when the bird is removed from the oven.

Once cooked remove pan from oven and set the chicken aside to rest and discard the nasty bits bag contents.  You should now be left with a bunch of chicken fat and crispy unappetizing looking stuff.  Remove all but a tablespoon or so of the chicken fat. Discard if you like or save for frying potatoes or something similar. Turn the stove to medium heat and add to the pan about a cup of water and a splash of red wine.  Whisk the liquid in the pan to dissolve all of the pan goodness into the liquid and continue cooking until it reduces down to your desired thickness. If allowed it will get fairly thick with no flour.

Carve bird and serve with the sauce.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
A good dip

1 Roll of Bob Evans Zesty Hot Sausage or whatever is your local brand
8 oz of cream cheese
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
Tostidos Scoops

Take the roll of hot sausage and crumble and cook throughly drain grease and return to LOW to MED-LOW heat.
Add cream cheese and add to the sausage melt cream cheese.
Add diced tomatos with green chiles.
Stir until throughly combined

Dip with Tostidos.

Don't reheat as the cream cheese curdles.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
Mrs. fistful's Slammin' Clam Chowder

1/4 cup peppered bacon
1 medium onion, (1/2 cup)
4 Tbsp butter
2 stalks celery
1 red or yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 clove minced garlic (1 tsp)
2 6-1/2 oz cans minced clams
1 medium red potato
1 medium Yukon Gold potato
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
parsley
celery seed
basil
seafood seasoning
1 10 oz can cream of potato condensed soup
2 cups half & half

Chop bacon, onion, celery, bell pepper and potato to desired size. Drain clams and set liquid aside. Add water to clam juice, until you have 1-1/2 cups of juice.

Cook bacon and onion in a 2-quart saucepan in butter, until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Add in celery, peppers and garlic. Cook until celery and peppers are tender. Stir in clams, clam juice, potatoes, salt, pepper, Tabasco Sauce and one dash each of parsley, celery seed, basil and seafood seasoning. Cover and simmer for fifteen minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir in potato soup and half & half. Heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Do not boil. 

Garnish each serving with fresh-ground red and/or black pepper and serve with sliced, toasted ciabatta bread. 

Copyright, Yummyface Cafe, 2009.  All rights reserved.

I guess you could make this recipe with two green peppers and two of the same type of potatoes.  But my wife is kinda into presentation. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:39:22 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
Elephant Stew  =D

1 medium elephant
1 ton of salt
1 ton of pepper
500 bu. potatoes
200 bu. carrots
4,000 sprigs parsley
2 small rabbits

Borrow a big, big pan from NASA. Rent a crane and a very large gas stove.

Cut elephant into 1 inch cubes. This will take about 2 months. Cut vegetables into cubes.(another 2 months) Using the rented crane, place meat in pan and cover with 1,000 gallons of brown gravy and cook over large gas stove for 4 weeks. Frequently shovel in generous amounts of salt and pepper. When meat is tender, add vegetables with the crane. Simmer slowly 4 more weeks.(3 if you like you veggies crispy) Garnish with parsley. Recipe will serve 3,874. But if more are expected for dinner, add the 2 rabbits. This isn't recommended, as very few people like hare in their stew!

:angel:  =D 
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »
Taco Soup (Aka Santa Fe Soup)

1 can beans each of Pinto, Kidney, black eyed peas, great northern and black beans. 
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained.
1 can of sweet corn, drained.
1-2lbs of hamburger or turkey, ground, cooked and drained.
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package of ranch dressing mix
Mix ingredients into crock pot.  Cook low for 4 hours.

Alternatives:
instead of ground meat, use 2 lbs of thinly cut steak, cut into 1" cubes.  Cook on high for 4 hours.
Spice it up, add 1 tsp-1tbs of ground red pepper.  Replace corn with 1 can "fiesta corn" and replace diced tomatoes with 1 can of "petite tomatoes with green chilis"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:07 AM »
^^^^^

Dude,  That's Lawdog Texas Chicken Soup with Hamburger instead of Chicken.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
How the heck did I miss this thread the first several times around?

This one is either loved or hated:

I guess it's a sort of world fusion borscht?  I dunno, but it's tasty.

Thin sliced venison tenderloin
Sliced peeled beets
Potatoes
Carrots
Mushrooms
Onions
Garlic
Butter
Flour
Red wine

Brown the ven, and throw in a dutch oven.  Sautee the onions and garlic and throw in the dutch oven.  Make some brown roux with the leftover grease and some added butter and pour over the top.  Peel and slice carrots, potatoes, beets, and mushrooms and pack into the dutch oven.  And S&P and pour some red wine over the top.  Tightly seal and braise for a while around 250 or so. 

A while ago I came on here looking for venison ideas, and didn't really like anything I heard.  I figured beets would go well.  I was right.  But then I like beets.  Turns out lots of people don't. 

Lately I've been doing a lot of baked oatmeal, which I'd heard about a lot but didn't bother with because it seemed like too much trouble for breakfast cereal.  It isn't.

Irish cut oatmeal, about 2 c.
Milk, about 2-3 c., depending on how long you want it to bake
Two eggs
Assorted nuts, spices, dried food, and sweeteners
A bit of salt and vanilla extract

Soak the oats overnight in water.  A little yogurt or kefir added to the soak water is a good idea.
In the morning, drain the oats.
Whisk together eggs and milk, a dash of salt and vanilla.
Stir in the oats, and some other stuff.  I use nutmeg, raisins, dried cherries, walnuts, and honey.  Sometimes dried apricots, peaches, apples.  Some people use maple syrup or brown sugar, or pecans or almonds.

Bake for a while.  I use enough milk that it takes an hour so I have time to get home from the Y, but with less milk it's ready about 40-45 minutes.   =)