Author Topic: Likely 20/20 Hit Piece On Guns - Tonight, 4/10/09  (Read 5961 times)

HankB

• friend
Likely 20/20 Hit Piece On Guns - Tonight, 4/10/09
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
It looks like 20/20 has prepared another "hit piece" on guns.

I say this without having seen it yet because I recall that some years back Ms. Sawyer did a story on "Black Talon" ammo and used computer animation that made it look as if a grapefruit-sized fan were wildly spinning its way through a human torso, zigging and zagging like a drunken figure skater on crack, to demonstrate how "deadly" this type of ammo was. So her past history of unprofessional journalistic behavior bodes ill . . .

If Only I Had a Gun
Tonight at 10:00 pm EDT ABC
A Diane Sawyer report on guns in the U.S. focuses on access to guns, the effectiveness of gun use in a crisis and the attractiveness of guns to some people.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Likely 20/20 Hit Piece On Guns - Tonight, 4/10/09
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »

Worth a look just to see of the anti-'s propaganda is improving or if it's more of the same ol' same ol'.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Worth a look just to see of the anti-'s propaganda is improving or if it's more of the same ol' same ol'.

I think it's improved.

They've moved on to trying to "dispell the notion" that someone could defend themselves from an attack.

So to prove it, they picked someone who has never had any concealed carry training or practice.

And then claim he was "experienced".

What they proved to me was the importance of practice.

They dont' see it that way, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »
I saw a commercial for this. In 30 seconds I saw at least five images of kids holding a gun and looking down the barrel. I don't think I'll be able to stomach watching it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »
Can't watch.  I'll rely on you guys for the gist, I just can't stomach that stuff anymore.  Maybe again in the future, but it just makes me an unhealthy level of POed that last for several days.   :|
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
They've moved on to trying to "dispell the notion" that someone could defend themselves from an attack.

I noticed that change of tactics about five or six years ago here in Wisconsin when we were going for CCW. Where the anti's previously said that guns were bad because they made it easy to kill, they changed their argument to CCW is bad because guns are too complicated for the average person to learn to use.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:48 PM »

I noticed that change of tactics about five or six years ago here in Wisconsin when we were going for CCW. Where the anti's previously said that guns were bad because they made it easy to kill, they changed their argument to CCW is bad because guns are too complicated for the average person to learn to use.

I hadn't heard of it being put in those words, but it doesn't surprise me. It'd hurt their widdle feewings to say to them, "Just because you're too stupid to operate a revolver/semi-auto pistol or rifle/ pump shotgun doesn't mean I am."
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 05:33:57 AM »

I hadn't heard of it being put in those words, but it doesn't surprise me. It'd hurt their widdle feewings to say to them, "Just because you're too stupid to operate a revolver/semi-auto pistol or rifle/ pump shotgun doesn't mean I am."
=D :lol: :cool: :laugh:

We wouldn't wanna hurt their little feelings!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
So nobody watched it, then?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I watched it . . .

Can you say one-sided, agenda-driven propaganda hit piece?  :mad:

They started off "training" people how to use a "real" gun loaded with Simunitions. Then they put each one in a classroom-type scenario where they were given a Glock in an ill-fitting holster "concealed" under a tight long-sleeve T-shirt - a bad guy unexpectedly burst in and started shooting people. Not one of the "students" - people who they emphasized had MORE training than most concealed weapon holders - was able to effectively deploy the weapon and stop the shooter.

Maybe the heavy gloves they were wearing were a factor . . . and of course, in one of the scenarios (just to be certain that the gun wouldn't be a lifesaver) they had a second bad guy hidden among the other "students" in the classroom who was ready to take out the test subject just in case he DID respond effectively.

To show how impossibly hard guns are to operate, they showed a snippet of the famous "Rasta Man" video ("I'm the only one in this room professional enough to . . . BANG! Owww! My foot!) to demonstrate that even police don't know what they're doing, despite lots and lots of training. So how can an untrained civilian cope?

They emphasized running away and/or playing dead. (Note: what other options are there if you've been disarmed?)

And of course, they showed that kids are idiots . . . rerunning some of the footage from years ago to show that despite Eddie Eagle training, kids played with guns. And they set up some teenagers (looked like they picked slackers/stoners) to accidentally "find" guns when they were clearing a garage; if not rehearsed, they were clearly from the shallow end of the gene pool, doing things like looking down the barrel of a .357 revolver with a flashlight to see whether or not it was loaded.  :rolleyes: (It looked rehearsed to me.)

And they had a guy - the surviving brother of one of the Virginia Tech victims - go into a gun show with $5000 cash to illustrate the "gun show loophole" by buying guns . . . after which they (of course) called a Virginia legislator to ask him why HE hadn't closed the "gun show loophole."

As expected, there wasn't the slightest attempt to present an opposing viewpoint (they claimed the NRA declined an "interview"). It was pure, unadulterated, advocacy journalism at its worst, and Ms. Sawyer showed herself to be as thoroughly unprofessional as anyone I've seen on TV pretending to the title "Journalist."

:mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »

Thanks, Hank. I had every intention of watching it but the demands of fatherhood took precedence and I couldn't get to it.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
They started off "training" people how to use a "real" gun loaded with Simunitions. Then they put each one in a classroom-type scenario where they were given a Glock in an ill-fitting holster "concealed" under a tight long-sleeve T-shirt - a bad guy unexpectedly burst in and started shooting people. Not one of the "students" - people who they emphasized had MORE training than most concealed weapon holders - was able to effectively deploy the weapon and stop the shooter.

Add to that the fact that after spending about a second, second-and-a-half shooting at the "teacher", the "gunman" targeted the "test subject", and no one else - whether the test subject returned fire or not.

They also didn't say on what grounds the NRA declined the interview, or what conditions the NRA wanted that ABC wouldn't agree to - that's called the Media Loophole, and a growing number of Americans are calling for it to be closed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
hey also didn't say on what grounds the NRA declined the interview, or what conditions the NRA wanted that ABC wouldn't agree to - that's called the Media Loophole, and a growing number of Americans are calling for it to be closed.

As mentioned, my blood pressure couldn't handle watching it, so thanks to those of you with a stronger constitution than me doing so and reporting to us.

Based on what you all are saying, I'm glad the NRA did decline the interview. It sounds like it would have been a loser proposition for them no matter how well prepared and logical they were.

I'm interested in who did the "training". I've never taken a combat handgun course myself, but I would think someone that had a couple of days of Gunsite (or similar) training would have shown the class a thing or two.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »

Yeah.  Apparently, criminals take special classes, 'cause guns seem to work ok for them. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Yeah.  Apparently, criminals take special classes, 'cause guns seem to work ok for them. 

It's a part of the standard curriculum at criminal school. Block three I believe, right after breaking and entering.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
They didn't show much of the training. They said it was conducted by a police firearms instructor. What they did show looked like crap. It looked like maybe a few minutes of static marksmanship with some minimal (EXTREMELY MINIMAL, by the look) holster/concealment work. They staged the whole thing by offering training to students at one university or another; after the range session, they went into a classroom, ostensibly to go over the Simunitions safety gear (this was the pretense they used to ensure the test subject had his gear on). As soon as the class put on their masks, the "gunman" burst into the room.

The concealment garments the students wore were class-issued, practically knee-length T-shirts.

Now that I think about it, the classroom was probably chosen for its layout. It was one of those Victorian style lecture rooms, tiered and in a narrow U shape with long counters, rather than individual desks. There was no place to go except under the desktop and along the U, which naturally funneled the victims right to the shooter.

None of the test subjects had had any proper tactical training. Even the most experienced shooter had had only static range time.

They made sure to point out that even the minimal training they gave was "more than 'X' states require for their concealed weapon permits".

And progressive, knows-better-than-you "Omar" took those $5000 worth of guns right to the Richmond PD and turned them in as soon as they "wrapped". :rolleyes:

They also made special note about stray bullets having the potential to hit bystanders, with the "police firearms instructor" giving the standard "you're responsible for every bullet" speech. This really burned me. Who invariably fires the most stray rounds in a shootout? And when was the last time a cop did time or paid a penny out of his own pocket for any damage caused by one of his strays? :mad:

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »
I didn't watch it. Couldn't. But according to the comments I've been reading, the show was not a success and they didn't fool anybody.

http://www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/news/american-entertainment/if-i-only-had-a-gun-on-abc-news-2020-410/comment-page-1/#comment-51739
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
Sorry to keep veering off-topic.

That's one of the points the anti's kept making. The said that the criminals have more training with guns than regular citizens.

Really? Where do the criminals train? Is there a Gangstah Ranch somewhere out west where they go to learn gun handling skills? Is there a quarry in the ghetto? If they're so well-trained, why do they keep missing their targets and hitting innocent people?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »
ABC just played a 'gun show loophole' piece - gave the brother of somebody killed at VT $5k to buy guns - he bought a glock from somebody before he even got INTO the gunshow, and came out with like 6 guns.

They kept going on about 'private dealers' - even had a ATF agent saying all that they did was legal.  But isn't dealing firearms without a license illegal?  Isn't it likely that the guy trolled around enough that he found a few individuals looking to get rid of some guns?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
I didn't watch it. Couldn't. But according to the comments I've been reading, the show was not a success and they didn't fool anybody.

The few comments I read sounded like they came from CCW holders, or at least pro-gunners.  You wouldn't expect many anti-gunners or fence-sitters to log on and make a comment. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
I did not watch it, but reading the description it sounds like another case where the mess media types are saying:

You are incompetent and hopeless. Your only option is cowardice. FLEE! HIDE! Let the government do it. Do not get in the way, you will fail.

They have been doing this for decades, on all manner of issues. If you treated a kid like this what kind of a grown-up would you get?

That's the kind of person the media and the government want: Some slobbering nincompoop who is dependent on others for everything.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »
ABC just played a 'gun show loophole' piece - gave the brother of somebody killed at VT $5k to buy guns - he bought a glock from somebody before he even got INTO the gunshow, and came out with like 6 guns.

They kept going on about 'private dealers' - even had a ATF agent saying all that they did was legal.  But isn't dealing firearms without a license illegal?  Isn't it likely that the guy trolled around enough that he found a few individuals looking to get rid of some guns?

On the nosie!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »
I did not watch it, but reading the description it sounds like another case where the mess media types are saying:

They have been doing this for decades, on all manner of issues. If you treated a kid like this what kind of a grown-up would you get?

That's the kind of person the media and the government want: Some slobbering nincompoop who is dependent on others for everything.
Judging by the brain donors in the garage clearing exercise, they're succeeding in spades.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:14 PM »
NEWS FLASH: I just saw a commercial that "60 Minutes" is supposed to run a show on Sunday (Easter?!?!) night that has a segment about the increase in gun purchases despite the economic downturn.

WHAT a coincidence!  :rolleyes:

As for the 20/20 program . . .
They also didn't say on what grounds the NRA declined the interview, or what conditions the NRA wanted that ABC wouldn't agree to . . .
Probably the NRA insisted that the interview be aired unedited, the arrogant paranoid b******s!

With creative editing, the media could have made the late Mother Teresa sound like a cross between Simon Legree and Hannibal Lector, with a little Attila the Hun thrown in . . . so imagine what they'd do to an NRA spokesperson.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:02:20 PM by HankB »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
We've done a pretty good job over the past decade and a half making the gun issue political Plutonium. We obviously need to do the same for the press.

Grind them down, make life so miserable for them they move onto other things. Attack the advertisers, clog their mail rooms, switchboards and mail-servers, block their sidewalks and lobbies. A little public information on the editors of newspapers who've published the "public information" CCW lists in various states. We wouldn't even have to keep it up that long. The paleo-media continues to wither and die. Of course there is the persistent problem that the gun-owning productive class is always too busy for this sort of thing, being well... productive. Not sure what to do about that.

Furthermore, for the sake of argument, I'll accept every contention of the anti-RKBA press. I don't care. Our rights and freedom are more important than every last innocent life lost, or person maimed.

There I said it.

I don't care.

I promise not to duck.