Author Topic: Navy Thwarts Pirate Attack on U.S. Cargo Ship  (Read 3019 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Navy Thwarts Pirate Attack on U.S. Cargo Ship
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Navy Thwarts Pirate Attack on U.S. Cargo Ship

By  TAMER EL-GHOBASHY
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/us_world/NATLUS-Cargo-Ship-Hijacked-Near-Somalia-Coast-Officials.html?

The U.S. Navy successfully repelled an attack by Somali pirates who attempted to hijack an American owned cargo ship Tuesday by firing rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons at the vessel, officials said.

No one was injured during the brazen attack, but the targeted ship was damaged, officials from Liberty Maritime Corporation of Lake Success said in a statement.

"We are grateful and pleased that no one was injured and the crew and the ship are safe," the statement from the Long Island based company said. "We have communicated with the families of the crew to inform them of these developments. We commend the entire crew for its professionalism and poise under fire."

The attack on the Liberty Sun occurred about 300 miles off the coast of Somalia, U.S. officials told NBC News.

"The pirates pretty much shot up the bridge, but no one was hurt," according to one source. The crew immediately requested assistance from the Navy, which dispatched forces that were able to thwart the pirates.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Navy Thwarts Pirate Attack on U.S. Cargo Ship
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
The U.S. Navy successfully repelled an attack by Somali pirates who attempted to hijack an American owned cargo ship Tuesday by firing rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons at the vessel, officials said.

Why was the Navy shooting RPG's and automatic weapons at the ship... and why would that make the pirates stop? ???

=D ;/

Sloppy paragraph.

Way to go, Navy!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
The US needs to issue letters of marque. That, and/or allow all US ships to sail under arms, and tell the international community to deal with it, or they don't get cargo from us. Not entirely sure of the logistics of that last bit, but what we are doing right now is the same experiment we rail against when Chicago does it. That is, allow the criminals to arm themselves, while honest people wait for rescue/protection from the cops.
Hi.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
"Thwart" sounds like an insufficient response to pirates shooting up the bridge with RPGs and automatic weapons.
For entertainment purposes only.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »
So, um, does thwart mean they blew the pirates away or does it mean they just ran them off?  I'm hoping the no casualties statement only applies to the navy and cargo ship crew.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
It means they left the pirates athwartships.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »
We need some P3's with CBU's loitering around the area..... they could probably spend 8+ hours on station, and when needed mosey over and drop a CBU. I was on one that dropped a CBU on an old destroyer for training....pretty impressive.

Seems too simple, so it probably is.

bob

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »
I hope it keeps going this way for us.   :angel:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:36:46 AM »
Why was the Navy shooting RPG's and automatic weapons at the ship... and why would that make the pirates stop?

It is an application of the Nuke the moon theory.

Pity we've not any battleships left to park off the Somali coast.  Just as a Good Will Gesture of course....
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
Rather than "thwart" I would've preferred to see the words "sank," "killed," "blew up," or "obliterated" to describe what the Navy did to the pirates.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »
this report seems to be contradictory, although more clearly written.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

Liberty Sun sailors used the same tactic Phillips employed to foil the pirates — blockading themselves inside the engine room.

"We are under attack by pirates, we are being hit by rockets. Also bullets," crewman Thomas Urbik, 26, wrote his mother in an e-mail Tuesday. "We are barricaded in the engine room and so far no one is hurt. (A) rocket penetrated the bulkhead but the hole is small. Small fire, too, but put out."

The Liberty Sun "conducted evasive maneuvers" to ward off the pirates, said U.S. Navy Lt. Nathan Christensen, spokesman for the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.

"That could be anything from zigzagging to speeding up to all kinds of things," he said. "We've seen in the past that that can be very effective in deterring a pirate attack."

The USS Bainbridge responded but the pirates had left by the time it arrived five hours later, Navy Capt. Jack Hanzlik said.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

crt360

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
The USS Bainbridge responded but the pirates had left by the time it arrived five hours later, Navy Capt. Jack Hanzlik said.

So, theoretically, if I had been called and and came zipping by on a jet ski a few hours after the pirates left, I could claim to have thwarted the attack?  Interesting.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
We need some P3's with CBU's loitering around the area..... they could probably spend 8+ hours on station, and when needed mosey over and drop a CBU. I was on one that dropped a CBU on an old destroyer for training....pretty impressive.

Seems too simple, so it probably is.

bob
That was probably MY ship you @%#$&&!! It wasn't THAT old!  :mad:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
So, theoretically, if I had been called and and came zipping by on a jet ski a few hours after the pirates left, I could claim to have thwarted the attack?  Interesting.

Yeah, but who the heck would call you on your bat-jetski?  :laugh:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:37:59 PM »
Yeah, but who the heck would call you on your bat-jetski?  :laugh:

You really think the seelz took out the three bad guys all by themselves?  :cool:  Yeah, they got my number.

:laugh: