Author Topic: Message from 9th circuit  (Read 14217 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Message from 9th circuit
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
What is the practical impact of this ruling then?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
He's so cute when he's getting uppity about NY or Linux.  :laugh:

Yeah, in NY you have to have a permit just to buy a gun to keep in your home, in NYC that could be a very long wait.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Yeah, try to keep up gunsmith.  I was posting on this yesterday.

Because I'm unemployed right now and have lots of time... =|

=D

I would have posted first but missed it due to going to work early to get my paycheck that they made me wait hours for.
I've been out of real work for a long time, first paycheck in months and this decision means I can breathe a little easier that AWB won't get implemented before I can buy more guns again
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »
The 2nd Amendment, recognizing an individual right to keep and bear arms via the USSC in Heller, has now been ruled to apply to the states, not just the Federal government.

This sets precedent (not controlling outside of the 9th Circuit but still persuasive) that the right should be incorporated against all the states.  This provides support that several other District Courts with current cases regarding the 2nd should also treat it as incorporated.

Worst case, one doesn't and it sets the stage for the USSC to rule on the controversy.

The 9th, like the USSC, also implied a standard of review higher than mere "reasonability", when addressed by more "pro-gun" courts that may open the way for them to decide to use "strict scrutiny" as the appropriate method.  Again, that could send it to the USSC to make that Strict Scrut. interp. nationwide.

So, immediate effects?  Not many.  Practical effects?  Big as is, and potentially HUGE.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:01 PM »
What is the practical impact of this ruling then?

Way to much, I'm overwhelmed...
read here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
Maybe now common people in Iowa can own NFA weapons and with our "may issue" concealed carry permits, Sheriffs will have to issue permits to anyone who wants one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »
The decision reads pretty much like this to me:

Yeah - we (the twisted justices of the 9th circuit court) will go ahead and incorporate the 2nd into the 14th.

But don't go jumpin for joy over it because just making a right harder to exercise isn't an infringement.

So...

Nana nana nana - big deal we incorporated it. We still aren't gonna trash laws that make it harder and harder to exercise yur beloved 2nd amendment rights because harder isn't infringment - so there!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »
What part of "exercising the right to keep and bear arms" was infringed by allowing the County to not allow a gun show on the fairgrounds?

None.

Gun shows are still legal in Alameda county.  That was the only thing covered in this particular lawsuit. 

There is no Constitutional obligation for the government to facilitate the exercise of rights, it simply cannot unreasonable restrict them.  There's no "right to hold a commercial gun show on any given particular piece of property when other properties are also available" implicit or explicit in the 2nd Amendment.

It is a GOOD thing when Courts restrict themselves to ruling solely on the question in front of them.

Concealed carry, AWB, waiting periods and the like will (and should) be covered by OTHER cases and lawsuits.  This ruling makes those cases easier to win.

Cripes people, some of you would bitch if given $1,000 free cash if the bills weren't faced properly.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
Yeah, in NY you have to have a permit just to buy a gun to keep in your home, in NYC that could be a very long wait.

That's only handguns and as I said, permit is relatively easy to get in most of the state and good for life.

No registration/permits for long guns.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »
What part of "exercising the right to keep and bear arms" was infringed by allowing the County to not allow a gun show on the fairgrounds?

None.

Gun shows are still legal in Alameda county.  That was the only thing covered in this particular lawsuit. 

There is no Constitutional obligation for the government to facilitate the exercise of rights, it simply cannot unreasonable restrict them.  There's no "right to hold a commercial gun show on any given particular piece of property when other properties are also available" implicit or explicit in the 2nd Amendment.

It is a GOOD thing when Courts restrict themselves to ruling solely on the question in front of them.

Concealed carry, AWB, waiting periods and the like will (and should) be covered by OTHER cases and lawsuits.  This ruling makes those cases easier to win.

Cripes people, some of you would bitch if given $1,000 free cash if the bills weren't faced properly.

To me, gun shows are "free speech" zones where we gunnies "assemble" & talk about politicians, a first amendment issue too, & the Alemeda Fairgrounds do not restrict other groups, just gunnies...sue em again.....1st amendment this time

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
That's only handguns and as I said, permit is relatively easy to get in most of the state and good for life.

No registration/permits for long guns.

really? whats this then?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml
isn't that a permit?
in NV I don't need no stinking permit for a shotgun in my own house or car
heck, as long as its CA legal shotties and rifles are permit free in CA
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:09:57 AM by gunsmith »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:11 PM »
To me, gun shows are "free speech" zones where we gunnies "assemble" & talk about politicians, a first amendment issue too, & the Alemeda Fairgrounds do not restrict other groups, just gunnies...sue em again.....1st amendment this time

That might be a good suit.  In fact Alameda allows possession of guns on the fairgrounds under certain circumstances.  The generating reason for their policy was a Scottish heritage thing that had blank-firing black powder military recreations.  The permitting involves a lot of "locked up when not in use and under the possession of the weapon owner at all times" verbiage.  The criteria as written would be tough to meet and actually have sales going on.

Also I think the primary commercial purpose of a gun show might have it be considered a bit different than a straight "assembly for the sake of assembly".  After all, you have to be allowed to, say, protest, on some public grounds but they don't have to allow you to sell t-shirts there.

I recommend folks go take a look at the posts and comments at the Volokh Conspiracy blog for legal takes by real lawyers.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 01:16:49 AM »
I think it's more of a "equal access" issue than a 2nd Amendment issue.  I.e, if they open the fairgrounds up for use by other groups for similar purposes (a commercial show of some type - like a monster truck rally or a non-state or county sponsored ag show), they have to allow other groups to use it for similar purposes as well.  So it could be possible for them to sue for those reasons rather than under 2nd amendment grounds.  So the ruling was probably correct - the 2nd amendment doesn't apply under this particular case.

The fact that this netted us incorporation in the 9th circuit though, is freaking HUGE.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 01:58:39 AM »
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175296

Several hundred responses in that thread.  I'm still working through the case, but it seems a very significant decision.  Especially coming from the Moonbat Circuit!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »
really? whats this then?
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml
isn't that a permit?
in NV I don't need no stinking permit for a shotgun in my own house or car
heck, as long as its CA legal shotties and rifles are permit free in CA

That's NYC, a far off and distant planet.
We were talking about NY.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »
Maybe now common people in Iowa can own NFA weapons and with our "may issue" concealed carry permits, Sheriffs will have to issue permits to anyone who wants one.

Alright, what is this?  THR?

Geez, Charby, don't get me started. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
Alright, what is this?  THR?

Geez, Charby, don't get me started. =D

Why not? Here in Iowa if you want a CCW it depends upon who your sheriff is. Some sheriffs will issue to anyone who isn't a criminal while others only issue to law officers and elected officals. Some restrict the permit to worthlessness.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Why not? Here in Iowa if you want a CCW it depends upon who your sheriff is. Some sheriffs will issue to anyone who isn't a criminal while others only issue to law officers and elected officals. Some restrict the permit to worthlessness.

I love PA.  It's codified that if the sheriff doesn't grant your LTCF (assuming you're not a criminal, crazy or a habitual drunk) within 45 days and for a fixed cost, they're committing a crime.  No one below state level may infringe on the 2A or the State constitution, and to do so is a crime.   Some of us keep hoping Philly tries to push through some bit of gun control, so we can arrest everyone involved.    =D

Seriously, though.  Is there any reason why Iowa made that system?   And what happens if the sheriff who granted your CCW leaves office?  Can the new sheriff revoke your permit without cause?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
ISeriously, though.  Is there any reason why Iowa made that system?   And what happens if the sheriff who granted your CCW leaves office?  Can the new sheriff revoke your permit without cause?

If the sheriff's would follow the spirit of the law then we wouldn't have a problem. Basically a permit should be issued to anyone who fits this.

724.8  PERSONS ELIGIBLE FOR PERMIT TO CARRY WEAPONS.

No person shall be issued a professional or nonprofessional permit
      to carry weapons unless:
         1.  The person is eighteen years of age or older.
         2.  The person has never been convicted of a felony.
         3.  The person is not addicted to the use of alcohol or any
      controlled substance.
         4.  The person has no history of repeated acts of violence.
         5.  The issuing officer reasonably determines that the applicant
      does not constitute a danger to any person.
         6.  The person has never been convicted of any crime defined in
      chapter 708, except "assault" as defined in section 708.1 and
      "harassment" as defined in section 708.7. 

But because of this the Sheriff has total discretion

724.11  ISSUANCE OF PERMIT TO CARRY WEAPONS.
         Applications for permits to carry weapons shall be made to the
      sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.  Applications
      from persons who are nonresidents of the state, or whose need to go
      armed arises out of employment by the state, shall be made to the
      commissioner of public safety.  In either case, the issuance of the
      permit shall be by and at the discretion of the sheriff or
      commissioner, who shall, before issuing the permit, determine that
      the requirements of sections 724.6 to 724.10 have been satisfied.

However, the training program requirements in section 724.9 may be
      waived for renewal permits.  The issuing officer shall collect a fee
      of ten dollars, except from a duly appointed peace officer or
      correctional officer, for each permit issued.  Renewal permits or
      duplicate permits shall be issued for a fee of five dollars.  The
      issuing officer shall notify the commissioner of public safety of the
      issuance of any permit at least monthly and forward to the
      commissioner an amount equal to two dollars for each permit issued
      and one dollar for each renewal or duplicate permit issued.  All such
      fees received by the commissioner shall be paid to the treasurer of
      state and deposited in the operating account of the department of
      public safety to offset the cost of administering this chapter.  Any
      unspent balance as of June 30 of each year shall revert to the
      general fund as provided by section 8.33. 

So yes if the Sheriff leaves office the incoming Sheriff could pull your permit if they wanted too, usually the new sheriff is against issuing CCW then they don't renew anyone, my father had that happen to him in the 1980's when my home county sheriff was defeated in the election. Pissed a whole lot of people off.

Uranus is a gas giant.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
Sorry, I don't think Nordyke helps out in Iowa yet, but there is a case coming up that should...I can't remember the name off hand.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (in case citations, 9th Cir.) is a federal court with appellate jurisdiction over the district courts in the following districts:

* District of Alaska
    * District of Arizona
    * Central District of California
    * Eastern District of California
    * Northern District of California
    * Southern District of California
    * District of Hawaii
    * District of Idaho
    * District of Montana
    * District of Nevada
    * District of Oregon
    * Eastern District of Washington
    * Western District of Washington

It also has appellate jurisdiction over the following territorial courts:

* District Court of Guam
    * United States District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands

Headquartered in San Francisco, California, USA, the Ninth Circuit is by far the largest of the thirteen courts of appeals, with 29 active judgeships. The court's regular meeting places are Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Pasadena, but panels of the court occasionally travel to hear cases in other locations within its territorial jurisdiction. Although the judges travel around the circuit, the court arranges its hearings so that cases from the northern region of the circuit are heard in Seattle or Portland, cases from southern California are heard in Pasadena, and cases from northern California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii are heard in San Francisco. For lawyers who must come and present their cases to the court in person, this administrative grouping of cases helps to reduce the time and cost of travel.

Hawaii and Guam have lots of gun control, this could be interesting

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 02:21:13 PM »
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175296

Several hundred responses in that thread.  I'm still working through the case, but it seems a very significant decision.  Especially coming from the Moonbat Circuit!

Go to http://volokh.com/  for good legal beagling of the topic. 

Great blog overall, Volokh has a good article up for publishing he's previewing on the site discussing liberalizing carry and possession rules (even for minors and felons) for non-lethal weapons like sprays and stun guns / tasers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 04:10:33 AM »
This is of course a bit of a gravedig, but I think it's reasonable to bump this old thread with some related news links.

http://www.saysuncle.com/2009/12/30/hamblen-loses-appeal/

A federal appeals court has denied a Tennessee state guardsman’s motion to overturn his conviction for possession of nine machine guns.

The ruling from the 6th U.S. Circuit in Cincinnati states that Richard Hamblen built the guns himself out of parts from a kit after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks because he believed the guard was not well equipped with weapons.

Hamblen was charged in 2005 for unlawfully possessing machine guns and for possessing unregistered firearms. He was given a 15 month sentence followed by two years of supervised release.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
This is of course a bit of a gravedig, but I think it's reasonable to bump this old thread with some related news links.

http://www.saysuncle.com/2009/12/30/hamblen-loses-appeal/

Unfortunately it's not much of a test-case.

As written, Heller vs. D.C., even with 14th Amendment incorporation wouldn't have helped him. Plus the (presumed, on my part) fact that he did nothing to make those machine guns available to his guard unit makes his defense seem rather specious to me.

The guys who are making MG's trying to use only intrastate commerce in parts, then attempting to register them with the NFA as a post-'86 MG, being denied, then suing for standing have a much better chance. Even then though, courts have ruled on a wide number of cases as applied to the Interstate Commerce Clause that even completely intrastate items affect interstate commerce.

They'll have better luck going after the '86 MG freeze poison pill in the FOPA that they merely wish to comply with the '34 NFA, and that Heller guarantees the right, while still permitting the restrictions.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 05:15:41 AM »