Author Topic: The Bare Foot is Good. The Nike is Evil.  (Read 10345 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: The Bare Foot is Good. The Nike is Evil.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »
I submit to you that an 8 oz. potato, 6 oz. of salad, a few oz of bread and a 12 oz steak meets a "mostly plants" goal.

Feed the salad and the potato to the meat before the slaughter, then you can have a 26oz steak with all the benefits.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
I've had some problems with foot pain in the past when I've walked more than a mile on a soft surface, like the rubber track at school, in my current pair of New Balance walking shoes. When my feet started hurting today I took them off and walked around in my socks. The pain went away.

There's something to this barefoot thing. I think for my next pair I plan on getting something with a thinner, flatter sole.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
Come to think of it, the ugly little Asics they issued to us in boot camp were pretty minimal in padding. And they were great shoes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
I'm actually going to take a look at those "five fingers" shoes: they look comfy...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »
I know there's no accounting for style, but a lot of skateboarding shoes are basically slippers. Even downhill speed skateboarders can be seen wearing the flimsiest canvas Vans. You really need to be able to feel the board and the road beneath the board and what's going on with your wheels' grip. I saw those 5 fingers and they don't look terribly confortable to me, partly because my toes are all broken and deformed.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
So I took a look at them: fairly thin rubber sole, and thinner footbed between you and the ground. They really ARE like going barefoot...

Wearing 'em now. They take some getting used to, but they are (to me, anyway) fairly comfy. YMMV

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
So I took a look at them: fairly thin rubber sole, and thinner footbed between you and the ground. They really ARE like going barefoot...

Wearing 'em now. They take some getting used to, but they are (to me, anyway) fairly comfy. YMMV

Which model did you end up going with? I'm interested in trying a pair out when I have some spare cash to spend on footwear.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
Me, too, though I'm concerned about sizing. (High insteps and about half a size difference between feet). Really neet concept.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
I got the KSO. Sizing isn't too much of a problem, if you buy 'em at a store. They DO take getting used to though...

And going from 5 Fingers to my riding boots is a bit of a trip: I feel like I've got these big chunks of ice strapped to my feet...

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 05:13:03 AM »
I submit to you that an 8 oz. potato, 6 oz. of salad, a few oz of bread and a 12 oz steak meets a "mostly plants" goal.

Advantage Carberry.  :laugh:

well, even if you eat ( say ) a deer, you're eating the same  plants the deer ate.
only now its deer meat, same as all energy is really solar energy
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »
The biggest problem with the 5fingers is the whole separating the toes thing.  I go absolutely nuts when i have my socks bunch up between my toes.  I have to stop whatever it is I'm doing and fix it.  I can't function with things between my toes.

As for running, my biggest problem has been my ankles.  Well, that and plantar fasciitis.  I'm not sure how much of the PF is caused by my shoes.  I've always worn Asics because they have the best arch support for my feet.  After reading OP, I've tried running in my Adidas Sambas.  If you know them, you know they are flat-soled with absolutely no support.  I really haven't noticed much of a difference.  And it's hard to tell if they're affecting my ankles because ever since I crashed my bike, the left one hurts all the time anyway.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:45 AM »
The best running shoes I remember ever using were thin soled and fairly hard with little padding.  They were Nikes.  :)

My biggest problem with padded shoes is the padding always collapses in the heal and leaves me with all my weight on the middle of my foot which hurts.  I hadn't thought of just buying cheap thin soled shoes.  I'll have to look at that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
A possible between-barefoot-and-wearing-shoes alternative:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
Those look comfortable and I like the concept.  Sort of like moccasins.  Do they have something without the five separate toes? 

Some sort of a high top version would be good also.  There is a lot poison ivy in the woods where I grew up.  I guess it wouldn't work well with socks.  Maybe some sort of moccasins with a tougher bottom sole would be best.

It seems to me that I have read books that indicated a tracker could tell if a person always wore boots/shoes versus moccasins versus going barefoot based on how their toes were spread in their foot prints. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:05:05 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
I too would be more interested in a mocassin-type shoe than the 5-fingers stuff, especially a high-topped one.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
well, even if you eat ( say ) a deer, you're eating the same  plants the deer ate.
only now its deer meat, same as all energy is really solar energy

What are ya, an existentialist?  Some kind of philosophizin' hippy?  =D

I believe the plants have vitamins and nutrients and such that don't always remain once converted into protein.  I don't think we can live on a straight protein diet.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
If you want something with a higher top and no "toes", go with moccasins...

I had the same thought about the five fingers: a higher top would be nice for going out into the woods. But it's not something that they've come out with yet.

The separate toes take a lil' getting used to, but actually feel more natural (at least to me). About the only activity they've felt weird with was driving: having the toes wrap around the side of the gas pedal was odd at first.

There ARE socks available, but they're pricey...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Now I just have to figure out who sells decent moccasins.  :)

I might try those shoes if they aren't too expensive.  There is a store in Houston that carries them apparently.  Something to mow the grass in and do other stuff around the house at the very least. 

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:25 AM »
Hmm... Thin flat soles... Hey! That'd be my Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars!

I haven't owned a pair since I was a kid, but a few years ago on a trip to Florida I needed something lighter than combat boots (I had cowboy boots,  but they look silly with shorts). So I bought a pair. I've been wearing the heck out of them and I like it. I've forgotten just how comfortable they are...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein