Author Topic: 90,000 die each year...in the U.S.!  (Read 2681 times)

telewinz

• friend
90,000 die each year...in the U.S.!
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:34:32 PM »
90,000 Americans die every year from resistant bacterial infections they pick-up IN THE HOSPITAL!  That's many more people than die from diabetes!  2,000,000 become ill due to hospitals poor personal hygiene!Simple cure...the staff needs to wash their hands more often!  Go figure!

Deaths-Leading Causes

(Data are for U.S. for year indicated)

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart Disease: 696,947

Cancer: 557,271

Stroke: 162,672

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,816

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 106,742

HOSPITAL INFECTIONS....90,000!

Diabetes: 73,249

Influenza/Pneumonia: 65,681

Alzheimer's disease: 58,866

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 40,974

Septicemia: 33,865
Career Corrections

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
Yep.

Antibiotics, the once heralded wonder drug, aren't so wonderful anymore...

It's  not simply a case of "people needing to wash their hands more often," though.

That's only part of it.

Let's face it, hospitals are where sick people are. People get sick in hospitals.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »
My sil just found out she has Hepatitis C.  She has been going into the hospital for body scans as she is recovering from cancer.  The scans are to keep everyone apprised to her health so if she has a reoccurance they'll be right on it.
Now she has Hepatitis C.  The only logical place she could contract that is the hospital.  She doesn't drink, smoke, use drugs etc.  Has always been a "good girl".  No other expaination.  My brother is pissed.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Yep.

It's  not simply a case of "people needing to wash their hands more often," though.

That's only part of it.

According to CDC it is pretty much that simple, doctors and nurses are just too sloppy.
Career Corrections

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:58:03 PM »
You do realize that the reason the people die from these infections in the hospital is because they arent dying from the horrible disease that they walked into the hospital with, right?

People end up dying of antibiotic-resistant bacteria because that is on the short list of things that you can still die from. If those people didnt go to the hospital they would have simply died sooner from whaver caused them to have to go to the hospital in the first place.

According to CDC it is pretty much that simple, doctors and nurses are just too sloppy.
wanna provide a source for this piece of libel?

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:08:26 PM »
Never go to a doctor's office or a hospital. They're full of sick people! Cheesy

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 06:39:32 PM »
Things like this, along with Avian flu and Terror attacks, make me glad I made the move down here to BFE (Mayberry).

It may not be an ironclad strategic advantage, but we'll be some of the last folks east of the Mississippi River to pick up spreading diseases.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 08:12:58 PM »
I still think it has more to do with that is where the sick people are.

You have a better chance of getting shot in a war zone than out around town.  Why?  More bullets flying around.

Same for getting sick.  Sure you can catch those sporadic diseases out walking around, but if you go to whre they are concentrated, I would think the odds go up.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:33:34 AM »
c_yeager..."wanna provide a source for this piece of libel?"

ASK and YOU SHALL RECEIVE, now don't you feel foolish?  It's only libel IF it's not TRUE!

libelous

ADJECTIVE: Law. Damaging to the reputation: calumnious, defamatory, detractive, injurious, invidious, scandalous, slanderous.

CHICAGO SUN TIMES
Poor hospital hygiene enough to make you ill
Published: September 25, 2005

The report, in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, focuses on a large and deadly group of infections, including acinetobacter. How big is your risk? In the United States, one out of every 20 hospital patients gets an infection, which kills as many people in our country as AIDS, breast cancer and auto accidents combined -- an estimated 103,000 deaths each year. Amazingly, these infections are almost all preventable. They spread rapidly through hospitals because of poor hygiene: unclean hands, lax procedures and contaminated equipment.  Research shows that doctors fail to clean their hands before treating a patient 52 percent of the time(1). Stethoscopes, blood pressure monitors and other equipment are often used on one patient after another without being cleaned, and even doctors' lab coats and nurses' uniforms transport germs from bedside to bedside.

THE TIMES UNION
Deaths drive call for cure
Ex-lieutenant governor leads group urging cleaner practices at hospitals to fight germs
By MATT PACENZA, Staff writer

ALBANY -- Pat Moore's 28-year-old son, Brad, went into an Orange County hospital with a head injury after he was mugged nearly three years ago. Three weeks later, he died.  The culprit was not his head wound but an infection from staphylococcus aureus, a common bacteria that can be deadly if it enters the body at a vulnerable point -- like near the incision doctors made when they inserted a tube to help Brad Moore
breathe.  Joining her was former Lt. Gov. Betsy McCaughey, a health policy researcher who recently formed the Committee to Reduce Infection Deaths. The committee is pushing the state's hospitals to improve their hygiene to save lives.  Two million Americans get infections in hospitals each year, and about 103,000 die, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.   Of particular concern is MRSA,
strains of staphylococcus aureus that have proved to be resistant to nearly all antibiotic treatments.  There is no mystery as to how to combat hospital infections from regular staph or from MRSA, according to RID.   Improving staff hand-washing, systematically disinfecting furniture and equipment, and requiring doctors and nurses to wear disposable aprons can cut rates substantially(1).

THE NEW YORK TIMES
Coming Clean
INFECTIONS that have been nearly eradicated in some other countries are raging through hospitals here in the United States. The major reason? Poor hygiene (1). In fact, hygiene is so inadequate in most American hospitals that one out of every 20 patients contracts an infection during a hospital stay. Hospital infections kill an estimated 103,000 people in the United States a year, as many as AIDS, breast cancer and auto accidents combined.

1] Interview with Nicole Coffin, spokesperson for the CDC, Infectious Diseases Division, October 10, 2002 (404-639-2888); See also
Carlo Marena, M.D., et.al., "Assessment of Handwashing Practices with Chemical and Microbiological Agents," American Journal of Infection Control,
(October, 2002) vol. 30., no. 6.; Didier M. Pillet, M.D., "Improving Adherence to Hand Hygiene," Journal of Emerging Infectious Diseases vol. 4, no. 3.; Leela C. Blanbt, E. Louise Teare, William W. Williams, Jeremy D. Tuite, "Eradication of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus by 'ring fencing' of elective orthopedic beds," British Medical Journal vol. 329 (July 17, 2004).
Career Corrections

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 05:29:04 AM »
You stated that all nosocomial infections are the result of poor hygene among physicians and nurses, then you provide a "source" that does not corroborate this conclusion. Wanna try again? Or are you hoping that your own confidence will mask your poor grasp of the facts?

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 05:33:40 AM »
People end up dying of antibiotic-resistant bacteria because that is on the short list of things that you can still die from. If those people didnt go to the hospital they would have simply died sooner from whaver caused them to have to go to the hospital in the first place.
Hospital acquired infections are in the 2 million per year range, accounting for some 20,000 deaths.
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic1619.htm

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »
I'm at work- so I can't look this up (No evil g*n sites)...

How many people die each year from accidental g*n deaths?

How about my lic. owners?

Is this safer?

This COULD be the ultimate in irony, eh?
One day at a time.

Robert Sears

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 01:10:40 PM »
These bacteria aren't just in hospitals. My brother is a peditrician in the largest clinic between Houston and Corpus Christi, Tx. He says that when he 1st started practice a dozen or so yrs ago he didn't see any. Five yrs ago it was once or twice a yr. Now he sees them almost regularly. He is talking about patients that come in with boils. His advice is, yes wash your hands and if you get a boil, get in ad see your doc early and have it lanced and cultures run. There are still sveral  antibiotics that work.

Bob

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 12:16:53 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
You stated that all nosocomial infections are the result of poor hygene among physicians and nurses, then you provide a "source" that does not corroborate this conclusion. Wanna try again? Or are you hoping that your own confidence will mask your poor grasp of the facts?
Did you leave your tin foil hat at work?
Career Corrections

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 04:35:20 AM »
Quote from: telewinz
Quote from: c_yeager
Did you leave your tin foil hat at work?
So its gonna be the latter then i take it?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 09:20:06 AM »
I'm starting to wonder, though...

My oldest stepson, age 25, has become a clean freak, obsessing to the point that he only dries his hands on new paper towels, eschews daylight, contact with other people, barbers, public locations, takes extra-long and steamy hot showers, etc.

A regular long-haired Howard Hughes, in my own opinion.  But if he eliminates his exposure to everyday bacteria and germs the way he's going at it, I'm curious if he'll have enough antibodies left in his system once he decides to venture forth in this big wide world.  This will happen sometime between next January and May, when I leave Florida for a new post-retirement career.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 10:35:07 AM »
A side note: About 113,000 persons die yearly in the US from the effects of prescription drugs.

The figure for death from overdose of illegal drugs is usually about 4,000+-.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:01:05 PM »
good show,  c_yeager .

Paddy

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »