Author Topic: Protect your unborn baby - okay in OK  (Read 10773 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Protect your unborn baby - okay in OK
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »
KD5NRH - OK.  Just so long as we are not perfusing Ladysmith any more than she already is.  It would be a tragedy if an innocent were killed by an errant shoe.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
The requirement that an intentional termination be the mother's own action or an authorised medical procedure performed by a doctor protects any third party who might step in and use force to keep the mother from being punched in the stomach, in case she later claims she wanted it done to induce miscarriage.

Say What?!?

Just so long as we are not perfusing Ladysmith any more than she already is. 

Too late. My brain...she is broken.
Can I at least clock those legislators with a shoe? I need to throw a shoe at somebody over this.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Don't worry, you can always throw one at fistful... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »
Say What?!?

Too late. My brain...she is broken.
Can I at least clock those legislators with a shoe? I need to throw a shoe at somebody over this.

It has gone past the point where you are permitted to ask for permission.

And yes, those legislators are more than acceptable as targets.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
Please explain something to me...

Under what premise are they giving baby-mamas the ok to use lethal force to protect the unborn? Are they saying it's because the baby is a human being (which is nullified by Wade, right?) or because it's something valuable to the mother that just happens to be inside her body? If it's only based on value, could this law then be used to justify lethal force being used to protect something else inside a woman's body, say a baggie of expensive exotic fish? (Hey, it could happen. =D)

Ok, now let me hold onto something in case Skidmark answers.  :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »
That's actually not a bad question, Ladysmith. And one I'd kinda like to see the answer to.

It seems the decision of whether or not a fetus has rights as a human rests with the mother: if she wishes to terminate the pregnancy, it has none. Otherwise, it counts as human (there was a case of a driver hitting and killing a pregnant woman: he was charged with two counts of, I believe, reckless homicide)...

Not going into the whole abortion argument here: just looking at the jurisprudence. Which seems to point to the mother's decision being the deciding factor...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »
What was that guy a few years back who killed his 8-month pregnant (wife/girlfriend)?  He was charged with a double murder, and the news reports even said things such as "The bodies of XX and her baby were found. . . "  Peterson?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »
That was Scott Peterson, charged with 1st degree murder of his wife Laci and 2nd degree murder of his unborn son Connor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Peterson

That's actually not a bad question, Ladysmith. And one I'd kinda like to see the answer to.

Why thank you, Strings.  =)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »
Cool... maybe now, I won't get shoes thrown my way! :D

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
which is nullified by Wade, right?

Given that Wade is a federal decision, and this is state level, it's probably a carefully worded law to prevent it from getting hauled into court by the pro-choicers and nullified that way.

I still fail to see how an assault potentially dangerous enough to cause a miscarriage couldn't count as threat of GBH(at the least) once you consider the side effects, especially for a late term miscarriage.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
It doesn't take much to cause a miscarriage.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »
It doesn't take much to cause a miscarriage.

Doesn't take much to break an 80 year old woman's hip, but it'd still be considered GBH.

Of course, my personal definition of GBH is that you generally NEED to see a doctor/spend time in the hospital for it.

A late term trauma based miscarriage is going to result in a hospital stay or medical intervention.  Thus, GBH is satisfied, and self defense is authorized/approved.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 03:04:50 PM »
A late term trauma based miscarriage is going to result in a hospital stay or medical intervention.  Thus, GBH is satisfied, and self defense is authorized/approved.

Not always. Though I agree it seems like an un-needed bit of law.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Isn't the usual question based on what the "average man" would think was reasonable?

A woman could have a miscarriage, and seem ok by the time of trial, making the "average man" think she had over-reacted...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Please explain something to me...

Under what premise are they giving baby-mamas the ok to use lethal force to protect the unborn? Are they saying it's because the baby is a human being (which is nullified by Wade, right?) or because it's something valuable to the mother that just happens to be inside her body? If it's only based on value, could this law then be used to justify lethal force being used to protect something else inside a woman's body, say a baggie of expensive exotic fish? (Hey, it could happen. =D)

Ok, now let me hold onto something in case Skidmark answers.  :lol:

Sorry to be late - I was getting rid of another build-up of excess fluids.  3 days in the hurtspital peeing my brains out (avg 3.75 liters/day), and now am on a 1,000 cc/day fluid restriction.  I do not know why I was waterlogged, but for the next few months I better not hear any female complain about feeling bloated unless she wants to hear every detail of my recent stay.

Anyhow, to respond to your query -- I posted the text of the bill Re: Protect your unborn baby - okay in OK  « Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »  so you could read it and see just how many different kinds of stupid were used in writing it.  I know it makes your head hurt, but you really need to read it through to the end.

Yes, in the face of Roe v Wade they define an unborn child as a human being for purposes of this law.  I did not see where that definition is extended to any other laws currently on the books.

As for your implanted exotic fish tangent - it's a no-go.  Fish is still fish, and therefore at best strangly-stored property.  AFAIK only after dark in Texas are you justified in yousing deadly lethal force to protect property.

stay safe.

skidmark

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
Welcome back, Skidmark.

I'm sorry to read that you were in the hospital.
I hope you get better soon and I promise not to mention any female water weight gain.

I was secretly thinking that you'd gone to smack some sense into those legislators and was going to offer you the best of my footwear in case you were (sandals are particularly good for slaps upside the head). =D

I suppose I can go read about that law as you suggested.
*kicks rock*But it's much better and funnier when you break it all down for us. =(  :lol:

Hey Strings, do you have some aspirin I can borrow? I don't think the super economy bottle I have on hand is going to be enough.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
Do I look like a drug peddler? :P

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
 :lol: :laugh: :lol:

C'mon man...I heard you got that Motrin.  =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Compliments from Ladysmith are guaranteed to overcome my reluctance to get folks to do their own brainwork.  Here goes!

The Legislature finds that:
1.  Violence and abuse are often higher during pregnancy than during any other time in a woman’s lifetime;
2.  Women are more likely to suffer increased abuse as a result of unintended pregnancies;
3.  Younger women are at a higher risk for pregnancy-associated homicide;
4.  A pregnant or recently pregnant woman is more likely to be a victim of homicide than to die of any other cause;
5.  Homicide and other violent crimes are the leading cause of death for women of reproductive age;
6.  Husbands, ex-husbands or boyfriends are often the perpetrators of pregnancy-associated homicide or violence;
7.  Moreover, when husbands, ex-husbands or boyfriends are involved, the violence is often directed at the unborn child and/or intended to end or jeopardize the pregnancy; and
8.  Violence against a pregnant woman puts the life and bodily integrity of both the pregnant woman and the unborn child at risk.

Eight reasons women who are pregnant are at high risk for being the victim of violence leading to death.  Nothing here about harm to the unborn child yet.  Hang on, more to come.

As used in this section:
1.  "Another" means a person other than the pregnant woman;
2.  "Deadly force" means force which, under the circumstances in which it is used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical harm;
3.  "Force" means violence, compulsion, or constraint exerted upon or against another;
4.  "Embryo" means a human embryo as defined in Section 1-728.1 of Title 63 of the Oklahoma Statutes;
5.  "Pregnant" means the female reproductive condition of having an unborn child in the woman’s body;
6.  "Unborn child" means the offspring of human beings from conception until birth; and
7.  "Unlawful force" means force which is employed without the consent of the pregnant woman and which constitutes an offense under the criminal laws of this state or an actionable tort.

We now distinguish between an "embryo" and an "unborn child".  "Embryo" means "a human organism that is derived by fertilization, parthonenesis, cloning, or any other means from one or more human gamets or human diploid cells." http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/OK_Statutes/CompleteTitles/os63.rtf @ pg 120 Besides one definition being extremely technical and the other very broad and simple, what's the difference?  I suggest you look further ar Title 63, Section 1-278 et seq. regarding stuff like abortions (HINT!)

A.  A pregnant woman is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect her unborn child if:
1.  Under the circumstances as the pregnant woman reasonably believes them to be, she would be justified in using force or deadly force to protect herself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force she reasonably believes to be threatening her unborn child; and
2.  She reasonably believes that her intervention and use of force or deadly force are immediately necessary to protect her unborn child.
B.  This affirmative defense to criminal liability does not apply to:
1.  Acts committed by anyone other than the pregnant woman;
2.  Acts where the pregnant woman would be obligated to retreat, to surrender the possession of a thing, or to comply with a demand before using force in self-defense.  However, the pregnant woman is not obligated to retreat before using force or deadly force to protect her unborn child, unless she knows that she can thereby secure the complete safety of her unborn child; or
3.  The defense of human embryos existing outside of a woman’s body.

Let's look at this stuff.

First:
1.  Under the circumstances as the pregnant woman reasonably believes them to be, she would be justified in using force or deadly force to protect herself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force she reasonably believes to be threatening her unborn child; and
2.  She reasonably believes that her intervention and use of force or deadly force are immediately necessary to protect her unborn child.

The pregnant woman is justified in using force or deadly force to protect herself against force threatening the unborn child.  Sort of a conundrum, no?  As previously asked, can a woman protect her unborn child without protecting herself?  Amazingly, I believe the answer is clearly "YES" as does, apparently, the Oklahoma legislature.  If it were not possible, then they would not have separated justifiable defense of self or another from justifiable defense of an unborn child.  Part #2 of the above I believe clearly states that to be the case.

As to the entirety of Section B, including the taking away of the protection by the baby-momma of her "human embryos existing outside of a woman’s body," is completely unsupported, as far as I can find in the statements of intent, purposes, and findings.  There is nothing, nada, zilch, zip, bupkis regarding any reason why baby-daddys or complete strangers cannot be justified in using lethal deadly force in defending the unborn child even if the actions threatening death or grevious bodily injury to the unborn child do not threaten the same to the baby-momma.  The only conclusion I can draw is that the Oklahoma legislature firmly believes that only a baby-momma can reasonably believe she knows when her unborn child is threatened with death or grevious bodily harm.

(Is this where I get to blather on about hormone-laden women and the cognitive impediments that arise under such conditions?  Just want to check and see if I'm risking any flying shoes for that before actually going there. :laugh:)

Now, how does any of that provide an answer to Ladysmith's question: "Under what premise are they giving baby-mamas the ok to use lethal force to protect the unborn? Are they saying it's because the baby is a human being (which is nullified by Wade, right?) or because it's something valuable to the mother that just happens to be inside her body?"

Even though I am not an attorney, and certainly not Ladysmith's attorney, and I have not been near any Holiday Inn Expresses in a long while, I can state with a great deal of certainty that the only discernable premise is found under the BISS Doctrine.  Although most of you may not recognize the citation, I am willing to bet the farm that you all were exposed to the BISS Doctrine throughout your childhood, and many of you continue to act under its aegis.  BISS Doctrine = "Because I Said So!"

Taking Ladysmith's question and expanding it to what is should have been, the BISS Doctrine applies especially because the legislature gave the exclusive justification for use of deadly force to baby-mommas and denied that justification to all others.

However, it is my very sure conclusion that the BISS Doctrine is at play when we read the very last section of the law: "B.  This affirmative defense to criminal liability does not apply to: ... 3.  The defense of human embryos existing outside of a woman’s body."  A baby-momma is prevented from using deadly force to protect the human embryo existing outside her body.  BUT the law makes a distinction between a human embryo and an unborn child.  Another bet of the farm that the legislature did not think that one through before committing words to paper!

Hope you are now in need of something better than Motrin.

I believe Ladysmith and I are located relatively close to each other.  I would not mind picking her up for a drive to Oklahoma for some shoe throwing or sandal-slapping fun, but we will have to stop at every other gas station, and if the men's room is not clean I claim a right to whine and say we need to go somewhere else. =)  Anyone else willing to drive to Oklahoma under those conditions is welcome to come along.

stay safe.

skidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »

After you get done in OK, do you mind swinging down south to Austin? Our legislators need a good shoe-clocking on a regular basis....  ;/

It's a strange world where OK is passing better legislation than TX....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »
Roadtrip!!!  :laugh:

Thank you very, very much Skidmark. =)
Yes, I do need something more than Motrin to stop the brain pain, but reading your in-depth yet hilarious analysis was well worth it.  =D

I've been hanging out between 1st and 10th Streets looking for Strings cuz I heard he had some primo Advil, but he hasn't shown up.  =(  :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 04:01:09 AM »
As for your implanted exotic fish tangent - it's a no-go.  Fish is still fish, and therefore at best strangly-stored property.  AFAIK only after dark in Texas are you justified in yousing deadly lethal force to protect property.

Actually, after dark only affects criminal mischief and theft.  Arson, burglary and robbery are full-time justifications.

Robbery is also so wide open that it could easily be applied to almost any theft if the owner (or someone acting in the owner's stead) makes any move to stop it.
29.02.  ROBBERY.  (a)  A person commits an offense if, in the course of committing theft as defined in Chapter 31 and with intent to obtain or maintain control of the property, he:
            (1)  intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another;  or
            (2)  intentionally or knowingly threatens or places another in fear of imminent bodily injury or death.
      (b)  An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.
(Aggravated robbery provides an enhancement to felony 1 for serious bodily injury or robbery of a disabled person or person over 65 - since "disabled" is defined in the code as someone not substantially capable of defending themselves, it would be hard to apply in self defense, but could still be used in defense of a third party.  Either way it's irrelevant other than to possible charges against a surviving attacker, as the enhancement is completely unnecessary to the affirmative defense for the defender.)
1.07.  DEFINITIONS.  (a)  In this code:
(8)  "Bodily injury" means physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical condition.
Thus, if it hurts, it qualifies.  If you can convince a jury that you reasonably believed the person hurting you was planning to take something from you as well, you're justified in using force up to and including deadly force.

So, if you reasonably believe the person is planning to deprive you of your fetus, your pocket lint or your tropical fish by force, in Texas, you can use the necessary force to stop them.

As usual, I'm no lawyer, so be sure to check with one beforehand.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:22:25 AM by KD5NRH »