Author Topic: So you want to build a computer...  (Read 11553 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: So you want to build a computer...
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 09:17:15 PM »
I just built our current PC three or so weeks ago. As had been said, most of the work is choosing the parts. If you're doing this as a hobby or such, go for it. However, if you're looking at the real low end of the scale because of cost, IMHO it is often not a horrible idea to go with something like Dell.

I can build a high end computer and save a good grand over the cost of a similarly configured one from any major manufacturer.  Such a computer would run between $1-1.5k, but would run $2-3k from dell, alienware, etc...

On the low end, I can't beat dell, hp, and the like.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
I can build a high end computer and save a good grand over the cost of a similarly configured one from any major manufacturer.  Such a computer would run between $1-1.5k, but would run $2-3k from dell, alienware, etc...

On the low end, I can't beat dell, hp, and the like.
Agreed. My build would have cost about $900 more coming from Dell, yet still has better quality components.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »
If all you are looking for is an "internet device," there's a bundle on the 'bay under $100.

Blog under construction

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:11 AM »
Everyone has given great advice.  Most are telling you about Newegg.com, great company for others.  I had a order problem that they didn't resolve(shipped an order as complete, missing 4 parts, no parts showed, fought a refund).  So, I'll throw this in the mix an an example. 

I recommend Tigerdirect.com.  They are my only supplier and I have never had a problem with parts/warranties/shipping or anything else.  I run my own business doing custom builds, upgrades and consultaion.  I build, on average, 3 systems a month.  I just ordered this for a customer, at a higher cost...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4614963&CatId=332

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »
I'm looking to replace the processor in my old custom-build computer, probably with a used P4 from ebay.  Can I use any processor that fits the socket, or are there other compatibility issues? 

Or since it has a couple of bulgy capacitors should I regard it as UXO? 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:35:00 AM by fistful »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 01:48:23 AM »
Ask Balog about TigerDirect sometime.

They've been known to cut corners a bit too much.

I run a business doing builds, upgrades, and consultation, too.

I only buy and sell professional-grade corporate lease turn-in machines now.

When you are the warranty, you don't need the deck stacked against you.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »
I've done some buying from TigerDirect, and while I've never really had a problem with them, their prices and selection leave a bit to be desired, though they do sometimes have things Newegg doesn't.

Never had a problem with Newegg in the several years I've been buying them.  I've only had to do two RMA's due to defective products (which is something that happens every once in a while), and while it was a bit annoying it wasn't that bad. 

I'm looking to replace the processor in my old custom-build computer, probably with a used P4 from ebay.  Can I use any processor that fits the socket, or are there other compatibility issues?

I'm pretty sure you can, though if your motherboard doesn't support certain features of the later P4s such as hyperthreading and your CPU has these features you won't get optimal performance. 

Or since it has a couple of bulgy capacitors should I regard it as UXO?

I'd ditch the motherboard if it has severe problems, actually, or even small ones.  Small problems seem to have a tendency to morph into big problems down the road. Though, if this isn't intended as a main computer, it probably doesn't matter all that much, so long as you're aware that you may have to replace the motherboard and quite possibly anything connected to it if it decides to become an ex-motherboard.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
fistful, you need to make sure your motherboard will support the processor.  Your machine uses a socket 478 Pentium IV CPU.  However, not all P4s are created equal.  Make sure your motherboard can support the front side bus (FSB) speed of the processor.  IIRC, Intel made P4s with FSBs of 400, 533, and 800 mHz.  If you put a fast FSB CPU in a motherboard that cannot support it, it may run, but it could be slower than the original CPU.
You should be able to look up the specs of the machine on Dell's support site.  They're pretty good at listing that stuff for the machines they build.
Enter the service tag of the computer on the Dell site to get the exact info for that machine.
PM me if you have questions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2009, 07:37:32 AM »
Nothing good comes from a bulgey capacitor.  Don't put yourself in a position where you do it cheap again and again and again . . .
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
The computer I'm talking about is a custom-build someone made for me, not the Dell. 

It's not a main computer at all.  I've had some serious problems with it, so I'm not expecting to lose much if I screw it up.  I'm guessing the capacitor problems are related to the over-heating problem it had. 

Is replacing the capacitors as simple as soldering in new?  I could get someone to do that for me, but I'm pretty sure he's never dealt with a motherboard before. 

What's a good source for capacitors? 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
Fistful, the same FSB requirements hold for any socket 478 motherboard.  You will need to find out what FSB speed(s) your custom system board can run before you attempt to upgrade the CPU.
Regarding changing capacitors, it can be done, but it should be by someone with the right experience and tools.  It's not for the faint of heart.
I've purchased good quality high-temperature, low resistance capacitors from Mouser Electronics to repair motherboards.  You definitely have to know what you are buying.
You could potentially get an exact replacement of that motherboard if you look around.  Motherboards of that vintage are pretty cheap as a rule.  What is the make/model number of the board?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
If replacing the capacitors costs too much, I won't even mess with it.  It has taught me to really dislike small form factors, although it's over-heating problems are my fault.  But I would think larger cases would have less trouble with heat build-up.  Not much room to work in there, anyway.

The "guy I know" who might wield the solder gun for me is my Dad, professional auto mechanic.  I doubt he's ever worked on a motherboard, but it certainly would not be his first time working with solder.  I don't know if that's enough "experience and tools" to do the job.  Then again, this motherboard might be good practice for one of us. 

Motherboard info:

Gigabyte P4 Titan
GA-8SLML
SiS 650GL chipset

2002 vintage

I have the manual, utility CD, box, etc, for the motherboard.  The (poorly-translated) manual says:

Socket 478 for Intel Micro FC-PGA2 Pentium 4 processor
Supports Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood, 0.13 ~m) processor
Intel Pentium 4 FSB 400MHz

I have tried to look it up on Gigabyte's website, but they don't even list it, even under "legacy."  Too old, maybe? 

Edit:  It's currently using a Celeron, 1.7 GHz.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:49:05 PM by fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Or just replace the motherboard with something newer, with DDR2, USB 2, etc? 

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
Your Google-fu is weak

I'd start over with a new motherboard. That one has pc2100 memory and no SATA.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
Hm.  Okay.  Thanks. 

If I junk this motherboard, can I transfer the XP COA to another system?

(Please don't tell the penguins I'm using Windows.  :O )

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
Fisty, get an Intel D865GVHZ.  Sweet boards.  Socket 478 P4 CPU support with 400/533/800 FSB, so it supports the fastest P4 processors.  It has eight USB 2.0 ports, on-board video, audio and LAN.  It does take DDR memory with dual channel support, PC3200/DDR 400, not DDR2, but that's not a big thing.
It also has both parallel IDE and SATA drive connectors.
I've got two of them in service in shop computers and would like to have a couple more.  They run ~$40-$50 depending on where you find them.

The capacitors to fix the old board run less than $1 each.  But it does take some specialized tools and expertise to desolder and remove the old parts from a circuit board.  If your Dad has never done that before, expect your old board to just be a sacrifice to the experience gods.

If the Windows COA is on the case you would put the new motherboard in, then you are good to go on reinstalling Windows.  There are ways to avoid reinstalling Windows on new hardware, but it is tricky and labor intensive, even for a geek like me who has done it before.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »
Hm.  Okay.  Thanks. 

If I junk this motherboard, can I transfer the XP COA to another system?

(Please don't tell the penguins I'm using Windows.  :O )

I heard that...

So did I...

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
The wife just got back from Goodwill.  She found me a Linuxgruven.com t-shirt.  It was apparently a scam company founded in this area back in 2000 that pretended to do IT work, but just made its money by requiring new hires to pay $3000+ for training.  Folded the next year, after the founder got nabbed for some insurance fraud thing. 

But hey, it's got a penguin on the back.   =)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 03:08:59 AM »
COA is just a number - cut that part of the case off, and tape it to the new case, so you don't lose it.

I recently had a bad experience with Tiger Direct... I probably should have kept escalating until I got someone to speak English...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »
Somewhere, I got the idea it was tied to the system's hardware.  If not, sweet. 

So, what keeps me from using the same COA for all my machines? 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
Against your better judgment, folks, I'm going to keep playing around with the homebrew and its janky motherboard.  I just bought a ten-dollar CPU from Ebay, to upgrade from a 1.7G Celeron to a 2.2G Pentium 4.  I'm also upgrading the memory (DDR) from 256 to 1G.  Guy at work is selling it to me. 

I'm gonna swap some other parts, so just in case the motherboard fries everything, it's wearing the least useful of the hard drives, CD-ROM drives, etc, that I have on hand. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
Against your better judgment, folks, I'm going to keep playing around with the homebrew and its janky motherboard.  I just bought a ten-dollar CPU from Ebay, to upgrade from a 1.7G Celeron to a 2.2G Pentium 4.  I'm also upgrading the memory (DDR) from 256 to 1G.  Guy at work is selling it to me. 

I'm gonna swap some other parts, so just in case the motherboard fries everything, it's wearing the least useful of the hard drives, CD-ROM drives, etc, that I have on hand. 

fistful:

If you ever get down Dallas-way on the first (or third) Saturday of the month, you could do well.

I haven't been in a couple years, but they have "First Saturday" and "Third Saturday" computer & pc part bazaars held under the elevated freeway in the West End of Dallas.

Used to be able to buy any and all sorts of PC stuff and many local vendors would show up and set up temporary shop.

Think, "gun show for computer geeks."  New, used, auctioned-off-by-the-pallet, whatever.  I remember when a one of hte telecoms went tango uniform, this guy was selling Sun workstations out of his box truck straight off the pallet. 

If those don't trip your Zombi-Franken-PC tinkering self, we have three Fry's and one Microcenter.  They rock so hard, I only buy 1/4 of my PC componentry online, these days.  They make BestBuyCompUSACircuitCity look like pathetic also-rans.

Come to Dallas.  It is Sin City for geeks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »

Not a bad way to go, fistful.  If it dies, you aren't out much.  And you might learn a few things about computers in the meantime.