Author Topic: So you want to build a computer...  (Read 11552 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: So you want to build a computer...
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2009, 07:47:40 PM »
I'm told that updating BIOS is something scary, so I'll give it the first go with that machine.  My geek-fu is weak enough, that almost anything can be a learning experience.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Updating a BIOS is only scary if something goes wrong.  :O  =D

Seriously, make sure your floppy drive is clean and functional, and you use a good quality floppy disk if you go that route.  Not so much of a concern if you can do the update from a thumb drive.

Not mandatory, but it wouldn't hurt to put the system on a UPS if you have one, just in case the power decides to blip in the middle of the update.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »

Crap.  I can't figure out which is cooler.  The cardboard computer or the computer with the StupidaPeripherals. 

The computer-in-a-cardboard-box, out and away. Visualizing that gave me the best laugh this week.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2009, 12:31:25 AM »
But visualize the cardboard computer with stupidamouse, stupidakeyboard and stupidamonitor. 

Rocketman: UPS, I has one.  I has two, actually. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »
Not a bad way to go, fistful.  If it dies, you aren't out much.  And you might learn a few things about computers in the meantime.

And I have two other machines that I could probably upgrade with that Pentium I'm getting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
Well, the build-a-computer project may be pushed back even farther.  I just purchased a Dell GX620 for about one bill.  It has the good stuff I had been hankering for - a Gig of DDR2, 2.0 USB, with 6 in back and 2 in front.  2 USABLE ports in front, as opposed to these old Gateways and this old Dell with the funky grey door in front. 

It should be a good fit, because I already have the XP Pro install disk and drivers/utilities disk for this particular model.

Now, I'm just going to buy a student-license copy of MS Office, and some moar RAMs for these old machines, and maybe a spare monitor, and this outbreak of computer stuff-getting will probably subside for a while.