Author Topic: Hockey mom, Biker babe...  (Read 4816 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Hockey mom, Biker babe...
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
Aside from what you may think of her politics, we have a pretty cool governor.  I guess this airs tonight.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20275559,00.html

Sarah Palin to Appear on American Chopper
By Alicia Dennis

Originally posted Wednesday April 29, 2009 12:55 PM EDT

Paul Teutul Sr. and Sarah Palin

Turns out the hockey mom is also a motorcycle maven.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin recently welcomed the crew from Orange County Choppers – whose custom motorcycle business is featured on TLC's American Chopper – to Anchorage where show star Paul Teutul Sr. researched building a bike to honor Alaska's 50-year anniversary of being a state.

"It means so much to the state of Alaska that these guys are building this bike that will honor statehood here," Palin says in the episode, airing April 30 at 9 p.m.

Paul Sr. hangs out with the Governor in her office and talks about the Alaskan weather, snowmobiling and fishing in the summer. "I inherit whatever [husband] Todd rejects from the year before," Palin says.

After inviting the OCC crew back for the summer months, she suggests having fun Alaska style, saying, "We'll ride the bike to the fishing hole."

Although initially nervous about the meeting, Paul Sr. says that he felt Palin was "a real down to earth person to talk to."

From Alaska, the OCC crew heads to Finland in an effort to market their bikes overseas.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Hockey mom, Biker babe...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
Maybe while they're in Finland they can look around and see how some really nice clean choppers are built. I kind of like Paul Sr. just because he is a jerk but otherwise that show is a slight against people who are out there unknown applying real mechanical talent and making beautiful bikes. I will say this, I hate the style of bikes they turn out, too much show, not enough go, junked up looking stuff. That said, I looked at some of their bikes in Florida. The guy painting them and the guy welding them has some real talent and I bet you don't see him on the show because it sure is not the close your eyes and tack, then whack something with a whiz-wheel Pauly.

Cool governor though, especially if you compare him to the sack of rattlesnakes and manure we call a governor.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
What I respect about the guys on the American Chopper show is the real gift and skill they have.  They look at a blank piece of paper, envision what they want the bike to look like, and make it happen.  No restrictions based on what they have on the shelves in terms of parts.  Make what they want.  That is a gift, and they also have the skill to make it happen.  Except for Mikey.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »
I can't criticize too much, because I do absolutely nothing with metal-fab, or vehicle work or mechanics. However, even I can tell the Tuettels are far from the pinnacle of custom chopper work.

It seems to me they start with a stock-pre-fabbed frame, and then weld up a funny gas-tank, and tack on a bunch of water-jet cutout do-dads... over and over and over. Punctuated with some P.R. theme bike reveal, a few family fights, and some demo-derby in the parking lot.

Meanwhile, I recall watching Jesse James, who kicked off the whole "Custom Chopper Cable Show" phenomena with a few small documentaries, fabbing up a frame from pipe-stock by hand with a blowtorch, a vise, and bending it with his belly while wearing a leather apron and a few asbestos pads using a wooden jig that catches fire to match the curve he wanted.

And even further than that, in brief glimpses you see those chopper and motorcycle conventions, there's guys working out of complete hole in the wall shops that are making completely gonzo bikes up from scratch, with very advanced stuff like Buell-style fuel-in-frame, and design work that looks as finished as anything Harley-Davidson or any of the Japanese makers puts out.
I promise not to duck.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
Is Palin really a MC maven or is she just playin' typical politico games to appeal to a specific demographic????

Crossed arms, tightly crossed legs. Does one detect tight facial and neck muscles?

Doesn't appear to me she was terribly happy to be where she was.

Just sayin'...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
  Cool governor though, especially if you compare him to the sack of rattlesnakes and manure we call a governor.

Say what you will about your governor, I bet he knows Sarah Palin's a girl.  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
Is Palin really a MC maven or is she just playin' typical politico games to appeal to a specific demographic????

Crossed arms, tightly crossed legs. Does one detect tight facial and neck muscles?

Just sayin'...

I noticed that too.  Body language in this one picture doesn't seem to imply comfort.

It is just one picture, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
I noticed that too.  Body language in this one picture doesn't seem to imply comfort.

It is just one picture, though.

It could also just be cold. Paul Sr. is wearing a coat.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
It's also possible to like motorcycles but not that dude.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
I think you folks are reading too much into the body language.

I'm not a big fan of radical customized bikes. There's a fine line between tasteful and gaudy, and too often that line is crossed, especially on that show.

There was a custom bike around the Milwaukee area that was very nicely done. Raked, but not too much. The motif was southwestern. The tank was black and had a very nicely done airbrush job of a western scene. On the sissy bar were some indian beads and a feather. The welds were ground down so that the joints on the frame looked seamless.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
I actually happened to catch the part with Gov. Palin last night.  She seemed quite comfortable.

As for OCC and what they build, AJ hit the nail on the head.  The only real fabrication they do is the tank and an occasional fender or someother little piece.  Most of the stuff, including the frames, is off the shelf aftermarket stuff.  If anyone is interested, they also just became a Ducati dealership and to mark the event, they "customized" a Monster 1100.  It was less than impressive.  They made another Spiderman bike and it looked pretty bad, and not in a good way.

http://picasaweb.google.com/slocumjon/OCCDucati?feat=directlink#
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »
It's also possible to like motorcycles but not that dude.

You can count me into that circle. Those wanna-bes are a disgrace. Most of the dolts discovery channels shows are ridiculous, Billy Lane's "bikes" mostly wouldn't run or if they did they caught fire, and then he killed another biker in a DUI accident. Jessie James isn't too bad but he is a jerk. Russel Mitchell/Exile Cycles is pretty good as was Indian Larry. But the Teutul's are a bad joke.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

Just sayin'...

I don't think she rides bikes but she snowmachines so she has no fear of high-speed 2-cycle engines.  And forgive me if this is too bluntly stated, but what part of a state politician, participating in an event designed around the statehood anniversary of their state, constitutes "pandering" to any audience.

For G-d's sake, not everything political is a damn conspiracy or has an ulterior motive.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

Just sayin'...

You need to study body language more/better.

Which leg is crossed over which is crucial. Ms. Palin's legs are crossed toward the dude. That's an indication of inclusion. If her right leg had been crossed over the left, that would have been a signal of rejection and a hint that she wanted out of the conversation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
...For G-d's sake, not everything political is a damn conspiracy or has an ulterior motive.

I disagree.

Everything political does have an ulterior motive. That is so freaking true it should be engraved in stone somewhere. It is a fundamental theorem of politics 101. It is how politicians live, eat, breathe. It is an internalized concept for any politician who has been one for more than - say - a year.

Successful politicians have a motive for everything they do, say, even what they wear, and hell - the schools they send their kids to.

Ulterior motive = politician.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

Everything political does have an ulterior motive. That is so freaking true it should be engraved in stone somewhere. It is a fundamental theorem of politics 101. It is how politicians live, eat, breathe. It is an internalized concept for any politician who has been one for more than - say - a year.

Successful politicians have a motive for everything they do, say, even what they wear, and hell - the schools they send their kids to.

!!!QFT!!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »
I disagree.

No offence, but that only really applies to the newer "political class" kind of politicians - the Obamas, Blairs, Clintons of this world, for whom everything is done in order to maintain an image.  They are in the dominant position at the moment, but they do not exclusively represent politicians.  Older political figures just tended to conceal their faults.

Whatever one thinks of her, it should be fairly obvious that Palin is not a member of that class, hence their sneering, belittling contempt for the Alaska Governor.   
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
...Whatever one thinks of her, it should be fairly obvious that Palin is not a member of that class, hence their sneering, belittling contempt for the Alaska Governor.   

I have as much respect for Palin and her views as anyone here. If she ran for President I'd vote for her without a 2nd thought (hmmm... that didn't sound right).

But let's not kid ourselves. Palin is a politician. Maybe even an honest one. As an Alaskan she may not have to play the image game to the same extent as some do in COTUS but she will have to start or at the National level she will not, cannot be successful. And once she starts - just like with some drugs - she won't be able to stop.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:05:13 AM by Werewolf »

Fight Me Online

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
I have as much respect for Palin and her views as anyone here. If she ran for President I'd vote for her without a 2nd thought (hmmm... that didn't sound right).

But let's not kid ourselves. Palin is a politician. Maybe even an honest one but if she's going to be successful in the grander scheme of US politics at the national level she will have to play the game or she will lose it.

Perhaps, though one might point out that rules of the game change from electoral cycle to electoral cycle - what worked for Obama now will almost certainly not work in 2012.  The type of politician that Obama and Blair represent - all smart suits, "moderate views", being a lawyer, being well-spoken and with photogenic families (and which your description is spot on for) are markedly different to the likes of Palin. 

It could well be that by then, enough people in enough of the states are disgusted with the machine politics, the spin, the nanny-statism, the out-of-control spending and the incompetence of the Obama administration, and end up looking for a normal, human, political figure.  She probably wont have to play the 2008 game, since she will be far better off playing the 2012 one.

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
Motorcycle riders are already her constituents. 

There's no reason to pretend to support motorsports or cycling in this state, she already has our votes.

Maybe, just maybe, since the bike is to honor the 50th Anniversary of statehood, AND as Governor she represents the state, AND any publicity for the state is good publicity, she did it strictly out of a sense of duty to the state.

Because that's what we elect out politicians to be, cheerleaders for the state regardless of whether they, in this case, ride motorcycles or not.

None of that involves any ulterior or "political" motivation, just an honest doing of one's job.

To cynically insist that politicians can't just do things because they are the right thing to do in their position is part of the current decline in American politics.

We decide we're going to be all clever and hip-cynical because that makes us "better" or "smarter" somehow and thus we consider simple honorable behavior impossible and prefer to think of ourselves as "too smart / slick" to get one over on.

In my opinion cynicism should be a reasoned response, reserved for particular circumstances only after careful investigation.  For it to be an automatic reflex reduces it to an affectation of hipness.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 05:27:47 PM by carebear »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »
We decide we're going to be all clever and hip-cynical because that makes us "better" or "smarter" somehow and thus we consider simple honorable behavior impossible and prefer to think of ourselves as "too smart / slick" to get one over on.

In my opinion cynicism should be a reasoned response, reserved for particular circumstances only after careful investigation.  For it to be an automatic reflex reduces it to an affectation of hipness.   

Preach it, Brother!

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
maybe she went on the show hoping to get the bike.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
Two Russians soldiers, a General and a Private are walking down a dirt road together when they spy a pile of some unknown substance.

They both stop and ponder the substance and after a few moments the General tells the private, "pick up".

The private picks up the unknown substance and the General asks, "What feel like?" and the private replies, "Feel like *expletive deleted*it".

The General says to the private, "smellll..." and the private smells the unknown substance.

The General asks, "What smell like?".
"Smell like *expletive deleted*it!", the private replies.

The General orders the private, "Taaaaste!". The private tastes the unknown substance, grimaces and gags.

"What taste like?", the General asks.

Risking his future well being the Private yells, "TASTES LIKE *expletive deleted*it".

Well - the general considers the private's responses carefully for a bit and then matter of factly states:

"Feels like *expletive deleted*it; smells like *expletive deleted*it; tastes like *expletive deleted*it. Hmmmmm... Must be *expletive deleted*it".

Palin is a politician. Cynical or not there's no denying that.

Fight Me Online