Author Topic: Supreme Court Justice Souter To Retire  (Read 9622 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Supreme Court Justice Souter To Retire
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »
Supreme Court Justice David Souter is going to retire at the end this current term.  No real change in the make-up of the court is anticipated, given how Souter typically votes, and the type of nominee Pres. Obama is likely to send up.

From NPR:

NPR.org, April 30, 2009 ·
NPR has learned that Supreme Court Justice David Souter is planning to retire at the end of the current court term.

The vacancy will give President Obama his first chance to name a member of the high court and begin to shape its future direction.

At 69, Souter is nowhere near the oldest member of the court. In fact, he is in the younger half of the court's age range, with five justices older and just three younger. So far as anyone knows, he is in good health. But he has made clear to friends for some time that he wanted to leave Washington, a city he has never liked, and return to his native New Hampshire. Now, according to reliable sources, he has decided to take the plunge and has informed the White House of his decision.

The story is here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103694193

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Supreme Court Justice Souter To Retire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:07 AM »
Not surprised.  Frankly, I think the guy was starting to get senile anyway.

I don't think this won't change the balance of the supreme court.  He was pretty far left, and even with the democrats in charge I think Obama would have trouble appointing someone further left than Souter.  Too many blue dogs that might side with the Republicans.  Hell, he's having trouble stocking his own cabinet; he may have to choose a moderate just to get someone nominated.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:40:15 AM »
Hell, he's having trouble stocking his own cabinet; he may have to choose a moderate just to get someone nominated.

Yeah, but a SCOTUS appointment is a far more attractive plum than a position as undersecretary of giveaways in the current cabinet.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

castle key

• friend
May Day
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
Grrrrrr..

And Souter announces that he will retire.

Irony, anyone?

At least it is Friday!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
I'm betting that one of the Clintons (Bill or Hillary) will be nominated to that spot....as payback for the election help....

Won't THAT just make the Heller cert cases all shiny?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: May Day
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:15:20 AM »
Pan, Pan, Pan!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: May Day
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:48:45 AM »
News today was opining that Souter is a liberal anyways, and Obama will replace him with another.
I merged these up since they are about the same thing.  And since I'm pretty sure where this is going, its getting moved, too.  Damn that's alot of work.  I need a beer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:52:11 AM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »
Would someone get Fly320 some bread already.  Poor guy must be hungry.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »
I'm betting that one of the Clintons (Bill or Hillary) will be nominated to that spot....

I doubt it.  Congress seems to like either judges who already serving on a federal bench or lawyers who have a long history of arguing before the SC.  The Clintons are neither, and I think even the current congress would balk at such an obvious political move.  Also, Bill Clinton isn't even a current member of the bar;  he resigned before they could get around to disbarring him after the whole perjury thing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:13:27 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
I doubt it.  Congress seems to like either judges who already serving on a federal bench or lawyers who have a long history of arguing before the SC.  The Clintons are neither, and I think even the current congress would balk at such an obvious political move.  Also, Bill Clinton isn't even a current member of the bar;  he resigned before they could get around to disbarring him after the whole perjury thing.

Wasn't Bill also banned from arguing cases before the Supreme Court as well? Wouldn't that be ironic for him to get the nod. :O
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
Obama's first criterion, we've learned, is "empathy."  And this from a guy who was, we have been told a million times, was the editor at Harvard Law School.

I think Obama has the perfect candidate in his immediate circle...

MICHELLE.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HallMonitor

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »
Bill Clinton continues to have been disbarred to argue before the SCOTUS bench, since the whole Monicagate thing blew over. (No pun was intended). Would be rather ironic if he were nominated, despite the fact that the Clintons and the Obamas aren't exactly bussom buddies.

I believe Hillary Clinton continues to be more interested in the White House, already has a highly visible and prominent executive position to give credence to her future arguments about foreign policy and affairs.

Its only fitting that the president will maintain the balance of the court by nominating a young, far left reaching liberal to the bench. I'm fairly sure he already has a short list of nominees to quickly fill a seat, considering the senior justice, John Paul Steven recently turned 89 years old.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Obama the Narcissist picks his perfect reflection: Michelle.

She is the greatest woman in America and no one has more empathy than Michelle.  You can look it up.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
Silver lining time... I can hear the circus music already. This upcoming nomination and confirmation should keep congress from actually doing anything for a few months. And that is a win for us.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Silver lining time... I can hear the circus music already. This upcoming nomination and confirmation should keep congress from actually doing anything for a few months. And that is a win for us.
Even better is the thought that we may not end up with a total lefty wackjob.  I just read an article at fox news and it mentioned a committee rule that any candidate has to have at least 1 Republican vote.  With Specter switching sides, they really lost the one guy that would probably give them that vote.  Of course, this all means nothing because, like the House Dems, the Senate Dems will change the rules to get what they want and we'll all get screwed.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Reifen

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
Well, thing is, that same article mentioned that they are unlikely to change the rules to get what they want because of how dangerous a precedent that sets.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »
Given how some of the "conservative" nominees have turned out in the past, maybe we'll end up with a net improvement over Souter.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »
I don't think this won't change the balance of the supreme court.  He was pretty far left, and even with the democrats in charge I think Obama would have trouble appointing someone further left than Souter. 
So I take it you think Bill Ayers and Ward Churchill are out of the running?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
Maybe we'll get lucky and Obama will pick a Bizarro-Souter.

Someone who looks lib but then swings conservative.

Wouldn't that make for a fine "change."   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
Maybe we'll get lucky and Obama will pick a Bizarro-Souter.

Someone who looks lib but then swings conservative.

Wouldn't that make for a fine "change."   =D

I like it.  Heh, heh, heh.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
Not surprised.  Frankly, I think the guy was starting to get senile anyway.

I don't think this won't change the balance of the supreme court.  He was pretty far left, and even with the democrats in charge I think Obama would have trouble appointing someone further left than Souter.  Too many blue dogs that might side with the Republicans.  Hell, he's having trouble stocking his own cabinet; he may have to choose a moderate just to get someone nominated.

Yeah, but better the devil you know than a younger one appointed by a Marxist that you don't.

This has been our fear all along. The current mooks in charge can do a lot of damage to the country, but not like the long-term damage that can occur as a result of appointing a fellow traveler to a lifetime appointment on the SCOTUS.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
He was pretty far left, and even with the democrats in charge I think Obama would have trouble appointing someone further left than Souter.

And the Supreme Court is not supposed to be political.  Souter waits until Obama is in office and announces his plans. 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
And the Supreme Court is not supposed to be political.  Souter waits until Obama is in office and announces his plans. 

IIRC he (Souter, that is) stated prior to the election that he'd be retiring if Obama was elected and could pick his replacement. 

It was *ALWAYS* about politics, in this case.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
(R) Appoints Justice > 50-50 chance they'll go liberal

(D) Appoints Justice > precisely 0% chance they'll go conservative.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 03:00:33 AM »
Chief Justice Sears a possible nominee

By Bill Rankin

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears’ name has popped up as a potential nominee to succeed retiring U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter.

Sears, 53, describes herself as a judicial moderate. But court watchers say she has long been one of the state Supreme Court’s most liberal members.

On Friday, Sears declined comment on speculation she could eventually be a high court nominee.
________________________________________________________________________________________

This to me, is the worst thing about the whole whole deal. We will have to live with Obama's choice for the Supreme Court for a lot of years. Souter was pretty Liberal but, at least once in a while he voted with the conservatives. His choice to retire only if Obama was elected was the most Liberal (and extremely political) vote he could make.

Trouble is, we probably wouldn't have done that much better had McCain been elected. =(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:03:38 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G