Author Topic: Star Trek fans bash new movie as "watchable/entertaining"  (Read 39771 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Star Trek fans bash new movie as "watchable/entertaining"
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
Don't everyone comment all at once

Sorry.  I was busy laughing and sending that link to friends.  =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »
...plywood and christmas lights....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
plywood and christmas lights....

IIRC, the budget per episode for the original series ran about $80,000.  The more expensive ones were around $100,000.  That included the star's salaries.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
Screw all this talk of replicators. I want a holodeck, and yes, to enjoy it in ways I can't talk about on APS.  =D

Per Scott Adams of 'Dilbert' fame, the invention of the holodeck would signal the end of civilization, and quite possibly the human race.  For exactly the reasons you can't discuss on APS.

Not too sure he's being tongue-in-cheek, for that matter.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »
Per Scott Adams of 'Dilbert' fame, the invention of the holodeck would signal the end of civilization, and quite possibly the human race.  For exactly the reasons you can't discuss on APS.

Not too sure he's being tongue-in-cheek, for that matter.

Observe the plight of those addicted to Warcrack.  The draw of a holodeck would be infinitely more powerful.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
You guys can go over my head by getting all technical regarding holodecks and such if you want to, but at least I know what the GNDN tubes on the Enterprise were for.  :P
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2009, 01:46:02 PM »
Observe the plight of those addicted to Warcrack.  The draw of a holodeck would be infinitely more powerful.

Worse than the castle-crushing game, then? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
So what's so great about the Wrath of Khan?  Montaban's hair?  It's just as dated and cornball as other Trek films, isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:55:57 PM by fistful »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2009, 06:34:18 PM »
So what's so great about the Wrath of Khan?  Montaban's hair?  It's just as dated and cornball as other Trek films, isn't it?

http://www.khaaan.com/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
You're the man now, dog. 

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2009, 08:00:32 PM »
Saw the movie today w/ the wife. We both enjoyed it. Kinda wish some more classic Star Trek music was in the soundtrack, but it does rear its head at a critical moment, and it's sudden appearance cements what I'm sure they want to be an emotional closing moment. Entertaining and watchable.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

erictank

• friends
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »

BLASPHEMY!!!

Forgive him, brothers, for he knows not what he says...

Aw, the heck with it - it IS Fistful, after all!  =D

Seriously - for a gripping sci-fi action movie, with a GREAT villain and real, touching moments of humanity, it's hard to do better than 'Wrath Of Khan'.  Non-Trek fans might like STIV better - 'Save The Whales' - due to more of a real-world, humorous approach, and I consider that one a fairly-close second for best Trek movie (followed VERY closely by STVIII, 'First Contact', which was the first solely-Next-Gen Trek movie, the one with the Borg - another action-oriented movie), but for my money, STII is the best of the bunch.

AND it has Ricardo Montalban, with his long flowing mane and supposedly-rubber chest (both Montalban and director Nicholas Meyer state that it was Montalban's actual chest muscles - Montalban was apparently a pretty buff guy), chewing on the scenery and channelling Captain Ahab in magnificent style.

Have not been able to go see the new movie myself, yet - working nights through Tuesday AM, dagnabbit, and got plenty to do Tues/Wed/Thurs to get the townhouse ready to go on the market before I go back to work days over NEXT weekend, so I almost certainly won't be seeing it until the weekend of the 22nd.  To make up for it, I'm going to do my best to go see it in IMAX that weekend. =D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
"Good movie" and "Star Trek" do not belong in the same sentence.  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
"Good movie" and "Star Trek" do not belong in the same sentence.  :lol:

But you just put them in the same sentence!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
But you just put them in the same sentence!

And even you saw the incongruity!  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
The ST flicks are amazingly bad for all the success they have had.

STIIWoK is, without a doubt, the best of the lot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
Which is good, because every major city having a symphony or ballet company better serves to absorb all of those who aspire to be musicians or dancers.

No.

It is bad, unless you are one of the minority that likes symphonic msic and ballet.  If you are part of that minority, you get to pick the pocket of ALL the taxpayers, to get what YOU want at a subsusized price, at the expense of musicians and dancers that are ACTUALLY popular, and need no such subsidy.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »

No.

It is bad, unless you are one of the minority that likes symphonic msic and ballet.  If you are part of that minority, you get to pick the pocket of ALL the taxpayers, to get what YOU want at a subsusized price, at the expense of musicians and dancers that are ACTUALLY popular, and need no such subsidy.

I don't think he indicated taxes should be paid to support it, simply that each town having their own ballet would be good.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »
saw it, liked it, ship was AWESOME.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Saw it, loved it. I haven't really seen much of the ones with Kirk, but I grew up watching Voyager. From what little I know about them, Abrams seemed to really try to do it justice, even had classic lines and the way they talked. And the classic red shirt death.   :lol: I almost fell out of my seat laughing when that happened.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
saw it, liked it, ship was AWESOME.

Thanks Lupinus, that's what I really wanted to know.  =)
To me, that's what the show was really all about: The Enterprise.

Of course I'd like to see it for this as well:

And the classic red shirt death.   :lol: I almost fell out of my seat laughing when that happened.

:laugh:

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:37 AM »
Going to see it Saturday, can't wait!

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
So, if there were suddenly thousands of replicators busy on the earth creating new mass, what would that eventually do to Earth's total mass and gravity and such?  :)

Also, if a replicator can turn energy into matter, why not the other way around?  Recycling.  Surely that needs less energy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
So, if there were suddenly thousands of replicators busy on the earth creating new mass, what would that eventually do to Earth's total mass and gravity and such?  :)

Also, if a replicator can turn energy into matter, why not the other way around?  Recycling.  Surely that needs less energy.

Well, that's a huge hole in the "science" of that technology.

When you run the numbers of E=mc^2, it takes a LOT of energy to make just a little bit of mass. And that's if you assume 100% efficiency, which you'll never attain. Even with matter/antimatter technology which theoreoretically is 100% efficient, it's not because the gamma radiation released gets so strong that it starts pushing the reactants away through sheer photon pressure.

E (in Joules) = m (in kilogram) X c (speed of light 3x10^7m/s) is just absofriggenlutely ginormous. The mass of one apple converted into energy if done in a lab in medium to low Earth orbit would essentialy be a small gamma ray burster event that would strip the Earth of it's atmosphere, boil away the oceans, and make the facing half of the planet molten.

So in theory, any ST civilization with replicator/transporter technology could just power the ship for decades off the poo from the toilets, and destroy entire planets and sterlize entire star systems with the mass/energy of just one disposable redshirt crewmember. It really makes the Star Wars universe, the Empire with it's Death Star namely look like amatuers.

I think in some of the ST reference books they recognized this fact and with some handwavium they explained the worst ramifications away stating that transporter/replicator tech is not pure matter/energy conversion, but more just atomic/molecular level dissasembly and re-assembly at the destination.  And that the people/objects transported don't actually convert.

I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »
the Star Wars universe, the Empire with it's Death Star namely look like amatuers.

http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner